Road Bike or Comfort Bike?

Everything i have researched is that a dd hub is pretty much maintenance free versus a mid drive. Having owned 2 dd hubs and 2 geared hubs i have no expeirence with a mid drive so i can only speculate this theory. please feel free to correct me if i am mistaken. I think both have their merits and in the end it is a personal choice to whatever works best for you. Good luck to the op and hope it works for the intended purpose.

I wish someone had told the now unused 2qty DD (9C) hubs with broken freewheel covers I’ve owned that they were bullet proof? Try meaningful pedaling with threaded freewheels on the small cog and see how long that intense leverage on the cheap cast freewheel cover holds up over years/miles?

Fact is, everything has pros and cons. Brake pads are simply not that big of deal for me. It’s ultimately about the weight, feel, overall performance (hills, off road, deep loose stuff, fat tire bike), ease of tire maintenance, etc.

My opinion isn’t for everyone but I’m just saying that for 12 years I’ve lived/worked extensively with DD/Gear Hub motors and more recently Bafang HD/02 mid drives. Be assured I’m not going back to a hub motor anytime soon…

cwah said:
tomjasz said:
cwah said:
Can the bbshd achieve this level of reliability, long term?
Apples and oranges. The DD cannot do many of the rides a BBSHD can. Even the venerable MAC is outperformed in hill country. I have them all from a small GD to the MAC and a 1000WDD. Two 350W BBS01's and a BBSHD. Each has their place. There is no clear winner or single motor to do it all, EXCEPT perhaps the BBSHD. IF the buyer gets the right BBSHD, no lateral play, no funky builds, it's motor with a b=very long life. Sadly Bafang is sloppy. But who ever said that a mid drive wasn't going to be more maintenance? I knew that from the first thread I read before even buying a mid drive.

Apple to apples make the conversation much more interesting.

I'd be interested by reliability story about the bbshd. I do not have tried it, but my experience with bbs02 was issue starting to appear after few thousand miles.

How many miles have done on the bbshd to say its much more reliable than a DD? I did 20k miles on my dd without maintenance other than changing tyres and tightening spokes.

And bonus with regen I haven't changed my brake pad yet!!
No comparison on reliability, again, a BBSHD will do things no DD is capable of. Apples and oranges...

Back