SUITABLE FULL SUSPENSION FRAMES?

Kinda like that shock location. Maybe the 4 bar link was catching riders feet when they pedaled? Not that we'd have that problem much. Love the way they always photograph bikes, like all riders are mini me. First priority for me every bike I buy, find a longer seatpost. Inevitably the post has been cut by somebody 5' 2" tall.

Cabon frames that old are not suitable for MTB use anymore. The most recent hi end ones only begin to be good, and the carbon frame technology need yet to improve. All DH and FR carbon frames still have short life expectancy, but they recently got to ride much better.

I would not build an ebike with this old carbon frame, but I'm not closed to the idea of building with some of the newer frames, eventually.

Check out my latest craigslist find: a 1993 Proflex. Needs a new elastomer (or maybe a low weight spring?), but what a deal for $50! And look at that BEAUTIFUL triangle space! It's just dying to have a battery placed in there!

Any suggestions on torque arm ideas?

The bike feels fairly light too, even with bar ends and a chunky saddle, maybe 27-28lbs.

I also picked up a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper 1998 yesterday, most likely for mtn biking (no motor), but may eventually motorize it if I prefer a hardtail for cycling.

Attachments

• 810 065.jpg
    810 065.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,491
  • 810 068.jpg
    810 068.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4,491
  • 810 067.jpg
    810 067.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4,491
Been shopping for a F.S. bike for a winter build and found this. It looks promising.

Attachments

• IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 4,418
:shock:

5151484274_48c09c77a5_o.jpg

Jerry

He, I believe FS is really minimal on this one, but I like the idea of tensile structural application to a bike frame. I think that we should see more of this, and can have good potential for in-frame battery mount.

Its a (Alex Moulton) Moutlon TSR 2 BTW. Twenty inch wheels, a S/A S2C two speed kick back hub with back pedal brake and a belt drive. The whole thing splits in the middle with no cables to the rear.

The suspension is actually very effective with good travel on the front and a little less on the back. I am actually testing a very light assist narrow width (80mm) Tongxin motor in it. Here it is in my office with motor fitted broken in its split down state.

6305969134_2358f84736_o.jpg

It's a real comfy ride.

Regards

Jerry

Please fix the image?
Thanks

Gordo, I'm curious... did you ever look into ebike conversion on the CCM Apex? I know you were looking more into the Torrent, but there are lots of the Apex second-hand in Canada (maybe its bad that people are selling them off?) and they are cheap on sale new. You had said it had more triangle space than the others.... with the Al frame, and steel(?) dropouts, seems like it might not be bad, for road use at least?

I just purchased this frame from ebay (used in a prior ebike build) for my first build.

Like many noobs, I jumped into ebiking without much research here[I have since been making up for it], but I did manage to start with an excellent platform[sheer luck :roll: ].
This is a 2003 Rocky Mountain Edge in the 20.5" version. At first, I thought it was too tall for my 30" inseam as the near horizonal top-tube is percariously close to the family jewels when flat footing. But I have since learned that electric assist helps to negate "too tall" riding issues.
But that high top-tube makes for a nice-sized triangle. The large Falcon EV bag fits nicely, as the velcro straps are long enough to go around the shock and still reach over the top tube.
Everything about this bike screams quality, from the Easton tapered alum. tubes to the Fox Float shock to the sturdy Dirt Jumper II forks.
And like most noobs, I am getting ready to do the 2.0 version, but there is nothing about the bike itself that I plan on changing.
Other Rocky Mountain models that use this frame are,
2001-2004 Edge
2001-2006 Slayer
2001-2006 Element

Attachments

• SAM_0580.JPG
    SAM_0580.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 4,087
Somebody buy this frame before I do, I have too many projects going:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=310371296013&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

:D

There's one of these for sale locally, $600. Decent battery space on the medium frame. Might be too nice of a bike for an e-commuter though. But what FS can you get for $600?
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Specialized&Model=Epic+Comp+Disc&Type=bike

Dropouts aren't the best, but not horrible either.

MadRhino said:
Cabon frames that old are not suitable for MTB use anymore. The most recent hi end ones only begin to be good, and the carbon frame technology need yet to improve. All DH and FR carbon frames still have short life expectancy, but they recently got to ride much better.

I would not build an ebike with this old carbon frame, but I'm not closed to the idea of building with some of the newer frames, eventually.
check out the vid on pinkbike, fyi: Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab

GCinDC said:
MadRhino said:

check out the vid on pinkbike, fyi: Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab
Awesome! I’m a believer of destructive testing to determine if the design can withstand the loading. It’s also useful to gain information about unintended deformations; twisting & warp, side-loading & impact. Glad to see someone doing this with bike frames. Looks like fun!

~KF

Check out my new find! Old KHS, $150 off craigslist, hauled it home on my back with the ebike (11miles). Got some great reactions from people, so worth it.

It's super cushy, but a tad heavy (will prob replace the front shock, saddle, pedals, tires of course. Look at those rear dropouts! PERFECT to bolt through, nice smooth even thick aluminum. Love those 90s frames....

Good space for a big battery, that's why I got it.

Attachments

• 810 084.jpg
    810 084.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4,226
  • 810 085.jpg
    810 085.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4,226
Yes, weight is not as much of an issue. But a light ebike is definitely noticeably more fun, performs better and handles better. Even a 5lb difference is noticeable.i hit an average of 5 stops per mile in most of my riding. Weight is a big factor.

i've always like the montague bikes, but they're not FS.

i think this one is incorporating the folder mechanism with access to battery compartment.
junmaFS.jpg
i love the idea, if that compartment were bigger, and the components beefed up. :twisted:

or there's plenty of room to add a batt box below, sorta where montague mounts it's bionx batt.

I saw one of these at the bike swap meet yesterday. Thought it was awesome for a short range lipo ebike if you cut the frame open to but the bricks inside. A bit risky to cut the frame though...

Attachments

• MC 002.jpg
    MC 002.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 3,901
Apparently Kona didn't stop making the above frame in 2004, they just renamed it the "Stab", heres a 2004 Kona Stab. After a fast web-search, it seems like they made the same frame in 2005, but...in 2006 the frame triangle is significantly smaller.

file.php

Back