Schwalbe Super Moto-X Tires

Wolfeman

1 kW
Picked up my new tires at the post office today, super stoked. 26" x 2.4" Schwalbe Super Motor-Xs. Just spooned them onto the vintage GT Palomar daily commuter and LOVE how they look. Compared to the 26" x 2" Schwalbe Marathon Plus street tires that I'd put on it, it almost looks like a fat tire bike. Call it semi-chub..... 8)

IMG_3823.JPG

62061240769__E75CFF0B-2A70-4A53-8E23-1CAF186DD815.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3827.jpg

I am digging these tires, but will wait till the sun goes down to try them out. Trying different tire pressures should be interesting. They have even more air volume than the Fat Frank's on my daughter's Dyno street klunker which rides super soft. Finally here's the rear 3/4 view.

IMG_3826.jpg

I hope they ride as good as they look.

They are good on dry road, surprisingly alright on dry dirt roads/trails, but exercise in futility on mud, wet grass and wet metal(wet man hole covers are like ice).

Nice pictures! I have one in 20" form on the front of my recumbent. Recently moved it from an Alex DM24 wheel (24mm inside width) to a 29mm inside width wheel, which to me helps with such a wide tire.

transposon said:
Any update on the ride quality on these?

I have the 2.0" marathon pluses, and am considering the 2.4" moto-x instead.

If your rims are wide enough to support 2.4", then it's a no-brainer. Wider tires ride better, thinner tires ride better, more flexible tires ride better. All three points are in favor of the Super Moto-X.

If your rims are narrow (like 20mm inside/26mm outside or less), then you might have to use inappropriately high pressure in the fatter tire to keep it stable. So in that case there may be no ride quality benefit.

Understand that the bigger and more voluminous the tire, the lower the optimum pressure. Once you get much above 2", it rarely makes sense to use anything close to the maximum rating of the tire. An overinflated fat tire can easily ride more harshly than a narrower tire.

transposon said:
Any update on the ride quality on these?

I have the 2.0" marathon pluses, and am considering the 2.4" moto-x instead.

Also if you rim is too narrow, just get big ben plus, almost same thread but in 2.15"

I've only put about 150 miles on them so far, but I am VERY happy with them. For my purposes 45 PSI (3.1 BAR) gives a grippy, fast and pretty quiet ride. Run at a little lower pressure, it becomes a supple roller that soaks up the little stuff. I've run Maxxis Holy Rollers, Schwalbe Marathons, Schwalbe 462 knobbies and lots more tires. For my current purposes of 75% asphalt commuting and 25% mixed terrain fun, the Super Motos are awesome. What's more, I think they look really good too. On my GT it gives it more of that oversized BMX look.

62061240769__E75CFF0B-2A70-4A53-8E23-1CAF186DD815.JPG

They were expensive and I was only able to find them at Bike 24 in Germany, but I am not disappointed at all and will probably be buying more of them.

Back