Remove freewheel Hub Motor

Looncan

1 mW
i have a nine continent hub motor and i can't seem to get my 6" gear puller around the wheel as the freewheel is obstructing it, i got it on but i'm really confused as to how to remove it :?:

I want to open my nine continet hub motor for a range of reasons but this pesky freewheel is in the way
ANC_11.jpg

↑↑that's not my hub motor in the picture but it kinda looks like it

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68435&hilit=+freewheel

I have an electric bike :shock: the removal tool is not for an ebike motorhub for a start there are no bolts on the freewheels of motorhubs (at least mine) that could cause an issue when i go to remove a bolt and nut that doesn't exist :D

so basically i'm going to have to read hundreds of forum posts and threads to find how to remove the freewheel on a nine continent motor hub motor

Am I missing something here? If you have a freewheel then it is attached to the motor by a large screw thread and you must unwind it. A freehub is splined and slides onto the hub. Different things!

Looncan said:
I have an electric bike :shock: the removal tool is not for an ebike motorhub for a start there are no bolts on the freewheels of motorhubs (at least mine) that could cause an issue when i go to remove a bolt and nut that doesn't exist :D

so basically i'm going to have to read hundreds of forum posts and threads to find how to remove the freewheel on a nine continent motor hub motor

Trying to help my friend. Removing the freewheel from a hub motor is basically the same as removing it from any bicycle hub.

The problem is that the hub motor axle is too thick and standard bicycle freewheel removal tool must be drilled/machined to enlarge the ratchet drive hole to 14mm or 9/16". It's all in the thread posted/offered.

Punx0r said:
Am I missing something here? If you have a freewheel then it is attached to the motor by a large screw thread and you must unwind it. A freehub is splined and slides onto the hub. Different things!

No nuts, no bolts just 1 long extruding piece of black metal that looks like it attaches to the hub as the image shows below, so using a freewheel tool to remove an non-existing nut or bolt would be counter productive to my problems

http://s29.postimg.org/8ykunjw7r/IMG_0554.jpg

Try this thread - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64229&p=962110&hilit=freewheel+removal+tool#p962110

Right okay it turns out i just bought the wrong sizes of gear pullers i thought if i removed the freewheel it would have gave me enough wiggle room, i boughtthe 3" 4" and 6" version of gear pullers from ebay, great wrong size

the most popular ones on ebay were the 3" 4" and 6" sets, so i figured it must be the correct ones, nope, oh well i love spending cash on ebay on the wrong things when i'm broke :?

For the love of Allah do not use a gear puller on that!

From your photo it's clear you have the older style screw-on freewheel. The thing sticking out the centre is the motor axle, it's just like the axle on an ordinary bike wheel... You need a freewheel removal tool. It slides over the axle and engages the internal splines you can see inside the freewheel. Then you unscrew the freewheel while holding the wheel/motor still.

The complicating factor is, as mentioned, many ordinary bicycle freewheel removal tools will not fit over a motor axle because it's thicker than a 9mm bicycle axle. Therefore you need a tool that does fit, or modify a regular bicycle one.

If you are lucky someone in the UK has one to sell. If not the standard Shimano freewheel remover will work if you drill it out to just over 12mm (14 for some axles). You use a big wrench on the freewheel tool to rotate it counterclockwise to remove the freewheel non-destructively. you could smash it out with a big hammer and drift on the gears, but only if you have to. If you have a freehub, then you cannot do it this way. different tool, I believe but have never had one.
otherDoc

Oh yeah, you will need an 8" gear puller if you remove the freewheel. I do not think that the freewheel needs removing just to open the motor. You just open the screws on the edge (match marking where the wheel cover came off of BEFORE you pull on the cover with the puller. I hope this helps. Incidentally why are you removing the side cover anyways?

just spent the last hour sawing the metal tip off my gear-puller (by hand) so it would fit without having to take off my freewheel (not that i think removing the freewheel would have made any difference) my hands are bloody and raw

Now my gear-puller fits so i placed it on like instructed and started twisting and POP/CRACK i've now broke my gearhub casing and freewheel :'(

i have it all opened now but my casing with the freewheel is now broken and bent, sucks/ no ebike for me, worst part about being broke is when everything breaks

back to the bus for me...

Looncan said:
Punx0r said:

No nuts, no bolts just 1 long extruding piece of black metal that looks like it attaches to the hub as the image shows below, so using a freewheel tool to remove an non-existing nut or bolt would be counter productive to my problems

Yikes, bad attitude and an unwillingness to listen and learn. I hope you learned something through destroying the side cover. The good news is, you can likely get a replacement side cover for a reasonable price.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41&product_id=131 I know this place sells replacement side covers for a motor they sell (MAC), this isn't for your motor, I am just giving an illustrative example.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41&product_id=100 This is an example of the freewheel tool you needed(again, not necessarily for your specific freewheel, there are different ones, just an example). It goes over the axle and literally into the freewheel, sort of like a socket wrench. Then you have some flat surface to put a wrench on or a bench vice on. If you get another side cover, you are still going to need that freewheel, or I guess you can just buy a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp1u5YKMRFQ This video will help illustrate.

It is better to know where you are going than to get there quickly, do not mistaken activity for achievement.

I missed the point here: I thought you were just trying to remove the freewheel from the motor. I now see you were trying to remove the motor cover with freewheel still attached and that should have worked OK. Sorry to see it broke, the covers on these things can be fragile. I've never tried a puller on them, just a flat-bladed screwdriver on opposite sides and wiggle it up the shaft.

That really sucks, i hate taking the bus.

Ebikes.ca sells side covers for the 9 continent motor. I believe they sell the covers that fit the newer style 9C the ones with the disk brake compatible. To me it looks like you have a new motor, so they should fit.

If your motor is totally shot now, you could ask in the items wanted for a used motor Cheap since you are broke. So many members here have motors hanging around that they do not use but are not worth much. good luck.

Back