Solar power house info With link for cheep pricing

Great discussion on the leds! Some time ago I went all led, some 120v and some 12v (Since the price has dropped, I no longer assemble them from loose components.) Going dc right off the battery bank has eliminated the use of the inverter(s) and I've seen a significant difference between battery soc from 2007-2011.

Depending on "what color it is", "what fixture it's in" and "where it is placed" a 400-500 lumens led is more than bright enough to satisfy lighting needs. I have roughly 100 "tour goers" come through here every year and (based on what they see when the lights are on) I ask them to identify the standard and cfl bulbs from the leds. I also ask them to try and identify the 120 volt leds from the 12 volt leds. Folks leave with a different view about led lighting and all agree that the lighting (as setup) is beyond "adequate" would more than meet their needs. All of the leds dim nicely via pwm dimmer.

As leds continue to develop, off grid folks like myself will benefit (less power, smaller wire, etc.) Go LEDS!

~CrazyJerry

I had a play with led lights a few months back. The plan was to replace some or all of the 12 v 50 halogen down lights in my house. A typical 50w down light + transformer losses is close to 58w each. Not wanting to take to much of a gamble on high cost globes only to be disappointed. I just took a punt on some led's from Ebay.

I purchased a bulk lot of 8 - gu10 style 240v led drop in replacements for around $8 each. I think they were rated at 6 or 8w cant remember now. They were claiming to be as bright as a 50w halogen globe.

To cut a long story short they were about as bright as a 25w halogen and the colour rendition wasn't as nice to live with as halogen's.The good points was no heat and I could do away with the transformer losses you get with the mr16 12v globes. So there is a 50w energy saving each globe.

What I ended up doing up stairs because the leds were not bright enough and I didn't like the light colour. I stayed with halogens but converting most of the mr16 halogens to a high quality phillips 35w globe that claim to be as bright as a typical 50w and to my eye there claims are true.

The ebay Led globes I used in less critical areas . I have one in the passage way. And I replaced all the 6 globes in the Home theatre - gym room with the ebay leds and there fine for down there . I also got a few 12v- 4w led mr16 style replacements for the lights on my back deck. they work great and have a nice colour and I prefer less bright mood lighting out there so they are great.

One good thing about using the led's in my home theatre room is because its down stairs you don't get the heat warming the wooden floors upstairs like you did with the halogens. Or the potential fire danger!

Here is some pics of the globes in action (during the day but you get the idea there not bad for the $)

Kurt.

Close up gu10 led replacement globe
IMG_1099.jpg

single led above gym
IMG_1095.jpg

Single Led in passage way
IMG_1091.jpg

two leds above theatre screen
IMG_1096.jpg

two old 50w halogen globes in home theatre room for comparison
IMG_1097.jpg

close up of led in mr16 surround
IMG_1093.jpg

Ebay LEDs have costed me more then just waiting and buying quality LEDs localy. They make claims but..... So now I will change to more LEDs are they become more avalible and for a better price! The out door LEDs are the biggest in savings because the wasted heat indoors helps warm the house in the winter maybe some of the heat given off anyway because im sure the heat in the pot lights just rises to the attic even thoug its r40 right now.

Ok so back to the solar thing where is a good place to buy bulk chips to make your own pannels?

I don't remember where the thread is, but the Costa Rica boys were doing some homemade panels. Might want to check with them.

Howdy Arlo
Jay contacted me and I sent him links. I am placing them here, also. We have not built panels yet. They don't work well underwater. :shock: :roll: :roll: It has not stopped raining here for over 3 months. I'm talking all day and all night. :shock: :shock:

Look here :

Go here for cells : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=1+KW+Solar+Cells&_sacat=See-All-Categories IF you can buy tabbed cells, that is easier to solder. All you need to do is connect them. These things are THIN and FRAGILE. :shock:

Go here for build series of 3 parts. http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?topic=145005.0

This is the best info available.

I'm very interested in the actual LED fixtures You posted about. Any more details about exactly what you bought ?? I know nothing about LED lighting, but, I have made 3 modded light bulbs with LED's sticking out of them. We use them for temp lighting when the lights go out (REAL regular). I just put jumper leads to a 12V UPS battery.

Thanks Harold. Do you have a link to your guys' build thread? I remember you guys were solving some problems of condensation inside the glass or something like that.

Jay, that fieldlines link is what you need to read. It's a 3 step tutorial with much Q&A info.

Harold in CR said:
Howdy Arlo
Jay contacted me and I sent him links. I am placing them here, also. We have not built panels yet. They don't work well underwater. :shock: :roll: :roll: It has not stopped raining here for over 3 months. I'm talking all day and all night. :shock: :shock:

Look here :

Go here for cells : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=1+KW+Solar+Cells&_sacat=See-All-Categories IF you can buy tabbed cells, that is easier to solder. All you need to do is connect them. These things are THIN and FRAGILE. :shock:

Go here for build series of 3 parts. http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?topic=145005.0

This is the best info available.

