Suggest 52v/30Ah battery for Voodoo Hoodoo e-bike

I did notice that the bike comes in a wide range of wheel sizes, and it would make sense if the motor windings (and hence, RPM) were varied according to the wheel size. It might be worth contacting the manufacturer in case the RPM listed is intended for mounting on the smallest wheel? Most ebay vendors have a poor understanding of the products they are re-selling and I doubt you'd get much out of them.

molybdenum said:
I did notice that the bike comes in a wide range of wheel sizes, and it would make sense if the motor windings (and hence, RPM) were varied according to the wheel size. It might be worth contacting the manufacturer in case the RPM listed is intended for mounting on the smallest wheel? Most ebay vendors have a poor understanding of the products they are re-selling and I doubt you'd get much out of them.
I have the impression that this kit was put together by the seller with parts sourced from different companies. He sells these kits but he installs them as well. The batteries he sells use cells sourced from Japan and then assembled in China.

minime said:
The ebike seller is selling a 52v/20Ah battery with top quality Panasonic cells (and the charger) for £500. Is that a reasonable price for a battery of this size? He said the cells are made in Japan and the battery is assembled in China, then imported to the UK.

There are many different Panasonic cells around ranging from 1USD/cell up to around 6USD/cell.

If I would buy a 500USD battery from China I would like to know which cells exactly and how many of them...

A 52V 30AH battery is a large, heavy battery for an ebike, and not a common size. This much weight should be carried in the triangle for balance, and it needs to fit in the particular frame. As was pointed out, it needs to deliver the current that the controller requires without exceeding the BMS ratings. The cells and interconnects must deliver this current without heating up. The pack build quality must be high avoid having shorts and fires. Many practices for low cost compact battery building, such as gluing cells together, don't produce the safest packs. The battery is perhaps the most important component in an ebike build, but the quality is hidden and you can't easily inspect it.

Shipping lithium batteries is difficult, and you cannot return a damaged battery. It is best to have a local source or service organization in case you need service. And batteries do occasionally need service.

You also should use a quality charger. This is also a safety item. It should be certified electrically safe from a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab. Most are not. These safety ratings are often ignored by low cost manufacturers.

How much of a risk taker are you? One friend that bought an Ali Express battery had it burn his house. The impact of a house fire is pretty major.

Focusing too much on price can result in marginal quality and safety. The cheapest solution to transportation may not be an ebike at all, used scooters are hard to beat. A quality safe ebike is not something to expect at the lowest price point. To get to that price they have to cut corners somewhere - in the bike, the motor, the battery, the controller or in the QA - and probably in all of them.

Take care and be Safe.

Where do we think resellerss buy their batteries from? Any battery can have a problem. Most often it seems the BMS. I can buy a battery from a reputable China source, also on Aliexpress, who I know sells batteries to several resellers, save near $100, and get a spare BMS with it.

None will be the quality of some resources we all know well from selling around here for years. They're just glued together batteries that are hand welded and may last years or may not. That's the nature of the beast. Every Aliexpress battery from UPP I've seen has been problem free and a spare BMS is cheap. Usually in the $20 range for the average eBike. Of course high discharge amps BMS are more expensive but 20-30A are quite cheap.

As for chargers I agree, buy the best you can. I bought one from a reseller that's been around here for years, when I went to reuse the charge lead on another charger I opened it and the fuse holder from the outside had a fuse, but inside it was never wired to anything. I finally got spooked by an overheated low end charger and bought a Satiator. It's a crazy biz, buyers must do due diligence.

tomjasz said:
Where do we think resellerss buy their batteries from?

Sketchy suppliers in Asia are everywhere but there is no shortage of real batteries and a lot of resellers have customers who depend on the specs of the battery being correct and will complain if they aren't, like with vaping...so they are very interested in getting legit batteries. More importantly, when you can afford to buy tens of thousands of batteries at a time you get a great margin on your sales anyway even with authentic batteries...so it's not necessary for big resellers to buy counterfeit to make good money.

There ARE good, and reliable Aliexpress resellers with authentic batteries. And some are the same source as many resellers. Period. In most cases, with the exception of very few, the better warranty is the additional cost.

This reminds me of a Endless Sphere "guru" buying a mystery pack on Aliexpress and the mystery pack turning out not the worst, but not the best, but average. I think he needed to do some minor work in the terms of effort, but it needed it for safety reasons. I will see what I can find, though my search technique lacks. I dont think it was SpinningMagnets, netrponix, doctorbass, might have been amberwolf.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80860&hilit=Aliexpress
Pretty sure thats the link, but I remember more foreplay then that thread.
edit: Sorry thats not it. Similar type of thing tho.

markz said:
This reminds me of a Endless Sphere "guru" buying a mystery pack on Aliexpress and the mystery pack turning out not the worst, but not the best, but average.
Not unlike some USA sources. Who buy from the same vendors. No compliants or finger pointing just suggesting that sometimes the sales fluff is just that. I have average batteries and I ahave good batteries, and I can't afford the best batteries. With care i can find good to very batteries for just a few percent above average prices.

Back