Schaeffler Bio-Hybrid vehicle

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Prototype:
219039-world-premier-schaeffler-shows-future-oriented-bio-hybrid.1.jpg

16pg PDF file from Schaeffler:
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemed...omobility_bio_hybrid_fact_sheet_xxl_de_en.pdf

More info here (from the "Auto" Channel last April):
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/...aeffler-shows-future-oriented-bio-hybrid.html

In part:
A micro-mobility concept from Schaeffler: The bio hybrid in detail
The Schaeffler bio hybrid combines the advantages of stability and weather protection with the energy consumption and space utilization of a pedelec. Thanks to the electrically assisted drive system (up to 15.5 MPH) with a minimum range of 30 miles**, the driver can travel in a sporty and comfortable manner. The new vehicle platform with two front and rear wheels provides increased safety and driving stability. The bio hybrid can also be easily driven on cycle tracks due its compact dimensions: 6 ft. 11 in. long, 4 ft. 11 in. high, 33.5 in. wide and a track width of 33.5 in. The electric reverse gear also enables maneuvering without any problems. In combination with its portable battery system, variable luggage compartment and automatic gearshift system, this 1+1 seater (2 seats) can be integrated into the existing infrastructure and day-to-day life. The extravagant design underlines the lifestyle character and matches the innovative roof construction, which can be easily stowed under the seat by means of an intelligent swing mechanism. With the weather protection retracted, the bio hybrid is transformed into a stylish cabriolet and allows the driver to enjoy the fresh air. With its integrated smart phone connection, the driver has access to a large number of apps as well as information – for example, about the weather and traffic – at any time.

"Important prerequisites with regard to infrastructure must be fulfilled before this type of individual mobility can become established on the market," said Gutzmer. "Metropolitan areas and major cities must continue to change – and they will. Cities such as London, Paris and Singapore are already investing hundreds of millions in the development of cycle tracks. High-speed cycle tracks will enable extension stages of the micro-mobile with higher speeds. There are already discussions in Germany about opening cycle tracks with a legal speed limit of 25 MPH. All these developments mean that our concept has great potential to change urban mobility."

* 250-750 watts nominal power (according to national legal requirements)
** Range according to current simulations: 30-60 miles

If only it were a legal vehicle in more places (with four wheels, they'll need to get laws changed on the definition of a bicycle in order to use that on public paths/roads/etc. in at least much of the USA, and possibly elsewhere in the world. Almost everywhere I can think of, bicycle-class vehicles are required to have three wheels or less (in contact with the ground in some laws), as part of their definition, so to be usable on public roads/sidewalks/etc. in those places this thing either has to lose a wheel, or it's makers have to get the laws changed.).

That last part might be possible, but it is also likely that lawmakers would change other things about the law while they're at it, just because they can, that would make other vehicles that are presently bicycle-class no longer so.

At present, for example, here in AZ (and many other states) that thing is not a legally-defined vehicle of any type, so it wouldn't technically be allowed on any public ways. Whether or not that gets enforced would be a whole other thing, but if they chose to enforce it anyone riding one would be screwed.

(this is why my SB Cruiser is a trike, not a quad, because I could do a lot more with it if it was a quad, with more cargo room up front, or a dog carrier front and back, and not need a trailer for most things, but if law enforcement decided to pick on me they would be able to based on it having too many wheels....at present it's just a bicycle, under all the AZ rules for such things).

Personally I think the laws about how many wheels something can have are just dumb, but it's not uncommon to define things that are not motor vehicles (cars, trucks, etc) as having "no more than three wheels in contact with the ground", so having more than that makes them something other than a defined type of vehicle, which means law enforcement might try to insist they are then one of the other defined types but not qualifying as legal because they dont' have all of the other requirements.

(this is what they do when you exceed 20MPH on an assisted bike here in AZ, for instance--since <20MPH is part of the definition of an assisted bicycle here, then they say that you must instead be an unregistered, uninsured, unlicensed motorcycle, and since it doens't have all the DOT required stuff then it's illegal for that reason, too).

Stupid bureacracy..... :(

here in germany, this wold be a bicycle as long as is just has electric assistance to 25kph (i think). Just like a bycicle with a trawler, with 4 wheels in total.

I like that tilt design. should almost drive like a bycicle. But i guess it must be like 3 times as heavy. in the 50kg+ league

Back