Speed sensor on Focan controller + XF15 hub motor

philippe_44

1 µW
Hi - After having built 2 bikes one with a BBS02 and the other one with a TSDZ2, I've decided to electrify another old bike but using a hub motor (XF15) and building my own wheel. Fun project and it works well (better than I was expecting). The only wrinkle is the speedometer because I realized that this is a geared motor so hall sensors cannot be used for speed measure (no data when freewheeling).

Unfortunately the controller (focan https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004619324012.html) does not have an outside wire for speed sensor. I've searched a fair bit but could not find an answer to the question of the possibility of using an existing input/pad that is just not wired-out (I'm an embedded SW dev and it's just an input to count). Is there a standard labelling for such sensors or is it all custom and the FW does not have the option to use one of the custom pins.

IMG_8323.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up changing the controller for a one that handles speedometer from XF15 directly. A bit bigger so was more difficult to fit, but it worked better than trying to reverse-engineer a $15 device :)

Back