I'm very interested in the actual LED fixtures You posted about. Any more details about exactly what you bought ?? I know nothing about LED lighting, but, I have made 3 modded light bulbs with LED's sticking out of them. We use them for temp lighting when the lights go out (REAL regular). I just put jumper leads to a 12V UPS battery.
Awesome thanks. These look like them.... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/White-60-LEDs-5050-SMD-Light-Under-Cabinet-Counter-12V-/230707925753?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b74392f9

These are the ones I used under my cabinets. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ULTRA-Bright-White-Under-Cabinet-Led-15-Lights-12V-/180511006462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a074b5efe They are very good and I think they are water proof. When I got mine there was 10 x 3 LED strips in a pack for 27 shipping incl!

Arlo1 said:
These are the ones I used under my cabinets. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ULTRA-Bright-White-Under-Cabinet-Led-15-Lights-12V-/180511006462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a074b5efe They are very good and I think they are water proof. When I got mine there was 10 x 3 LED strips in a pack for 27 shipping incl!
From this link.
I used 8 under the cabinets in our kitchen so thats .72w a modual x 8 = 5.76w and to leave them on its 50457 wh a year or 50.457 kwh calculating off of their rating. Which I find most LEDs are over rated on ebay, but these ones dont seem to bad bacause they are bright! I think when I mesured them I used 8 cents as average power cost ours here is $6.67 on step1 and $9.62 on step 2. I also mesured the power going into the inverter and just multiplied it by 110v so im not sure if its right. But the total is still someware around $4 a year. Even if Im out by double its only $8! And they produce the best light!!!
For eg if the battery was new in my bmx it would power these non stop for ~ 56.8 hours
Ultra - Super Bright Clear White

5 x Led Lighting Modules

There are 3 high quality led in the module ,

Led Type Smd 5050 Three chips Very Strong,

Elegant,Docorative,Strong for
Undercabinet or cabinet lighting,

Many using area;
Home,kitchen,hidden lighting,bars,tv back,under beds,in pools,cars,buses........

These photos show 10 modules

Waterproof design

12 volt low voltage,(60ma , 0.72W per module)

Low energy consumption,long life time 80.000 hours

Easy to install yourself

Strong double side adhesive on the back of each
and you can mount with screw !

Two Modul Size Found, Chips Same

Model A: (3 3/4" long x 2/5" wide x 1/5" thick),
2 1/2" wire spacing between each module

Model B: (2 1/4" long x 2/5" wide x 1/5" thick),
3 1/5" wire spacing between each

Each module can be cut

LED color is Clear White (not Yellowish,not Bluish)

I wonder how hot the cells get. I'm wondering if you could put copper piping directly under the metal backing of the PV solar panel and heat the water in the tubes while also generating electricity. I'm thinking that if you have a smaller, energy efficient house, then the roof space might be limited to have both a PV panel and a solar hot water panel.

You can fit both on a very small roof but it depends on how big you want to go. I have 8 x 190w panels 1500w and a large dual panel solar hot water collector on a very small 3 bed house two story (smaller roof area)
even then it only takes up perhaps 70% of the 50m2 roof area on the north side.

The tubing could help cool the panels a little and that's always a good thing. I have gone out with a hose some times on a hot summer day and hosed down my panels and the wattage shoots up for a while.

Kurt

Kurt, I'm thinking of doing it on a 200 square foot cottage.

Jay64 said:
I wonder how hot the cells get. I'm wondering if you could put copper piping directly under the metal backing of the PV solar panel and heat the water in the tubes while also generating electricity. I'm thinking that if you have a smaller, energy efficient house, then the roof space might be limited to have both a PV panel and a solar hot water panel.
IM actualy thinking about flowing air though them and cooling them then when its cool out the hot air will flow into the house to help heat the house! Kinda like the pop can thing have you guys seen them?
Im thinking either put the pannels on top of the beer cans or just flow the air over the solar pannels them selfs. Cooling the solar cells them selfs will help a lot they have 16.5% effieciency so that meens the rest goes to heat or reflection. SO there should be some good heat.
[youtube]PqObr-M39Ug[/youtube]

Jay64 said:
Kurt, I'm thinking of doing it on a 200 square foot cottage.

Ok now I know what size your dealing with its a little different . Though still think it would fit. Your cottage is 200 square foot so I will work metric its roughly 18m2 a 1500w array of pv's consumes 11.7m2 and a large dual collector hot water system consumes 4m2 for a total of 15.7m2.

So you have enough roof area for the same system as I run and it would be over kill for a cottage. The hot water collectors heat 300lt of water easy.

