Specialized Stumpjumper conversion recommendations

MTBR is an interesting forum, I go there occasionally but I am not interested in store bought ebikes. About the most I am interested in is maybe a Sur-Ron which MTBR has no clue about, they'd just twitch and claim its a motorbike and the moderators would delete the post because its not what MTBR advertisers sell because its more then a random wimpy 750W power limit law.

The majority of people I see while I am out riding are just casual pathway ebikers with expensive store bought ebikes.
Its very rare I come across someone who has twisted a few wires together and spun some bolts to make their own ebike.

Knowing what options you have and what type of setup to buy or build is the key.
Why buy a $5k mid drive Levo when a $3k Townie hub motor will work just as good for pathway riding, ready to ride out the door.
Or drop half that, say $1200 and slap a kit on your existing bicycle in the shed, but people get scared of seeing 30 wires on a controller not knowing you need to twist 8 or 10 wires together, tighten a couple bolts and hose clamp on a torque arm or two.

I read a post on MTBR where one person says most people buy multiple bicycles in a decade. I'd say hardly anyone does that with analog bikes, the only ones who do are hardcore riders or racers not everyday common folk.

TNC said:
A place like MTBR is more hardcore off road, but most of these ebike forums cover such a wide array of bike, trike, quad, etc. that it's hard to keep up. Not everything crosses over, and that sometimes gets confusing at to what works best for what application. It's still neat to see all the different options even when they won't apply to my specific use.

Sur-rons ARE motorbikes. "Bicycles" with +1500w ARE motorbikes. Trail access is a very real issue that isn't helped by building motorbikes that can pass as bicycles.
Around town I don't personally care, but at places set aside for MTBs I absolutely understand why there are lines in the sand being drawn.

We don't have any conflict or exclusion issues here in my area of TX at this time. Our local trails allow emtb's, and I work at the bike shop that controls access and membership keys on an annual basis for the biggest trail...city land that we have an arrangement with. We've never even had anyone ask or complain about ebikes. That biggest trail is pretty tough and rocky, so we don't get a lot of snowflakes riding out there...LOL!

I had that same bike when I first looked at diy ebikes, a 2014 FSR stumpjumper elite. I sold it and from the advice of many, including TNC, found a better suited donor candidate, a Santa Cruz VP free (and a turner burner). That fsr bb/downtube makes a middrive hang straight down. And I don't think there a good options for a thru axle hub motor, but I'm no expert. I'd sell it and stalk ebay/CL/pinkbike...

Last edited:
Back