self learning on controller vs 3 position speed switch.

jimmyhackers

10 kW
hello, got myself one of these controllers a while ago.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48V-72V-1500W-Electric-Bicycle-Brushless-Motor-Controller-for-E-bike/312825453713?hash=item48d5d99c91:g:28EAAOSwJYVdur~4

when i connected/did the self learning wires/test.....i hadnt attached the 3 pos speed switch so it was in the default middle setting.

i have subsequently wired up the 3 pos speed switch and use it frequently whilst riding...when switching between the modes while accelerating, there appears to be a little judder/clicky feel.

just wondering if anyone knows if the learning mode has to be done in each of the 3 speeds, and if so what i am losing out on for not doing so.
and also if that clicky feel of switching between speed modes is normal/to be expected.

TIA
jim

I never tried while accelerating, but I did notice that there is no "no-load" RPM difference between "middle" and "high" speed settings.

thats funny, i can notice quite an rpm difference between low, middle and high under no load and loaded.
with top speeds reaching 30, 40 and 60mph respectively while under load.

no offense but are you sure you've got your 3 position speed switch wired up properly? for me its either brown or blue to black for either high or low. or no connection for middle.

im really not sure what, why or how it limits or boosts with the high and low settings. does it restrict amps or volts or both? which setting is the most effecient? etc....

but back to my problem, i can imagine there is a slight disconnect time in the 3 position switch when switching... but i thought this would of been countered against in the controller programing to not have a jutter. so may just be poor controller progam/firmware.

the only other thing i can think of, is i've tuned it in middle/normal so this is tuned properly. however i havnt tune in the other two modes. so when switching between them during use its also switching between tuned motor and not tuned.

It should be the same for all 3 speed modes, you don't have to connect the self learning for each .
Maybe this is the way the controller reacts when you try to switch the modes under power.
I use the 3 speed switch with cycle analyst and when I use the throttle it cuts power for a moment

It's not a good idea to switch speed modes when the throttle isn't at 0. If you ever did that with one of my bikes where I felt the need to use multiple speed settings, you'd end up on your back on the road. Except on high end controllers with different programmable current AND speed limit settings, the 3 speed switch does nothing more than change the throttle voltage the controller sees. It's nothing like a gearing change. eg if low is at 50% and high set to 100%, then turning the throttle to 50% will have exactly the same result as using full throttle in low.

Plus those cheapie little switches are quite failure prone, so if you use it frequently you'll soon be without.

ah ok...

i wasnt sure exatly what the switch limited....it felt like it was limiting torque/amp draw.

it felt more punchy the higher the setting. i also noticed more voltage sag in the battery the higher the setting went, making me also think it was an amp draw limit.

I DID FIND THE LARGEST CULPIT THOUGH!! axel bolts had been losening themselves :S this fixed nearly all of the clunk under switching. locktite has been applied :)

i think there will always be a bit of a clunk/pause when switching under load, but this is probably just a cheap controller problem.

thanks for the help

jimmyhackers said:
thats funny, i can notice quite an rpm difference between low, middle and high under no load and loaded.
with top speeds reaching 30, 40 and 60mph respectively while under load.

no offense but are you sure you've got your 3 position speed switch wired up properly? for me its either brown or blue to black for either high or low. or no connection for middle.

im really not sure what, why or how it limits or boosts with the high and low settings. does it restrict amps or volts or both? which setting is the most effecient? etc....

but back to my problem, i can imagine there is a slight disconnect time in the 3 position switch when switching... but i thought this would of been countered against in the controller programing to not have a jutter. so may just be poor controller progam/firmware.

the only other thing i can think of, is i've tuned it in middle/normal so this is tuned properly. however i havnt tune in the other two modes. so when switching between them during use its also switching between tuned motor and not tuned.

do you knw what pins they are connected to? in order from top to bottom its k2 k1 gnd, and those are th epins i used, but i have a sneakign suspicion i need to use a diffrent ground, cuz i dotn notice any sort of speed, k2 and ground shold be high speed, k1 and gorund should be low speed and nothign is medium, but i dont ntoice any sort of difference....

Back