Server hiccup, lost some images uploaded July 27 - July 31

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all. Our server disk had a hiccup over here and lost some data.
Uploaded avatars and images from July 27 - July 31 hosted on ES have gone missing due to us having to restore from a backup. ( you will see the broken image icon, or an image attachment simply won't show )

No post content other than images hosted on ES have been lost.

We are working on restoring as many of these files as possible at this time, and after some long file transfers, hopefully all of the images get restored, but i cannot guarantee that all of them will return.

Feel free to re-upload whatever images you see missing in your posts from that time period, it shouldn't interfere with the restoration process.

Sorry for the hiccup, and we have made some changes to ensure that this doesn't happen in the future.

TheBeastie said:
Bah!
This was obviously deliberately done because everyone secretly knows that I was wining in my arguments and you just had to pull me down a notch..
Fine.
:lol:

...damn, i almost got away with it.. :lol:

Anyway i babysat the server all night last night.. it seems to be behaving. I'll work on restoring what images we managed to get out of the recovery process tonight.

neptronix said:
Uploaded avatars and images from Jan 27 - Jan 31 ...
Guess it should be July and not January?

neptronix said:
I'll work on restoring what images we managed to get out of the recovery process tonight.
My images are gone. Let us know when you are done with recovery and if/when we should try to upload the images again.

thowaa said:
neptronix said:

neptronix said:
I'll work on restoring what images we managed to get out of the recovery process tonight.
My images are gone. Let us know when you are done with recovery and if/when we should try to upload the images again.

:oops:

fixed

Glad I checked here as I started to notice and wonder if something like that had occurred?

Thanks Nep

neptronix said:
thowaa said:
neptronix said:

neptronix said:

:oops:

fixed

Mine are still gone......

recumpence said:
neptronix said:

Mine are still gone......
I think he meant taht he fixed the dates in the thread title. ;) (pretty sure he's still working on the recovery part)

I'm sorry for my terse and sloppy replies guys. I just started working 2 jobs and have been rushing along life again.
I uploaded what has been recovered. It's looking like we had a 20% recovery rate of the lost images.

If i could just walk over to amazon's server farm and pull the disk physically out of the machine, i could get 75% or more.. :roll:

I don't know where to post this and this seems as good as place as any..
I noticed any youtube embedded posts for me don't show up any more on Google Chrome..
I thought it was settings somewhere but after doing a full reset it was still the same.. I now think its something youtube did or maybe some update in chrome period..
Anyway I noticed it doesn't happen in Firefox but I am quite addicted to Chrome as my main browser now..
I found a solution and that is to use Google Chrome Canary which is their bleeding edge version of browser.. So its possible something else could go wrong but so far this bleeding edge browser is quite nice.
https://www.google.com.au/chrome/browser/canary.html

Attachments

• Unnamed image (9).png
    Unnamed image (9).png
    44 KB · Views: 692
Probably an issue with youtube's embed system.
Google is switching over to forcing html5 as the primary playback method and gimping their built in adobe flash plugin.

We've had this problem aplenty at our online school. Our lessons use flash, and flash sometimes just decides not to work in safari or google chrome, even though the plugin exists. We're having to port all of our content to a HTML5 wrapper.

I can't do anything about it other than upgrade to the new version of phpbb and hope for the best. That's a project that is stalled for the moment due to my limited time now.

There is a potential fix I posted here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=82688
copied from the thread about the issue:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82660

Thanks amberwolf, i will look into that.

Back