solar powerd off road trike build log

Are you coming all the way to Perth? Can put you up for the nights your here if you are and need a place to crash...

Loving your work mate keep it up!

KiM

thanks for google earth link, it works, almost at darwin.............crikey.........you better slow down a bit!

you still alive sam? haven't been taken by a croc or anything?

yep, back in kathrine, heading west tomorrow. if anyone is in darwin they need to go to th eshoal bay waste manegment fecility, the best tip in australia

yep, back in kathrine, heading west tomorrow. if anyone is in darwin they need to go to th eshoal bay waste manegment fecility, the best tip in australia

made it to broome, new chain on the back and one of the front sets o bearings compleatly disintegrated, I tepacked them a few times but the cones wernt. but somhow rode 170km or so in one day with pretty mutch no barings on one side and got a new axyle/ comes/ bairings. stupid of me for only having spares for the back but a lerning expierence.

Hi Sam,

Just discovered your ride the other day and read basically all the Facebook posts, more eventful than our updates :)

Also sent u a Facebook message offering some spare parts as sponsorship like some good tyres for a start. We've done over 3000km with zero flat tyres on three bikes. Did the 4500km cape York trip with no flats as well.

Sorry I also didn't notice your post on the cape York thread until now as well. You could have made it on that trike but would have had to avoid the Bloomfield track and the old telegraph track which were the best parts of the trip! The river crossings were not so deep, up to the hubs at times. However I did need to be able to life my bike when it got stuck in the river crossings or got bogged in sand.

avoiding these roads means you avoid water crossings and really rough stuff but then there's still 100s of km of corrugated roads with plenty of vibrations for your welds :) the earlier you go (eg May or June) the less corrugations but the more water in the road. I went in August so very little water on the main roads but very corrugated. Maybe try it next time on your 5th trike, preferably the two wheeled kind of trike :)

Keep it up!

Maurice

I must say that I have had runs of several thousand km with no punctures, but thats ueselly followd by several in a a hundred km or so. ye, sorry the facebook posts are a bit more evevtffull, I really dont have the patence to do the same post in hesps of places, especellly on limited internet. it wass the derad od what long distences of coregations would do to the wheels suspenchon and to a lesser degee the welds that put me off the cape, this time. but as you say, mark 5... :D

a bit of an update on the ride, i made it to broome almost a week ago now, after a couple of days, almost redy to head off I managed to break the ends of a couple of my fingures. I was flown to perth, and after a bit of a wait my fingers were stiched up. stiches come oult in about 2 weeks and it would be fretty stupid to head off into the middle of no where before then before then, so im killing time in perth for bit.

solarshift said:
I must say that I have had runs of several thousand km with no punctures, but thats ueselly followd by several in a a hundred km or so. ye, sorry the facebook posts are a bit more evevtffull, I really dont have the patence to do the same post in hesps of places, especellly on limited internet. it wass the derad od what long distences of coregations would do to the wheels suspenchon and to a lesser degee the welds that put me off the cape, this time. but as you say, mark 5... :D

a bit of an update on the ride, i made it to broome almost a week ago now, after a couple of days, almost redy to head off I managed to break the ends of a couple of my fingures. I was flown to perth, and after a bit of a wait my fingers were stiched up. stiches come oult in about 2 weeks and it would be fretty stupid to head off into the middle of no where before then before then, so im killing time in perth for bit.

Where you staying in Perth, up for a few ales and a free feed? I'm in HighWycombe

KiM

sorry to hear about the fingers, hope rest of the trip goes well. Quite an achievement to make it as far as you have.

im in south perth/ kensington, ye itd be great to catch up somtime. Id like to see what youve been building :)

Best wishes on a speedy finger recovery Sam. How's the MiniMonster doing, still like new I take it, since I haven't heard from you. Have you been using the 2 speed feature at all, or no steep enough hills to justify using low? Let me know if you want to experience the motor running even more silent, since it's so close behind your head. I got some little sine wave controllers that cut the little noise of the Mini to almost nill. I'd be happy to send one on ahead and waiting, even if just to carry as a spare. Just let me know the current limit and LVC you need, or any ebike related supplies you can think of.

What an epic journey. I guess you'll have to do an around the world trek as an encore.

Keep doing what all the rest of us wish we were doing.

John

yep ,still like new, I do somtimes use the low range, ueselly for sand where I want smuth torque, the throttle is a bit twichy in high. it is way over built for what im using it for, i probrbly wouldent even avrage 10a, but oult in the desert Im really glad that is the case, everything gets walm, even the frame, so the mini dose actually get a bit walm, not hot, but a 500w hub would cook, even at decent crusing speed, and drwing 500W, with foced ventelation. Ive already got one spear controller, so Il have to decline your offer of another one. it would just be overkill :D but thanks.
arond the world treak :D now your talking :twisted:

I think your actually going to make it all the way around........amazing........

quite possably, who would have guessed :D, but thiers still a long way to go. im about 300km or so oult o gereldton now, with a cracked back rim. its done well but funally gone to god. new ones coming up tonight. hey just wondering is there anyone that might be intrested in a group ride in perth in a bit more than a week ( not shure how mutch more) anyone want to ride with a slow, bulky, endurence trike that carnt fit on moast biketrails

pretty mutch in perth, with the bike this time. 700km ago the back wheel finally gave in ( split rim) so I had to get a new one sent up to the roadhouse I was at. in gereldton (400km ago) I finally caught up with the new wheels from glow worm, awsome wheels ( espechelly next to what I was running) thanks maurice. yetserrday afternoon the new back wheel popped a spoke, :x I fixed it, then another one went :evil: . Im not going across the nulabour untill Ive sorted this oult. im not going to respoke another back wheel one spoke at a time. sooo can anyone recomend bike shops in perth. Il need eather a new really f***ing solid rear wheel ( europeen stainless spokes a must) or just some really good quality stainless spokes, so that I can lern to respoke a wheel properly.

damn your doing well, keep it up, what length spokes do you need?

I rebuilt the wheell with dt spokes and it has been great since,( 258mm and 256mm) Ive crossed the nulabour and left adelade this morning, heading back for vic.

It was great to meet (the other Sam) in Ballarat on Friday.
The handmade solar panels and frame were a cracker as well as the tubs of LiPo up front. I actually found this really inspiring to think it could be done and so much of it scratch built.

Some time ago before families and a mortgage I had a pipe dream to doing something in this vein - bring on retirement! 8)

Nice work Sam!
20131115_171203.jpg

Back