Pic of my system, as you can see its spread out all over the place
IMG_1115.jpg

PS, loving the solar air heater thanks for posting that video :D

Kurt

These are the screw in type 7.5w LG led bulbs I use. They seem good quality with a heat sync they get warm but not to bad, they are 110v ac btw http://www.lg.com/us/led-lighting/led-bulbs/LG-bulb-LB08D830L0A.E50JWU0.jsp

These are the 12.5w 110v ac Philips LED screw in type also with a heat synk. I pay $15 for 1 this is the one I use for the porch out side. I dont feel bad about leaving it on for the girfriend at night! http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ambient-Dimmable-Replacement-Light/dp/B005HO1SLO

Will these LED's take fluctuating voltage input without blowing ??

I plug the VOM into an outlet and watch the voltage range from 105 to 128. I have confronted ICE the local monopoly Power and Communications Company and their engineers say that is perfectly OK voltage. Lights out is fairly common, averaging up to 20 momentary blinks per week, sometimes.

Light bulbs don't last for very long. I'm about to start wiring the house for low voltage lighting and power stations.

When I lived in Arkansas, I sold wind turbines, Solar Panels and Towers, along with TV Antennas and rotators and boosters. Had a guy convert a booster to 12V. He said there was a device to take 120V AC and change it to 12V DC. He bypassed that device. I ran that booster for several years with no problems.

I would like to convert the Modem and Satellite receiver to low voltage, if possible ?? Anyone here know how to do that ??

I recently found some LiFePo4 batteries for 34 cents per wh. I need to see about shipping. I want to start with a 12V system, and, lead just doesn't get it, anymore. 2--220Ahr 6V Golf Car batteries would run me over $400.00 if I bought them down here, and then, have to have them transported over the mountains to me.

I should have my 10-1 gearbox here any day, so I can start building my Wind Turbine. Tower will be the expensive part. Probably use 1½" Angle for the lower section and 1" EMT Conduit for the upper section, crank up style.

Harold in CR said:
Will these LED's take fluctuating voltage input without blowing ??

I plug the VOM into an outlet and watch the voltage range from 105 to 128. I have confronted ICE the local monopoly Power and Communications Company and their engineers say that is perfectly OK voltage. Lights out is fairly common, averaging up to 20 momentary blinks per week, sometimes.

Light bulbs don't last for very long. I'm about to start wiring the house for low voltage lighting and power stations.

When I lived in Arkansas, I sold wind turbines, Solar Panels and Towers, along with TV Antennas and rotators and boosters. Had a guy convert a booster to 12V. He said there was a device to take 120V AC and change it to 12V DC. He bypassed that device. I ran that booster for several years with no problems.

I would like to convert the Modem and Satellite receiver to low voltage, if possible ?? Anyone here know how to do that ??

I recently found some LiFePo4 batteries for 34 cents per wh. I need to see about shipping. I want to start with a 12V system, and, lead just doesn't get it, anymore. 2--220Ahr 6V Golf Car batteries would run me over $400.00 if I bought them down here, and then, have to have them transported over the mountains to me.

I should have my 10-1 gearbox here any day, so I can start building my Wind Turbine. Tower will be the expensive part. Probably use 1½" Angle for the lower section and 1" EMT Conduit for the upper section, crank up style.
Depends which LEDs you are talking about. The screw in AC bulbs I have ARE dimmable! The smartest thing you can do is Keep everything DC then just use 12v to power the LEDs. If you want to run your electronics on DC power I think it will make things more efficient because all your electronics have some sort of AC-DC converter and I bet they bring it down to ~12v inside anyway! And the main chip on the curcuit board will likely be running on 5v!

Thanks once again, Arlo.
If folks would try to get away from AC voltage, a LOT of things can be run off a car battery, for temporary times. The house we built, in Arkansas, was wired for 32Volts. I had an old lighting plant with original Edison Batteries. Also had 3 banks of 32V railroad Caboose Batteries. Built a 4KW wind Turbine and had 1 Solar Panel. That is still in Florida. We were off grid for over 4 years. Had all the appliances, using a 3000W Inverter, or battery voltage.

Built a furnace and heated ALL our hot water, just burning packaging and cereal boxes, and yard debris, etc.

Built and sold Musical Instruments using a peckerwood engine or the inverter for power. Had a wood lathe, table saw, planer, sanders of all designs. Still have the Miller Roughneck Stick welder/generator, that we used for battery charging, when the wind was calm. Used DC motors as I came across them, usually Surplus Center.

We were on Springfield, Missouri TV News, and, I'm written up in the Arkansas Energy Dept books to help folks convert. You can see, I USED to be pretty up on this stuff. The old brain is getting foggy. :roll: :roll:

SO from this link Solar what does
The researchers hit the 114 percent external quantum efficiency
mean?

That link let me to this link, which I think would be really useful in places like Florida and Hawaii. But does anyone know how you can use waste heat to drive an absorption chiller?

"By using the sun's energy to generate electricity and then diverting waste heat to drive an absorption chiller"

Dude... If I can use the wasted heat in the house in the winter and then in the summer blow cool air into the house and have photo cells making electricity.... :idea:

Back