scorpion fx

Nice build!

Do you have any future plans for it? What would this build turn into if you had unlimited resources?

goatman said:
I bumped my battery to 17s and wanted to see how the motor handled the voltage. no problems with the motor at that voltage. I couldn't do a topspeed run, it was windy and my windshield was bowing inward at 50km/h so I backed off.

It needs more mounting points, although the thicker fiberglass poles probably helped things. Only two mounting screws is asking for failure.

I think with 2 of these batteries ill have about 100km no pedal range.

At what speed?

i was thinking of doing a spider look with fiberglass but will be too much weight.
flat windscreen will cost about 8km/h top speed on the flats and kills range
in the summer i was getting about 55km range giving it with an average speed of about 45km/h, if im commuting its in traffic half the time so 60km/h but my batteries are tired and probably only have 12ah left between the two of them, if i was packing 8p of 30Q id get 100km range
i typically charge twice a day, i dont want a big heavy battery and the 30Q and 40T seems to be the better cells that ive tested for charging twice a day and also for solar discharging/charging for a boat. other batteries want or need atleast a 20 minute break inbetween discharge/charge

when i look at this trike, its ok for 32km/h for years of use but it will get rat bagged the way im using it like a work truck, its a blast in the summer with all the gear off it, its fast and light and sometimes when i get off it at home im laughing because its too fun and i kinda feel like a Transformer.
the adam333 kmx trike is what im leaning toward if i can find one and build a spider on it, the front suspension you need if your hauling ass with weight and 2000 watts isnt enough for snow so this trike will stay pretty much "like a bike"

I really like the rain gear. I would like to have something light for winter and some rain that can be removed with out to much fuss.
Later might get into more of a velo for speed with suspension and better wheels. At the moment I think a tail section with storage would do better for the lower speeds I do with my current trike.

goatman said:
i was thinking of doing a spider look with fiberglass but will be too much weight.

Try corrugated plastic with zip ties/pop rivets/glue/tape or thermoformed ABS plastic that can be chemically welded. Cheap, light, strong, an you can make a body suitable for what you want with a few hundred hours of work.

I built my first body shell in the kitchen of an apartment.

flat windscreen will cost about 8km/h top speed on the flats and kills range

You can use a heat gun or oven and a carved shape to make a curved one out of polycarbonate or acrylic. I will get around to doing so when I get a few other things finished on mine.

the nose is corrugated plastic and aluminum, it might weigh 3lbs? and alot of the time when its cold out ill just use the nose to keep the legs warm especially when going into fog and then theres no drag from the windshield

one area i always go through i come off an overpass and down a switchback ramp with 5 hairpin turns and if i didnt have that tapered nose i wouldnt make the turn. thats why i was thinking spider so the nose at the pedals is still skinny for tight turns. ill show a picture tomorrow. i was rewiring my motor tonight.
id also like to move the batteries under my seat

theres a c-clip on the axle that holds the motor cable and it fried a hall wire with intermittent faulting

Sometimes just knocking off the direct wind is all you need. I like to peddle and that keeps me warm enough not like it gets cold down here. At the moment we are between 60 - 82 deg.f so nothing is needed. I would really like a Velo but it is so hot here most of the time would not be doable for me. Now for lower speed and something I could take off that would be great for my main ride. Just need more than one trike.

ya knock down the wind and have a little windshield with a bimini top.

the switchbacks

q18CqiP.jpg

had the motor open at about 6000kms

D3WHed6.jpg

halls

xv8xAZu.jpg

used grins motor cable to replace the old one, if you strip the thick rubber shield and heat shrink the the phase and signal wires together it fits through the axle snugly and i moved all the connections to the same side of the motor

MeCEFLQ.jpg

thought i had an issue with the motor cable which is why i replaced the cable in above post
but it was an issue with the phaserunner

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109781

i knocked the phaserunner down to 2000 watts to baby the PR for awhile

qXRhxx3.jpg

turning it up to 3000 watts/60 amps

owN1CQW.jpg

KijgJIt.jpg

the CA3 wasnt set up proper and the amps/ah were off, changed the shunt setting in the CA3 to 1.000 mOhm and
soldered w to r in the ca3 to change the night time screen to red

tried it out, running good

IMG_20210313_131420.jpg

IMG_20210313_131423.jpg

IMG_20210313_131435.jpg

IMG_20210313_131446.jpg

IMG_20210313_131455.jpg

IMG_20210313_131654.jpg

rewired the power from the PR to the batteries
used old 14 gauge extension chords and xt60"s before

IMG_20210429_192057.jpg

i ran 10 gauge from the PR to a xt90 anti spark in the battery box

IMG_20210429_192127.jpg

to split for 2 batteries i ran 2- 12 gauge wires spliced together
wrapped with a strand of wire and soldered to the xt90

IMG_20210429_171637.jpg

IMG_20210429_172139.jpg

IMG_20210429_181602.jpg

put about 5000km on this tire without a single flat, threads were showing, time to change it.

