Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Here is a short vid of my FLX Alpha running the Adapto MAX E at 8.5kw.

[youtube]8YlwmZqYowc[/youtube]

I'm envious of your road trip Lash! That's something I'd love to if I could find time.
Your Alpha looks great Rix, I really like the colour. It's making my not want to sell the boxed up one I still have here in my workshop. I know my wife will leave me if I build up one more bike to keep though. Hmmm, maybe that's a plan - build another bike, let her follow through on her threats to leave me, then I'll have plenty of time to go on an ebike tour around the country :lol:

I will start work on my new beta build this weekend. Pics to follow, naturally.
Does anyone want to see a sped up / time lapse video of the build ?
On the one hand I just want to get it done investing too much time on videoing and explaining stuff as I go, but on the other it'd be a good resource for those starting out.

To all the flx owners who've built your bikes so far - do you think you need an instructional assembly video ? I think it's all pretty self explanatory (minus pro tips like fitting the top shock bolt before the seat subframe) but then I'm not a noob to this

Hyena said:
I'm envious of your road trip Lash! That's something I'd love to if I could find time.
Your Alpha looks great Rix, I really like the colour. It's making my not want to sell the boxed up one I still have here in my workshop. I know my wife will leave me if I build up one more bike to keep though. Hmmm, maybe that's a plan - build another bike, let her follow through on her threats to leave me, then I'll have plenty of time to go on an ebike tour around the country :lol:

I will start work on my new beta build this weekend. Pics to follow, naturally.
Does anyone want to see a sped up / time lapse video of the build ?
On the one hand I just want to get it done investing too much time on videoing and explaining stuff as I go, but on the other it'd be a good resource for those starting out.

To all the flx owners who've built your bikes so far - do you think you need an instructional assembly video ? I think it's all pretty self explanatory (minus pro tips like fitting the top shock bolt before the seat subframe) but then I'm not a noob to this

I would love to see a sped up video of your build, kind of what Dlogic did a few of years back on his custom framed extra large Bomber type build he coined the Raptor before Qulbix came out with the Raptor. . Also an instructional assembly vid wouldn't hurt, but if anyone wanting to build up one of these bikes from the frame up, they should know basic assembly at the least so the instructional video may miss the targeted group, which would be Radio Shack twigget tech nerds that had never adjusted a chain on a mountain bike. Thats a tough call, but I would like to see your sped up build in process.

Allex said:
Nice one Rick, I can hear that White Ind. rattle

Nice vid Rick. Ev grin as well.

Thanks Rod and Allex, yah its fun, my next project will be to convert the Fighter to an Adapto MaxE type set up like this. Between owning the Fighter, Bomber, Alpha and Beta, the Fighter is still my favorite chassis for E bikes. So that will be the bike i do my MAX E up grade with next. Hey Allex, in 7-8 months when I get my Tax returns, you want to put together another Plug-n-ride MAX E kit running 20s 6P 30Eq cells and the MXUS V3 4T Turbo for me? I am feeling this 8) .

Hyena, instructions are always welcome and small things that we don't think about but could be essential to others like, mounting the swing arm first and check the strain on the bearings(beta frame) while tightening, only after add the rear shock.

Yeah Rick, I will gladly help you out with a new setup!

Jay, it's been almost 12 months since I built my alpha and I'm not sure if the QC is any different now, the main issues I faced for my build were the bottom bracket installation and the clamping dropouts. The issues were easily solved because I have a lot of experience in bicycle assembly. If you did a vid that shows how to install the bb when the threads are not perfect and how to use a bb tapping tool or at least show noob builders what they need to ask their LBS to do to get the job done, I think that could help them a fair bit. Same goes for the dropouts. On my alpha frame the BB and dropout clamp threads needed to be retapped. Luckily for me I knew how to do this but it seems like many people who buy these frames don't know what to do when they get these problems. Maybe installing and removing headset bearing cups and general headset installation and setup wouldn't hurt either.
I do want to say that the flux is my favourite bike of all time and thanks again to Jay, Rix and Stealth for making these frames available to us.

I do want to say that the flux is my favourite bike of all time and thanks again to Jay, Rix and Stealth for making these frames available to us.

