Super hiryuu - A BBS02 / Leafmotor / MXUS 3kW Dual sus. bike

neptronix said:
Glad you liked it, beast. Yea, the kickstand is a little flimsy. I don't expect it to last forever... but finding a decent kickstand for a dual suspension bike is a huge challenge.

Nep - the bike looks great, nice job!

Not as convenient as an attached kickstand but it comes in handy for my FS. Particularly with the trailer hitched in those situations when there's simply nothing to lean the bike against. Not very heavy, small enough to fit in a pouch or even back pants pocket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191428105801?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

^-- that is genius.. :)

For now, i'm alright with the current kickstand.

There's not much going on with the bike at the moment. I find myself unable to keep away from doing 45mph and i'm having severe heat issues with the motor as we're edging into 80F here in Utah :(.. pretty saddening. ~2500w continuous is okay for about 5 miles in this heat... i've seen the copper hit 200C though, which is not pretty. I am sure the magnets are basically on edge.. i don't have any thermal headroom left to ride at the speeds i need to ride at.

I have a MXUS 3T 3kW motor coming in from Kinaye Motorsports though. I will run it at the same power level, 4000W peak, 48v. May need to bump the voltage up to 13S or 14S. We'll see.

Lookin forward to see you tearing around on a mxus- All your stuff is very informative plus your vids are well done! I learned alot about lipo, macs, and general ebike stuff from you.
I'll make a build thread sometime soon and hope you'll comment! Besides battery and small issues with drivelines etc, I'm mainly trying to be able to do half decent videos that include rough terrain. It may be a crappy camera mount or the fact that it's just a gopro knockoff- just seems to drop frames, and the audio is the worst I've heard from gopro videos.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R8IQD6W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's this one, but comparing the price to the gopros, I shouldn't be surprised if it's not as good probably.

Hi, glad i could be of benefit to you!

Check out 'techmoan' on youtube.. he reviews cheap cameras all the time and is very scientific in his approach :)
Me, personally... i had a gopro for a while, but the audio was crap.. i now use a Sony HDR-AS10. But the mobius camera is my second favorite cam for stationary filming. I did review both cameras on my youtube channel.

dude, what is wrong with your camera :O

I was feelin alittle bummed about the camera situation but-

Your comment comes at the perfect time and made me literally lol- it's too true, what a piece of sht. Sorry to even link it; it assaults the eyes AND ears with no discrepancy lol. Subjecting people to it is like watching them fall down a flight of stairs blindfolded, or getting chased by a hive of angry hornets!
That said. . . .there are two short vids with the same camera after I discovered vga mode, added some rubber to the mount, and shielded the mic. 2-5 of 10 quality at best, but that's pretty good cuz the first vid was like negative 20. They're on my 'build' page.

Thanks for the words on camera's, that's what I'm focusing on now until my other battry bag comes. Oh my, well, off to do some research. .

Edit, to answer your question, I think I got screwed? Techmoan reviews one that is exactly the same as mine- same accessories and box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHDu-oW7_Y In the beginning he shows the specs, and it lists 60fps for the lower vid resolutions.
On the other hand, mine is called action sports hd 'dv' (disturbing vertigo?) It suspiciously has no fps listed.
It does have good amazon reviews, but I think being a different 'model' and the fact they omit the fps tells me it's crap.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. I didn't mean to be rude, but wow... yeah.. :lol:

If that is your camera, i don't know what to tell you.. you may have got a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff instead of just a cheap knockoff :mrgreen:. This is the danger of buying these cheap Chinese cams, unfortunately.

I have a mobius action cam.. it's VERY good for filming when the light conditions are consistent.. what bugs me the most about it is the light adjustment. It simply does a poor job - adjustment for various lighting conditions is both sudden and very choppy. I would use this camera for stationary filming in situations where i want a high level of detail, but never for motion. Most of the cheap Chinese cameras have the same problem.

I am real happy with the Sony actioncam, overall. It's well balanced, easy to use, has great color and audio too. It may be more expensive, but i feel like every penny was well spent with it. It's a great value, compared to the gopro in my opinion.

Anyway, this thread is about my bike, yes? :)

On that note, i am still waiting for the MXUS 45mm wide 3T motor to arrive.

Neptronix,

Can't wait to hear about your MXUS 45mm wide 3T motor build.

For someone who doesn't want to ride at 40-45, more like 20-30mph max, would the leaf motor work? Does it have regen?

Well, i haven't updated this build thread in eons, have i..