IMG_20210717_175358.jpg

run a maxx daddy inside it

IMG_20210717_175246.jpg

with a motor bike tube

IMG_20210717_175034.jpg

the maxx daddy was really gummy with lots of melted rubber that was balled up and stuck to the atlas tire
was expecting to find chunks of wire or staples sticking through but nothing penetrated the Atlas Fiction

IMG_20210717_175334.jpg

put a new Atlas Fiction on and the old tube

IMG_20210717_181028.jpg

IMG_20210717_184526.jpg

sprayed the outside of the motor and cassette with wd-40 to clean it after changing tire
next day 2 bearings seized about 15km into a ride

luckily i read here that the cassette cant be replaced, you need a new side cover
bought a xf40 with a broken axle about 6months ago
swapped side covers
bearings will be about a 3 week wait

IMG_20210718_181124.jpg

think i might order a 9c from grin, its 1rpm/volt slower but atleast the parts should be in stock at Grin

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors/rh212-fst.html

i should ask grin if the 9c sidecover fits the mxus xf40, they look identical in the picture but????

whats funnier is that they actually sell the mxus side cover :D

https://ebikes.ca/mxus-side-cover.html

thundercamel said:
Interesting that the bearings seized. Also look at the angle of those spokes!

Grin built it in Nov.2019 with dual gauge Sapim spokes and they bend the actual spoke so the nipples go through the rim square
8500km's at high speeds, never had to tension the spokes til about a month ago :bigthumb:

smacked a pole last night doing about 20km/h. stopped me dead and turned me sideways :lol:

it was absolutely pissing down rain and dark out
my head light shorted out so was taking backroads
took a walking/bike bridge over a ravine and smacked a pole in the middle of the bridge
tried to swerve but front left tire caught the pole

IMG_20211114_070037.jpg

IMG_20211114_070304.jpg

front left arm is shoved backed 2 inches

IMG_20211114_095401.jpg

dont think i can heat and bend it back, too many angles

did a quick search to see if i could just buy that part but didnt see any

i want front suspension, battery box and a velo style front end

thinking of chopping the front arms off and building a front clip that slides into the telescoping boom

i guess i should start with finding the suspension struts from a velo and build from there

the scorpion has a 31.1" track and 40.15" wheel base

gotta see what pedal by wire is also

Sorry to hear about that, what's your damage. Hope you are ok!

Looks like Aluminum, would not heat it and trust it later. Could cut it off and have it welded back one would need a jig. Check out your main frame make sure it's not tweaked to one side.

Was thinking like you are. Good time to go to front suspension. Chop off front arms build to a collar that can slide on and have it welded to frame or bolt.

My eTrike front arms are one piece that bolt to the trike so I could just replace the front.

zoom0099.png

im fine, little confused when i got out and looked. the nose was turned 22 degrees clockwise and the canopy looked like it broke but when i hit the pole the boom slid out about 2 inches and turned. grabbed the the cranks and twisted it back vertical, reconnected the fiberglass canopy pole and drove it home 5km with the warped disc :D

i wonder if i can just buy your bolt-on arms and adapt

northern lights 428 looks pretty cool

https://www.northernlightmotors.com/

really cheap but way too big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tItPSzy70o

thinking of swing arm attached to a straight front axle

they have a front suspension for bikes that you can go no hands straight over an 8 inch curb

Sorry about the wreck. At least you weren't hurt. Hopefully the frame is salvageable.

Depending upon what kind of performance you want, velomobile struts may not be sturdy enough for the application. If you're going to go with a velo style front end, you may as well do an entire body shell anyhow. The gains to range and performance will be more than noticeable.

The Northern Lights 428 is way too heavy, IMO. It looks cool though, and the front wheels are far enough away from the shell that their impact on drag may not be as large as is typical for outboard-wheeled ground vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing how you fix this.

Like the looks of the northern lights. Don't have any pedal's, power only. The other issue with them is the front wheels are to far forward. This would cause them to turn over easer if not enough weight is on them.

Have never seen Performer (They are located in Taiwan) sell any frame's or frame parts. Have never asked them. They do sell other bits. They have contact form on there page you could ask them.

Performer Cycles

Purchased my trike from lightfootcycles Could ask if they had anything or parting out a tirke.

by goatman » Nov 14 2021 3:23pm

im fine, little confused when i got out and looked. the nose was turned 22 degrees clockwise and the canopy looked like it broke but when i hit the pole the boom slid out about 2 inches and turned. grabbed the the cranks and twisted it back vertical, reconnected the fiberglass canopy pole and drove it home 5km with the warped disc :D

i wonder if i can just buy your bolt-on arms and adapt

northern lights 428 looks pretty cool

https://www.northernlightmotors.com/

really cheap but way too big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tItPSzy70o

thinking of swing arm attached to a straight front axle

they have a front suspension for bikes that you can go no hands straight over an 8 inch curb
30Q test viewtopic.php?f=14&t=108547

ZeroEm said:
Like the looks of the northern lights. Don't have any pedal's, power only. The other issue with them is the front wheels are to far forward. This would cause them to turn over easer if not enough weight is on them.

Maybe. The front track is so wide you might need to corner with more than 1g lateral to tip it, which the tires probably aren't capable of gripping with. As long as the center of gravity never shifts outside of the triangle drawn between the contact patches, it won't tip.

Back