Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Looking for some advice on motor choices:

-Is the MXUS3000 still best bang for buck?
-I read there is an aluminum stator Crystalyte but couldn't find pricing on those, or any pros/cons vs the MXUS. Is this the new hot stepper?
-Thought about an Edge 1500w with FF/Hubsinks but I've got a pretty decent hill to reach my house plus a heavy hand so may need the thermal head room afforded by the MXUS.

Aiming for 5-6000 Watts using a PowerVelocity 18f controller thats in the mail and 21s 10ah of lipo @ 50-80 amps

-As for wheel size, will 26" rims in the rear with a 2.5 hookworm rub? or should I go 24" for extra strength/torque? (I know Sam is using a 45mm double wall which looked like a good fit) I'll be commuting through city mostly with occasional gravel trails, nothing too gnarly. Used to think 19 inch moped rims was the way to go but it's overkill for my purpose and iirc a tough fit with moped tires.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations

early progress pic:

Timbecile said:
Looking for some advice on motor choices:

-Is the MXUS3000 still best bang for buck?
-I read there is an aluminum stator Crystalyte but couldn't find pricing on those, or any pros/cons vs the MXUS. Is this the new hot stepper?
-Thought about an Edge 1500w with FF/Hubsinks but I've got a pretty decent hill to reach my house plus a heavy hand so may need the thermal head room afforded by the MXUS.

Aiming for 5-6000 Watts using a PowerVelocity 18f controller thats in the mail and 21s 10ah of lipo @ 50-80 amps

-As for wheel size, will 26" rims in the rear with a 2.5 hookworm rub? or should I go 24" for extra strength/torque? (I know Sam is using a 45mm double wall which looked like a good fit) I'll be commuting through city mostly with occasional gravel trails, nothing too gnarly. Used to think 19 inch moped rims was the way to go but it's overkill for my purpose and iirc a tough fit with moped tires.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations

early progress pic:

For what you want to do, a 5t Leaf motor with the 35mm stator running a 26MTB rim and a Maxxis Holy Roller 2.35x26 tire may be your best bet. The problem with going to a 24MTB rim on the rear is tire selection. Not alot of options. Yah you can find a variety of 24MTB tires at walmart, but the won't be wider than 1.95 inches and are made for cheap kids mountain bikes or BMX bikes. They suck in other words. There are couple road bike options such as the Crazy Bobs that will fit. There is no way a 24x3.00 tire such as http://www.eastgem.net/tire-24x3.html will fit the swing arm of a Beta. I am running a Kenda 24x 2.60 wide tire on my Beta, and doubt I could go any wider tan a 2.75. Something to think about.

Thanks Rix,

The holy roller looks like the perfect mix tread wise for street and gravel, i have the hookworms from my previous build (now crashed) but if I find they rub I def will give the rollers a try. I put on some 29x2.6 Knobby Nics on my recently finished rigid build and the extra meat is great but that tread pattern is a little rough on streets above 30. I''ll be experimenting to try and get as much rubber as possible on the beta so thanks for dissuading me from trying a 3.0.

The 5T sounds like it would be great for stop and go as well as my hill, but I assume my top speed will suffer? I tried the motor simulator at 77v/75amps and see a 39 mph top speed. I can hit that on my BPM code 10 at WOT (barely I might add) and I'd like a little more top end. I feel safer keeping up with cars rather than keeping out of their way. 45 - 50 capable and 55 mph max would be great so I'm not struggling to maintain. At these speeds I wear my motorcycle chest protector, gloves, and boots plus I plan to hard wire my lights so they come on with the key. I've found lights are a necessity at all times.. Something I learned when a car turned into my path while I was going 35 even though I was wearing a bright green shirt on a clear and sunny day..

As for the Leaf, is this better than the Edge 1500w? I thought an aluminum stator was preferable to deal with heat spikes. I understand it won't help on long hills or for sustained temps but while my incline is fairly steep its also relatively short. I suppose it might help less if I'm doing high speeds for a good portion of my 12 mile commute, then attempt the hill at the end while the motor is warm already..

