Shimano STEPS vs Bafang BBS02 vs Bafang Ultra?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
Just came back from putting some miles on a couple of tadpole trikes equipped with Shimano STEPS: an ICE Adventure and an Azub Ti-Fly.

The Good Part:
The transparency and silence were both impressive.

To me, who could be accused of being somewhat neurotic about noise - albeit a teeny bit deaf of late - the STEPS systems seemed tb totally silent.

And the instant, effortless transitions between Off, Eco, Trail, and Boost was everything I could ask for: no need for a throttle. And, as slow as I ride, it seemed to me like it would get me up a 8% grade in 1st gear with no problem

The Bad Part:
Word from the dealer is that STEPS is not available for retrofits.

Oh well.... Sounds like MAC 10 time to me...

But, before I go geared-rear-wheel-hub crazy, I need to dispose of the mid-drive options, which leaves Bafang's BBS02 for minimal noise, or a dialed-down Bafang Ultra for torque sensing.

Can anybody with experience compare:
  • BBSO2 vs STEPS for smoothness/responsiveness in pedelec mode? i.e. STEPS' torque sensing vs Bafang's cadence sensing.
  • Ultra vs STEPS vs BBS02 noise-wise?

I'd say don't rule out a TSDZ2.... torque sense, super quiet, super smooth, plenty of power, especially running the most excellent Open Source Firmware. And you probably wouldn't like a CYC Pro Gen 2. Too loud, but then on those you can ride up 10% grades at 20 mph+. It'll be interesting to see how the new CYC Stealth performs but not much info and experience posted here yet.

Mone of the retro fit solutions can compare with the latest Shimano BB drives. Well, they are better for power and speed, but far behind in terms of riding experience.

The reason why the OEM BB drives are so protected, is that their development is made possible only because of the bicycle manufacturers who are building their expansive bikes with them. They are protecting their market and for that, they need high quality engineering and the unavailability to the public. When one of the western BB drives manufacturer will start selling to the public, he will lose the bicycle manufacturers support and will be sued for breach of contract. So far, the Chinese had not succeeded to copy and distribute any of them because their evolution is very busy with new, better models every year. It would be too risky to invest in a copy of a BB drive that will be outdated very soon, so they are waiting for some stabilized tech to emerge.

raylo32 said:
I'd say don't rule out a TSDZ2....
Thanks for that.

Actually, I had ruled out the TSDZ2 based on it's high noise level in one of TrikeTech's videos.

But, prodded by your comment, I did a llittle reading on it and came away with:
  • The noise level in TrikeTech's vid was likely the result of retrofitting bronze gears in place of the stock nylon gears.
  • Noise off-the-shelf varies, but is not bad even worst-case.
  • It is best run with a 52 volt battery dialed back to about 9 amps (468 watts).
  • The need to run it dialed back power-wise compared to a BBS02 fits well with my anticipated use.

And the more I read, the more I think my use case calls out for torque sensing and the Bafang Ultra with it's steel gears sounds like it is guaranteed tb significantly noisier - leaving TSDZ2 as a player in my little game.

Thanks again.

Back