Shipping bike from Canada to USA and back (for Holidays)

unclejemima

100 W
I'm wanting to ship my ebike's down to California for Holidays in October. I'm in Western Canada and I'm flying down for 2 weeks.

I got a few quotes for shipping...$1500 each way!!! or $3000 both ways!!! I could buy an ebike for cheaper than that!

Does anyone have any suggestions for less expensive methods? I tried UPS, Canadian Freightways and YRC Freight.

Package dimensions are 60"x36"x48" at 300lbs.

Thanks in advance,

I'm assuming you've already checked into ground shipping options?

The only way I know to make the shipping cheaper is to reduce the volume or one or more dimensions, and/or weight, below whatever the limit is that brings it to the more expensive level.

Reducing weight requires leaving bits off, unfortunately.

Reducing volume, however, might be doable by simply disassembling it (at least taking the wheels off), and packaging it up to reduce some dimensions as far as you can.

If that's not possible, the only other way I can think of (besides riding it down there ;)) is to see if anyone near you that you trust is driving down there and back in the same time frame you are, and willing to haul it for you.

Thanks. I'm probably going to cram 4 bikes into the crate...and I think that's probably as small as I can get it.

I can get a 1000kg, 3 skids from China direct to my door LCL for about $1000... I'm not sure why shipping a 300lb load to Cali cost so damn much!

All the options I was looking into were ground options.

Can anyone suggest and freight companies that I may try?

Because its a personal shipment as opposed to a commercial shipment...I think thats why my quotes are so high. Most places won't even do a personal Canada to USA shipment. Free trade my ass...I just want to get my bike down for holiday.

Thanks!

I recently bought a bike from eBay, coming from Hillsboro, Oregon to Worcester, Massachusetts. Guy used Fedex and charged me $110 for "shipping & handling". So the common carriers, UPS, Fedex and USPS, are your best bet. Bike came disassembled, but that's not much.

Also, try Amtrak Shipping. You deliver & pickup your cargo at an Amtrak station. You still have to contend with that - a pickup truck or whatever. Do a google search for rail freight and call a few of those handlers. For instance, 100 lbs, bike box, from 01609 to 77024:
RailFreightRates.png
There's also renting a one-way uHaul and advertising for a driver, kinda like hiring to deliver their car while they fly. And thinking about that, maybe find someone who's doing that, and rack your bikes on it, a piggyback. And report back where you found the lowest cost method for the rest of us, please!

I have a warehouse in Calgary.
1 skid from California to Calgary is $262.50
Liftgate is another $50 per lift
CSA transportation
But you'll need to clear customs twice. cheapest broker is Clearsmart but I haven't used them. We don't care about the brokerage cost whether it's $125 or $10, it really matters that the data entry is correct because we do complicated shipments.
You'll spend at least $650 for a round trip. If something gets screwed up it'll cost $1000.

Honestly, when I was in Asia I built a new bike from a $99 dept store bike and left the bike there on the street with batteries and just took my motor home on the plane.

Back