Mostly Jay and Stealth, when I approached Stealth with a DIY idea, they had already been thinking about it. And no doubt like the Fighter and Bomber, we will see improvements on these frames as time goes on, evolution is a good thing. 8)

Rix said:

Mostly Jay and Stealth, when I approached Stealth with a DIY idea, they had already been thinking about it. And no doubt like the Fighter and Bomber, we will see improvements on these frames as time goes on, evolution is a good thing. 8)
Yeah probably mostly Jay and Stealth but you did your bit Rix I am sure it helped get the project over the line.

Evolution is good and here on ES you can see it happening all the time that's why I love this forum :D

So Rix how's your alpha in the dirt, awaiting ride report 8)

IanM said:
Rix said:

Yeah probably mostly Jay and Stealth but you did your bit Rix I am sure it helped get the project over the line.

Evolution is good and here on ES you can see it happening all the time that's why I love this forum :D

So Rix how's your alpha in the dirt, awaiting ride report 8)

My forks are preventing me from doing any serious offroading at the moment. The headtube is so tall the fork tube is lower than the lowest clearance mark. So if I land hard, my seals and will slam into the lower triple clamp. But a call to Risse Racing, and I got an dropper upper clamp on the way, this will allow me to move the fork down 15mm, more than I need. I only need about 6-7mm to clear. So when thats here and installed, ride report to follow. Been doing some road riding though. On 18s running OV7 105 DC and 350 phase, and the PWR adjusted from .51 to 1.54, I hit 57MPH last night. Really liking this adapto Max E. Of course I will turn the OVS down to 2 or 3 as I only really need 45MPH, handles great, and some folks here are going to think I am full of shit, or crazy, but I really like my Avid BB7 Mechanical disk brakes front and rear. They have just as much stopping power as my M2 and only a tiny bit more of lever effort to do it.

Rix, re your shock could you cut off say 10mm off the top of head tube instead of modifying your shock? The head tube on mine was outside of max length for the forks and I got away with taking some length off the top with a dremmel cutting disk.

9lives said:
Rix, re your shock could you cut off say 10mm off the top of head tube instead of modifying your shock? The head tube on mine was outside of max length for the forks and I got away with taking some length off the top with a dremmel cutting disk.

I thought about doing that, but the long head tube equates to more lateral stiffness on the fork. This is not a big deal with the Zochs I am running because of the lower crossmember, but if I ever go to upside down forks such as the MRP Grooves, which I like so much and will get when I find a deal on them, I will appreciate that extra 12mm of head tube.

Rix said:
My forks are preventing me from doing any serious offroading at the moment. The headtube is so tall the fork tube is lower than the lowest clearance mark. So if I land hard, my seals and will slam into the lower triple clamp. But a call to Risse Racing, and I got an dropper upper clamp on the way, this will allow me to move the fork down 15mm, more than I need. I only need about 6-7mm to clear. So when thats here and installed, ride report to follow. Been doing some road riding though. On 18s running OV7 105 DC and 350 phase, and the PWR adjusted from .51 to 1.54, I hit 57MPH last night. Really liking this adapto Max E. Of course I will turn the OVS down to 2 or 3 as I only really need 45MPH, handles great, and some folks here are going to think I am full of shit, or crazy, but I really like my Avid BB7 Mechanical disk brakes front and rear. They have just as much stopping power as my M2 and only a tiny bit more of lever effort to do it.

Great! So now Rix you're on a moto/bici too at 91Km/h :D

bigbore said:
Rix said:

Great! So now Rix you're on a moto/bici too at 91Km/h :D

E vero Simone. piu veloce quale piaggio modello "CIAO" :lol:

Allex said:
Hyena, instructions are always welcome and small things that we don't think about but could be essential to others like, mounting the swing arm first and check the strain on the bearings(beta frame) while tightening, only after add the rear shock
OK, so I started assembly on my new beta last night, set up the camera on the tripod and will try document it going together. Explaining everything as I go, especially moving the camera around makes the process a heap longer so I might just put some text descriptions later for the sort of things you mentioned. Plus if I stuff anything up I can edit it to show the correct sequence :lol:

IanM said:
If you did a vid that shows how to install the bb when the threads are not perfect and how to use a bb tapping tool or at least show noob builders what they need to ask their LBS to do to get the job done, I think that could help them a fair bit. Same goes for the dropouts. On my alpha frame the BB and dropout clamp threads needed to be retapped. Luckily for me I knew how to do this but it seems like many people who buy these frames don't know what to do when they get these problems. Maybe installing and removing headset bearing cups and general headset installation and setup wouldn't hurt either.