Anyone know what a 1500w 4t top speed would be at 21s lipo? I'm not seeing the 4T on simulator. Also, any real world data on MXUS3000w 3T / 4T top speed? Simulator is saying 49MPH and 41MPH which I assume is a bit conservative. I have no experience with flux weakening either but I may need to try my hand on this build.

If you go with 1500W make sure you invest in ferrofluid for cooling. Aluminium stator does not matter when you use it. With stamped stator you will actually cool down much faster. Remember, you don't want to keep the heat inside the motor, you want it to go outside, thus I don't like the aluminium stator in these cases.

Leaf and edge is basically the same beast, so go for one that is cheaper. Edge MAY have better quality, like better bearings or have better winding job, but this I don't know, just speculations.

And also remember that a 35mm 4t motor is faster than a 45mm 4t.
A 35mm 4t is more like a 45mm 3t rpm wise.

I had a 4t leaf at first and top speed was around 80km/h on 18s
5t leaf is doing about 70km/h on same battery.

Do not get 4T 35mm if you will run 21s, it will be too fast and you will never run in the effective band of this winding. It will probably want to hold a steady 70km/h for maximum efficiency and we are talking about 3500W of power here, it is too much for the 35mm motor as nominal for them is only 1500w

I would suggest 5t here, and if you happen to have Adaptto controller you can use OVS setting and in this case you will have a top speed of more than 90km/h(overheated in minutes of course)

mxus 4t on 20s does around 70km/h
[youtube]XybF15eNKtI[/youtube]

What are some inexpensive options for mounting front/rear fenders on a stealth type build like this ebike ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpxwou5SUuA&t=108s

rumme said:
What are some inexpensive options for mounting front/rear fenders on a stealth type build like this ebike ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpxwou5SUuA&t=108s

Same question for me. I need fenders for FUTR Beta running 26 x 2.5 hookworms. Ive found frame mounted Mudhuggers via the ES Facebook group, or am told Topeak are popular...

Hi all, just took delivery of my Alpha frame and have some questions,

first off i'm looking at ordering custom made shock bushings for my shock as the Marzocchi brand ones are very hard to find. i get that the frame is 8mmx30mm but when i measured the mounts it seems like 30mm wide is going to be very hard to fit, will the frame metal bend to make room for 30mm or should i buy a smaller size width since i am getting them custom made anyway.

next when i tried to fit my 27.2mm FSA seatpost it was way to small. what is the correct size seatpost and seatclamp for the frame?

They the only issues i have so far, i also want to say that i get what you guys meant earlier about the bottom panel being wavy, my frame also has a few lines across it on the bottom from where the support rails were welded, it also had some small scratches which is unfortunate. but apart from the cosmetic stuff the frame seems to be very well made, plus the actual stealth keys for the on/off switch was a nice surprise. anyway here are some photos of the shock mount size difference and bottom of the frame
8fs5i
. Thanks
-Heath

\ (•◡•) / said:
my images seemed to disappear from my post?. Heres a link for the photos http://imgur.com/a/8fs5i, also how do you attach images so that they are actually displayed? thanks

It's supposed to work with the "Img" button up near the font size selector, but this feature doesn't seem to be working properly.

fechter said:
\ (•◡•) / said:
my images seemed to disappear from my post?. Heres a link for the photos http://imgur.com/a/8fs5i, also how do you attach images so that they are actually displayed? thanks

It's supposed to work with the "Img" button up near the font size selector, but this feature doesn't seem to be working properly.

Yea that's what i tried and it just disappeared, possibly because i had multiple images on that link?, or Imgur isn't supported?

Damn it, I just went to imgur to screen shot how to post images from there, 45 minutes later I realised I'd be wasting time looking at other pics and not what I logged on for :lol:

Anyway this is the bbcode field you want to copy and paste here - do it one image at a time and paste each link

imgur.jpg

With the bracketed img tags before and after the url it should work, like so:

62GG1Nw.jpg

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the seat posts are 31.6mm
I'll double check shortly and post confirmation. If you're particularly attached to your current seat post you can get shims, but but you're better off getting the correct size, especially considering yours is way too small.

