Replace or these still good?

DaLanMan

10 kW
On my latest build, I have a set of forks that have been modded and reinforced, should I dump these? or keep them as is?

Also, still trying to figure out if this is a drum brake or something completely different.

Attachments

• PXL_20240416_191939325.jpg
    PXL_20240416_191939325.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240416_191947451.jpg
    PXL_20240416_191947451.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
Guessing that's a Sachs drum brake hub from the shell design. 1970s or earlier?

Fork's probalby fine, looks like typical steel stuff; if it's not rusted out or deformed at the crown, etc.

(I'm using the Sachs torpedo 3speed IGH with coaster brake in my in-frame drivetrain of SB Cruiser, very similar shell but much smaller diameter).

would swapping to a disk brake be an upgrade? Trying to figure out if I am gonna put in the work on this rim, or swap it out...

Discs can have much more stopping power than drums. Drums are much longer lasting, much lower maintenance, more consistent in different weather conditions, cleaner, and quieter than discs. For the factory conditions Worksman trikes are intended to operate in, every point is in favor of drums. Change the conditions to include steep grades and/or high speeds, and discs might be a better choice.

still trying to figure out if this is a drum brake or something completely different.
??.. what else did you think it could be,…have you even tried to see if it acts as a brake ?
Other than on a Road race bike, or BMX, i cannot imagine riding with a rigid fork these days, and that one does not look any better than cheap Walmart kit.
I hope you are not intending to motorise that frame/fork, …find something better !
Your first thought was correct,… dump it !

Last edited:
Your first thought was correct,… dump it !

As per usual, ignore this jabroni.

It's a drum brake hub that Worksman uses as a cost-added upgrade to their bikes and trikes. I don't know who makes it; it looks more like moped stuff than bicycle stuff, and its performance is underwhelming but immortal. If you want to get silly in pursuit of more braking power, you can add a caliper brake and pull both of them with a dual cable lever.

I just went through the annoying experience of searching out and buying a 1" steer tube suspension fork to retrofit one of my own bikes that was getting too fast for its rigid fork. It kind of sucked. That trike isn't like that. It won't/should never go too fast for a rigid fork.

I am planning on a fairly underwheming motor for it. It is literally intended for a little old lady to use in lieu of her car since I have no idea, it is my kiddo's ex BF who reached out to me and wanted this put together for the recipient, so it is gonna toddle around the hills of the mid peninsula, and get her to the grocery etc. I figured with how these beasts are intended to be used this will give her many many years of happy service.

Ok, so it looks like I am gonna actually put rubber on the rears and take it for a peddle.

Now, anyone have any idea what the best practice is for cutting an old super hard solid tire off what might be a moped frame? This thing is a lil bit scurry...

If it is stable, should I just leave it on? I mean it is literally a solid rubber tire from what I can tell, those things are nigh invincible... well, from my experience with the HMMV tires that did not get changed, just re-ground every 15k miles... to give you 15k more bone jarring kidney destroying miles...

Back