Suggestion on brake cutoff for new Grin Superharness?

smitty2k1

10 mW
Just bought a new Grin All Axle V3 with Superharness (instead of Cycle Analyst) for my first e-cargo-bike conversion. The Superharness uses a 4P HigoB connector for the brake.

I have a nice hydraulic brake setup already so I didn't buy new brakes from Grin but I'd like some input on a good brake cutoff to use in conjunction with my existing setup. The Grin pushwire stuff seemed really expensive.

Is the assumption that you will be replacing connectors to match the 4P HiGo, or making an adapter?
Either/or? Seems like I can get a 4p HigoB with pigtail for like $8 on Amazon etc. Could just cut whatever other connector off and solder.

Would probably be willing to pay for the Magura MT5e if I could just get the brake lever and reuse my old hoses/caliper but they don't seem to sell those.

1) Find new compatible hydraulic brake levers that incorporate the cutoffs. For example Tektro makes an ebrake compatible lever. Be careful trying to mix and match different brand levers with other hardware unless you really do your homework (different hose and fitting diameters are a real pain to work with). An alternate to this is to completely replace your entire existing brake setup with one that has ebike cutoff levers ... but this is obviously expensive.

2) Fit switches onto your existing levers. There have been quite a few good examples over the years using a variety of different switches with glues/bonding agents to create solid relatively good looking add ons to your existing levers (the amount of work will be determined by what levers you already have and how picky you are about the visuals of the final product). You will also need to create a custom connection back to the 4 pin HiGo. So maybe also find an old compatible 4 pin HiGo connector and wire it according to the Grin doc. This will be the cheapest route but will also require the most DIY work.

3) Break down and buy the more expensive push/pullwire setup (no need to work with glue/bonding so this can be a cleaner looking setup). But you'll still need to make up custom connectors as the push/pull wire stuff from Grin have JST connectors.

1) Find new compatible hydraulic brake levers that incorporate the cutoffs. For example Tektro makes an ebrake compatible lever. Be careful trying to mix and match different brand levers with other hardware unless you really do your homework (different hose and fitting diameters are a real pain to work with). An alternate to this is to completely replace your entire existing brake setup with one that has ebike cutoff levers ... but this is obviously expensive.

2) Fit switches onto your existing levers. There have been quite a few good examples over the years using a variety of different switches with glues/bonding agents to create solid relatively good looking add ons to your existing levers (the amount of work will be determined by what levers you already have and how picky you are about the visuals of the final product). You will also need to create a custom connection back to the 4 pin HiGo. So maybe also find an old compatible 4 pin HiGo connector and wire it according to the Grin doc. This will be the cheapest route but will also require the most DIY work.

3) Break down and buy the more expensive push/pullwire setup (no need to work with glue/bonding so this can be a cleaner looking setup). But you'll still need to make up custom connectors as the push/pull wire stuff from Grin have JST connectors.
I think I'm going for #2 here - any suggested models? Seems I can get a 4p HigoB to make my own connector pigtail easily.

The magnetic cutoffs are pretty easy to work with. I used hot glue to test fit and get the alignment to work reliably before mounting more permanently.

Back