Strongest seat post rack

Paul_G

10 kW
Strongest seat post rack, I carry a 2nd Bomber battery thats > 25 lbs for over a year and its still unbroken.

All other racks last 200-500 miles at best.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/seatpost-racks/flipflop-lx-seatpost/

Ypedal said:
yeah, i found that one rack is not enough, but if you double up, and fill the seat post tube ( oak dowel and JB weld in my case) .. and find the type with nuts and bolts, not the quick realease, it holds up.

Quick release or bolts try to carry a Bomber battery and it will snap off at the weld of the rack to the post clamp.

Oddly enough that rack is a clamp on type and it holds up, after a year the clamp bolt it still straight and looks fine.

interesting, i've tried a bunch of quick release and none would clamp tight enough not to spin around the seatpost tube when the bike was leaned over.

and yes, when i broke the singles, it was always near the weld.. since i doubled up. no more problems.

http://ypedal.com/Chaos3.htm

till going strong since 2007 ! 8)

I had a Schwinn seatpost rack mounted for a while, the better alloy one that has a double bolt clamp, not the plastic one. It was sturdy and held well once I demystified how the correct shims needed to fit. The larger the seatpost diameter, the less the rack is apt to swing away. Also, trying to keep the weight as far forward as possible is a given. Skateboard grip tape stuck around the seatpost is the real key though.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 1,112
That's not even the strong axiom seatpost.

But maybe you don't want to use panniers. This is the axiom I have used, but I still reinforce it by adding a diagonal brace back to the frame or seatpost bottom. This diagonal brace is mandatory if you carry 15 pounds or more IMO.

Axxiom pannier rack and supports.jpg

Also a pretty strong rack, is that Schwinn one. The key thing I look for is more than one bolt securing the rack to the post. Anything with just one quick release bolt I don't like. The Schwinn has two bolts.

The axiom has four bolts. :twisted: Then the support prevents breaking the seatpost right off, yes, it's happened to me. That was a fun ride home, on a very rough trail with no seat and one hand occupied carrying the rack, seat, and battery.

Cheap but still pretty strong, a bell rack with one bolt that's steel. I use them too, but only to carry less than 10 pounds.

Hmm, looking at the axiom website, they aren't offering the heavy duty pannier seatpost rack anymore. I have two of them I don't use anymore..... and I'm pretty broke.

In my case the frame eventually cracked due to the fatigue. I no longer use such a method unless it's has no rear suspension and can utilize brackets going to the center of the wheel.

Fortunately that bike in the picture was made for DH riding, circa 2002 or so. So the bike is very heavy and strong, yet didn't have the extreme geometry common on DH bikes now. It made a great commuter, carrying that rack for about 8,000 miles. Some very big bumps on the commute route too, big enough to call small jumps when hit at 25 mph. Lots of miles carrying 30 pounds of battery, quite a few loaded to 50 pounds with water and such for long rides.

No frame problems, with a stout bike.

Back