Show me your electric velomobile.

What I would like to find is something that is between the Quest (which is a streamlined racing machine) and the Organic Transit ELF, which is a pure utility around-town vehicle with some cargo capacity. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I'd certainly fit in the ELF, and it would have enough space for a cross-country tour with camping gear, etc, but it's just a tad too big, and I think it would suffer in aerodynamics. I with there was a wider Quest with a trunk :)

12209187636_b35da7fb20.jpg

Deanwvu said:
...a wider Quest with a trunk :)

Something like the new Quattrovelo from velomobiel.nl? ;)

quattrovelo_on-the-wheels.jpg

quattro_baggage2.jpg

The developement of the Quattrovelo documented in their blog: https://velomobiel.wordpress.com

Marc S. said:
Something like the new Quattrovelo from velomobiel.nl? ;)

where I live that would still be defined as a "car" because of it's four wheels
I could probably get an exclusion - disabled status- ...but then again I couldn't get in it lol.

I might have been tempted by the ELF but I'm glad I built what I built (pre-ELF production) It works so much better-er than an ELF esp. carrying stuff. It cost about the same in parts and fabrication- except mine includes all-wheel drive (1kW nominal and locally what's legal) and normally carries 2kW of battery. I built 2 complete sets of batteries (4 packs) so I never have to wait for recharge (solar slow lol limited by my 150/150/200W chargers fed from *new* *improved* (in my workshop) 10kW of AGM storage batteries)

BTW the owner of this forum spent a few hours in my workshop. I dunno what he thought of my velo-thingy, but he had this -big grin- his whole time here. I did most the talking because I talk too much.

@deanwvu
imo- the most important part of a velo IS the windshield/hood. Protection from elements makes all the difference. Aerodynamics be damned, not getting pelted by winter rain/hail/wind chill (or where you live, winter snow/sleet/colder wind chill) is worth any power discrepancy imposed.
You'd never guess I studied aerodynamics as a student/hobbyist and applied such knowledge to this project. Keeps the roof on, for instance...
If I was normal I might have made the body shorter or shaped, but I really like walking into the velo and mounting the trike as if it didn't have a velo body. (all vehicles should be like this imo) (even if I wasn't a broken person -grins)

Strong trike = good trike (carry more stuff)
My velo is built from what's basically a pedicab multi-seat trike that came equipped with big lead acid batteries (they're part of my solar system now <grins some more>) It can handle any loads I impose -me, a weeks worth of groceries and anything else I can fit in it's semi-inclosed ~700mm x 900mm x 1200mm 'storage' area. + it supports specialized trailers for propane tanks etcetera along with those groceries etcetera. (recently did this)

The trike is exactly 762mm (30") wide and fits through any standard 32" entry (did I already say this? probably...)

@ john in paradise <grin>
once I realized I wanted a fully-glassed body that drove my whole design. + Nobody else needs to follow my example. Just say'n and show'n wut i did ...because, contrary to a fault -and- different example showing that one can build anything they want as opposed to only getting what's 'available' barely fitting ones' needs where, as per usual...
the devil's in knowing needs

-Wish Balsa wood was cheap here :)
i shur talk lots sum tims

I love the idea of a velo, but I live in the land of 95 degrees/100% humidity. No way I can survive in a closed vehicle unless it has A/C. In a more temperate climate velos would be perfect.
otherDoc

tahustvedt said:
You can follow my Velo project here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62827
That's not a velo.
That's a work of super-high craftsmanship that represents the best in Art.

...and resembles a velo LOL

My modified Evo-R pedelec is almost ready to meet the road. Just a few more finishing touches.

WP_20150810_003.jpg

More Pictures Here: https://onedrive.live.com/prev?cid=74eb7dd2a9dd793a&id=74EB7DD2A9DD793A%2119176&ithint=album,&authkey=!ADGJtLYn3kKoa10

Wow that is gorgeous. Did you make the body?
otherDoc

Isn’t that a Go One? :)

http://www.go-one.de/?lang=en

i really want one..........but because the velos are made on demand in small numbers, price is the real problem.

docnjoj said:
Wow that is gorgeous. Did you make the body?
otherDoc

No, the Velo was built in Germany. It's all carbon construction.

jesusjesus said:
Isn’t that a Go One? :)

http://www.go-one.de/?lang=en

i really want one..........but because the velos are made on demand in small numbers, price is the real problem.

Yes, it's an Evo-R carbonversion. They're built on demand. Takes about six months to complete. They come fully built or you can buy a kit.

More pics:

WP_20150801_001.jpgMore pics:

This is my home build velomobiel 1000watt motor....battery i put the battery lower between the front wheels,picture is just a test setup.
Home made frame
332ysz6.jpg

Home made fiberglas/pvc shel
15exzk9.jpg

tahustvedt said:
davevelo said:
More pics:

More pics:

Nice. Are those air ducts in the nose (blue)?

Yes, it's a silicone hose with a high speed 3200kv 12 blade EDF mounted on the inside.

Mine is nearing completion. Here's a shot from a little test run:

LockH said:
Perhaps not watt folks think of as a "velomobile", but... "Electric Messerschmitt project":
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8393&p=127065

(ES Bible Search found 64 matches: +Messerschmitt)

So very "low tech"... updated eg with carbon shell, etc.

2c66df26aa89e3b5752cd35fe9757ab2.jpg

Cool retro vehicle but needs upgrading. Perhaps you could disassemble the panels and use them to create molds for carbon fiber fab?

Hey L0ck
Unfortunately that car still has 4 wheels, even if the 2 rear ones are close together. I remember a friend of the family had one in the 1960's. A death trap if I ever saw one, especially on the Long Island Expressway.
Anyhoo, even in CF it will not be a bicycle.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Hey L0ck
Unfortunately that car still has 4 wheels, even if the 2 rear ones are close together. I remember a friend of the family had one in the 1960's. A death trap if I ever saw one, especially on the Long Island Expressway.
Anyhoo, even in CF it will not be a bicycle.
otherDoc

It will in Norway as long as it is driven by pedals and only has 250 W nominal.

The makers of the Quest velomobile are coming out with a four wheel velomobile now, BTW.

That new Quest looks like a old Batmobile :) Bicycle can have even ten wheels and it"s still a bicycle according to our law. Three wheelers with a motor are technically motorcycles, like that old Messerschmitt. That was and is their point, you don"t need a car licence to ride one.
That DIY-one is tailor-made for Norwegian weather. A practical beauty.

Back