Timbecile said:
Anyone know what a 1500w 4t top speed would be at 21s lipo? I'm not seeing the 4T on simulator. Also, any real world data on MXUS3000w 3T / 4T top speed? Simulator is saying 49MPH and 41MPH which I assume is a bit conservative. I have no experience with flux weakening either but I may need to try my hand on this build.

Hello,

I just want to mention something that you have to consider about.

The top speed is not the only matter you should think.
It has to do with your driving style. I will give you an example to understand what I mean.

My driving style is to accelerate from 40km/h up to 75km/h.
(I drive thru the cars every day and I want to be flexible at those speeds to be safe).

I went for a 4T MXUS 3000W motor and after 50km/h the torque is very low and the speed rises slowly.
Only when I use OVS 5-7 I can say I have positive results BUT the efficiency goes down and I overheat
the motor really quickly with FF and 2 sets of hub sinks. I could go for a 3T motor and set the OVS to 0-2
(better efficiency).

*When you drive thru the cars if you have low torque it's dangerous because it takes too much time
for you to overtake a car.

So the conclusion is:

It has to do with what you want to do. If you want to drive on urban roads and you want to maintain such high speeds as you said then you need something like MXUS 3T 3000W laced on 24 inch wheel. You will have good torque after 50km/h - 80km/h and the motor will be
able to maintain 70-75 km/h for long time.

If you don't mind about the torque after 50km/h and you drive mostly off road then you go for a slower motor.

icherouveim said:
Timbecile said:

Hello,

My driving style is to accelerate from 40km/h up to 75km/h.
(I drive thru the cars every day and I want to be flexible at those speeds to be safe).

I went for a 4T MXUS 3000W motor and after 50km/h the torque is very low and the speed rises slowly.
Only when I use OVS 5-7 I can say I have positive results BUT the efficiency goes down and I overheat
the motor really quickly with FF and 2 sets of hub sinks. I could go for a 3T motor and set the OVS to 0-2
(better efficiency).

*When you drive thru the cars if you have low torque it's dangerous because it takes too much time
for you to overtake a car.

So the conclusion is:

It has to do with what you want to do. If you want to drive on urban roads and you want to maintain such high speeds as you said then you need something like MXUS 3T 3000W laced on 24 inch wheel. You will have good torque after 50km/h - 80km/h and the motor will be
able to maintain 70-75 km/h for long time.

If you don't mind about the torque after 50km/h and you drive mostly off road then you go for a slower motor.

You should be getting way better performance than that with the Adaptto and MXUS 4T. Here is a video I made hitting 59MPH with 18s MXUS 4T V2, 18"MC wheel with an OD of 24.3 inches. I can't remember if my OVS was set at 5 or 7 on this run, but my IND and PWR were 158 and 654 respectively. Anyway with OVS turned down to 3, I would see 52MPH (84K/hr) pretty easily when the temps were at 70F or more. And on the flat, I could ride around WOT for 20 minutes or so before my motor started to over heat. I didn't use an FF or hub sinks, just venting with 12mm holes on both sides. Anyway in my video, you will see my speed increase slightly at the end because I hit a slight 1% grade down hill.

[youtube]lJqVYsRmtHs[/youtube]

I don't know I'm really confused.

I don't want to say that the bike is slow but there is something wrong. You have 18s battery pack and you go faster.

My previous old motor HS3540 was faster after 50km/h.

This morning I checked my top speed with fully charged battery 20S OVS 0 and my top speed is 62km/h only.

With OVS 7 my top speed in 102km/h.

I don't have good torque after 50km/h with this motor. (Only with OVS 6-7)

After lot of fine tuning my settings are:

Angle corr.: -0.65
Ind timing: 0398
Pwr timing: +1.06
Wire R, mOhm: 126
Motor KV: 07173
Wire R PHC: NO (I Don't know what is this)
Battery amps: 114
Phase amps: 288

Tell me please if you see something wrong.

icherouveim said:
I don't know I'm really confused.

I don't want to say that the bike is slow but there is something wrong. You have 18s battery pack and you go faster.

My previous old motor HS3540 was faster after 50km/h.

This morning I checked my top speed with fully charged battery 20S OVS 0 and my top speed is 62km/h only.

