SAE J1772: Charger Connection Standard

StevenR

100 W
This reference to GM supporting a EV charging plug popped up seemingly out of nowhere...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/19/automakers-agree-on-common-plug-to-recharge-electric-vehicles/.
I assume the GM is just supporting what is ongoing development of the SAE J1772 standard. A standard is good. A good standard is better.

Thoughts? Comments? Hardware Suppliers?

I need a compatible connector to provide power to an onboard smart charge system for 50 ampere hours at 60 volts of Toshiba Super Charge batteries. The standard Level 2 conductive AC charging (SAE J1772) is limited to a maximum of 11.5kW (48 amperes (A) at 240 VAC) but that recharges from stone dead to full charge in about 15 minutes. There is a proposal for a higher output which should be considered to cut the charge time to less than 10 minutes. Just enough time for a walk around and a quick smoke before getting in the saddle for another hundred miles. So I need that connector and the batteries and the charger/control system - I have the bike, motor, controller and instrumentation/control system.

Oh yeah. SAE J1772 charging stations scattered around at the rate of twenty to the square mile or attached to every third power pole would be nice too...

Back