I dont actually have a BB tapping tool so can't do that bit. I think those of you who got the early pre-orders had a few extra teething problems that future buyers hopefully won't have. A little bit of powdercoat in the threads could probably be cleaned up with a light wire/plastic dremel wheel, but yeah if they're outright badly threaded that's probably going to require a trip to your LBS. But yeah, I don't think this should be an issue as they have everything worked out now. The initial sale price that you guys got them for is actually under what they cost to make so each one was sold at loss.

As for the headset, I've always found putting the cups in the freezer and then lightly tapping them in with a hammer and block of wood works a treat. This is also something the average Joe can do without having to buy dedicated bike tools so I think this is a good thing to show / explain. As Rix said most people who would be taking on this sort of project would have SOME sort of hands on skill and tools but most wouldn't have dedicated bike tool nor would particular want to invest in them for a one off build.

No problem! I'm just as pleased as everyone else that stealth has made these available for us. Especially the beta, I think it's really a stand out in the DIY ebike frame market.

Anyone else have any beta assembly tips they want to offer up that I can include in the video ? This is only the second one I've done and some of your guys may have run into issues I didn't, or had difficulties that I may not have registered with me if I was on autopilot.

On a different note, the samples of my new beta side covers are finally ready - back from the powdercoaters and in the mail to me today :mrgreen:
I should have them tomorrow and will then post pics. They're basically along the lines of that first photoshop picture I did, replicating the frame pattern underneath with an added personal touch. I've had them made as a double layer aluminium piece per side - a thin base layer that the carbon sticks to and also has a pre-cut hole in the neck for a standard style charge port (xlr or speakon), then the second, thicker top layer that has the trellis pattern. I thought the existing little holes underneath weren't much use and temporarily putting my charge port there saw it promptly clogged with mud. Obviously you can go drilling holes where ever you like but I think this is a nicer, simpler solution. Both pieces per side obviously had to be laser cut, then folded and then powdercoated which adds to the cost and ended up being more expensive than I'd hoped (essentially it's 4 new side covers) but what price do you put on style :p Or you could spend all day with the dremel like Alex did :lol: Speaking of which, Alex how did you do your carbon backing ? What stops pressure on the side panels popping a hole through to the cavity behind it ?

Progress so far. Gotta get this thing built in a hurry to take to the hunter valley EV festival in a few weeks :)

Attachments

• white-beta.jpg
    white-beta.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,313
Looks sweet Jay.

I found with my BB there was a little powdercoat inside the tube. I used an old steel BB cartridge with a few slots hacksawed across the thread to knock out the powderpaint. It is best done with the bearing on the opposite side inserted to create alignment. When doing another batch of frames maybe suggest to the guys to jam some scrunched up aluminium foil inside - thats what I've seen in the past.

I also recall I fitted the seat subframe then couldnt fit the shock due to the location of the bolts. I think. So a reminder to fit the shock first then the seat subframe piece if I am recalling right?

Cheers, white looks really good.

Yeah, for sure first thing you do is bolt the top of the shock onto the main body of the frame. If you dont follow any other instructions make sure you do this or you'll be spitting out swear words you didn't even know you knew :lol:
So of those bolts are a right bastard to get to and a few times i've ended up with my allen key jammed tight against the side of the frame and fighting angrily to release it after the fact. Ideally you want both a 10mm socket and ratchet ring spanner(wrench for you 'mericans) to make your life easier.

Oh and thanks, I think the black and white theme with splashes of red will look good. I'm digging the USD-6s - I dont know how well they'll ride yet (thought Kepler says they're good) but if nothing else they look tough 8)

Rodney64 said:
Jay that frame looks really nice. Do you have another one.

Oh Yah, I know where this is going.

Jay, I like this next build you are doing. My Beta is still waiting on a battery from China, and then she will be up and running as well. Still searching for the best settings for my Alpha and the MAX E. Hopefully will get it dialed. So when will your custom side covers be on and available for viewing?

Back