With OVS 7 my top speed in 102km/h.

I don't have good torque after 50km/h with this motor. (Only with OVS 6-7)

After lot of fine tuning my settings are:

Angle corr.: -0.65
Ind timing: 0398
Pwr timing: +1.06
Wire R, mOhm: 126
Motor KV: 07173
Wire R PHC: NO (I Don't know what is this)
Battery amps: 114
Phase amps: 288

Tell me please if you see something wrong.

Make sure your axles nuts are tight and run another auto detect. After thats done, increase your Pwr Timing to 158 or what ever it defualts to around that value, and increase your ind timing to 654 or what ever it defaults to around that value. Turn you OVS down to 2 or 3, and tell me if that solves your problem. BTW, make sure your phase wires are plugged all the way in first. Not having that will raise holy hell with your performance, ask me how I know :oops:

Rix said:
You should be getting way better performance than that with the Adaptto and MXUS 4T. Here is a video I made hitting 59MPH with 18s MXUS 4T V2, 18"MC wheel with an OD of 24.3 inches. I can't remember if my OVS was set at 5 or 7 on this run, but my IND and PWR were 158 and 654 respectively. Anyway with OVS turned down to 3, I would see 52MPH (84K/hr) pretty easily when the temps were at 70F or more. And on the flat, I could ride around WOT for 20 minutes or so before my motor started to over heat. I didn't use an FF or hub sinks, just venting with 12mm holes on both sides. Anyway in my video, you will see my speed increase slightly at the end because I hit a slight 1% grade down hill.

[youtube]lJqVYsRmtHs[/youtube]

YEAH Rix, looks you have a good tune on that ride!

Hello Rix,

With the settings you gave and OVS 4-5 I have the best acceleration I've ever had. (also after 50km/h).
So thanks a lot for the information! I have to experiment more.

it seems you have spend lot of time to learn how this controller works!

icherouveim said:
Hello Rix,

With the settings you gave and OVS 4-5 I have the best acceleration I've ever had. (also after 50km/h).

It is too bad that this controller is a bitch to set up. Because lots of users ride with poor settings and have no idea that it can do a lot better!

Allex said:
icherouveim said:
Hello Rix,

It is too bad that this controller is a bitch to set up. Because lots of users ride with poor settings and have no idea that it can do a lot better!

I am sure they ride with poor settings because auto detect sometimes is too way off especially with the angle,
auto detect is good only for the basic settings.

After the fine tuning my controller was working well like a Swiss clock and with Rix's settings I've got much
better acceleration after 40-50 km/h.

It seems when you raise Pwr timing you should raise ind timing also.

All the previous months I was playing with Pwr timing without to change ind timing at the same time that's why I didn't have the optimal results.

Hello guys,
I am possibly one of those who is driving Adaptto controller with MXUS 3000 V3 4T motor in sub-optimal way.
I would like to fix it :) I tried to fine-tune settings little bit after autodetection, but motor is still getting hot
very fast for my taste (I use FF) and also torque at higher speeds is quite poor. I would like to try settings
that Rix suggested, but I am not sure with value 158 for 'PWR timing'. It seems completely outside of range.
Do you actually mean 1.58 ? If yes, I am ready to try it ! :)

Thanks !

born49 said:
Hello guys,
I am possibly one of those who is driving Adaptto controller with MXUS 3000 V3 4T motor in sub-optimal way.
I would like to fix it :) I tried to fine-tune settings little bit after autodetection, but motor is still getting hot
very fast for my taste (I use FF) and also torque at higher speeds is quite poor. I would like to try settings
that Rix suggested, but I am not sure with value 158 for 'PWR timing'. It seems completely outside of range.
Do you actually mean 1.58 ? If yes, I am ready to try it ! :)

Thanks !
Yes, I meant +1.58 Allex suggested running up to 2.1, try both and let us know what you find.

icherouveim said:
Hello Rix,

Allex was very very patient with me when I first got my entire set up from him. I bombarded him with PMs and learned that way a little bit about the controller. I am just passing what I have learned on, because when the controllers are dialed in, they are the sweetest thing since the invention of indoor plumbing.

Back