Okay, so i switched to a MXUS 3kW motor. Put a slightly taller tire on it as well.. it gives speeds within 1mph of the leaf motor.

However, i am not totally impressed with it. It only runs a bit cooler than my scorching hot leafmotor at 45mph on the same trip ( mildly hilly, 5 mile ). The torque band is stiffer and i can tell that the motor can 'hold speed' better at high speeds, so the motor is certainly an improvement, but not a big one. I actually wonder if this MXUS 3kW motor is actually more of a 2.5kW motor.

Perhaps it is just slightly less efficient than the leaf.. even though the stator is 10mm wider.
I dunno, but something is not adding up.. the mxus 3kw does not entirely seem like 3kw capable, because that's right about where 45mph happens while i am tucking down in the most aerodynamic position i can on the leafmotor.

BTW, i am using the stock wires on the mxus, but haven't noticed them getting hot.. the motor is the most hot part of the equation here.

I upgraded the 18FET to have 8 gauge power cables to accommodate the 80-100A figures i see. I soldered 6mm HXT hobbyking bullets to them and am so far very unimpressed by them. Their resistance must be lower because i get a hilariously loud and bright pop when i connect the battery, but they don't seem to run any cooler than the good ol' 4mm HXT hobbyking bullets i've been running forever on every other motor. The connectors end up very hot. I think i might use a pair of 4mm bullets to connect the motor up for a while, until i find a better connector.

I dunno, i might just go with a slightly higher voltage pack and lower amps to make my power. Sell off the MXUS wheel and get the leaf redone into a 24 inch wheel.. i really like the lower weight of the leaf; on a dual suspension bike, every pound of unsprung weight counts..

I usually avoid to talk about the MXUS 3000 because almost everybody in ES likes it. But in reality it shoulda be called MXUS 2000 or 2500w like you said. QS 205 50H V3 seems to be the only real 3000w hubmotor available right now.

neptronix said:
Well, i haven't updated this build thread in eons, have i..

Okay, so i switched to a MXUS 3kW motor. Put a slightly taller tire on it as well.. it gives speeds within 1mph of the leaf motor.

However, i am not totally impressed with it. It only runs a bit cooler than my scorching hot leafmotor at 45mph on the same trip ( mildly hilly, 5 mile ). The torque band is stiffer and i can tell that the motor can 'hold speed' better at high speeds, so the motor is certainly an improvement, but not a big one. I actually wonder if this MXUS 3kW motor is actually more of a 2.5kW motor.

Perhaps it is just slightly less efficient than the leaf.. even though the stator is 10mm wider.
I dunno, but something is not adding up.. the mxus 3kw does not entirely seem like 3kw capable, because that's right about where 45mph happens while i am tucking down in the most aerodynamic position i can on the leafmotor.

Hi Neptronix,
So, you're going back to the leaf motor? Does that thing jump at all like the MAC? I've gotten used to the raw jumpy power of my MAC geared hub motor. I rode a few DD's at Interbike and was not impressed. Seems like I needed to get a cup of coffee while I waited to build up speed. The Falco was one I had high hopes for but felt like a dud riding in comparison to the MAC. I also got to meet Paul...he's a good guy. Honest and thorough. His new MAC motors are pretty cool.

If you really are going back to the leaf, I might pick one up just to play with it. They're so cheap!

BTW, where did you get your 18fet controller?

gensem said:
I usually avoid to talk about the MXUS 3000 because almost everybody in ES likes it. But in reality it shoulda be called MXUS 2000 or 2500w like you said. QS 205 50H V3 seems to be the only real 3000w hubmotor available right now.

You hipster.. :mrgreen:

I really think you're right. Where the leaf performs better than expected ( 2000W continuous seems fine, i've taken 15 mile rides with it; maybe it eventually overheats at 30 or whatever, but it's close to 2000w to me ), the mxus seems to perform below expectations.

I think the same can be said about the cromotor.. it's not really ok with 5000-6000w continuous at all.

My CA is not currently calibrated since i dropped solder on the shunt to fine-tune the regen power somewhat, so i can't say what's happening with certainty.

Hey man, haven't seen you in eons.. welcome back.

Trailblazer said:
Hi Neptronix,
So, you're going back to the leaf motor? Does that thing jump at all like the MAC? I've gotten used to the raw jumpy power of my MAC geared hub motor. I rode a few DD's at Interbike and was not impressed. Seems like I needed to get a cup of coffee while I waited to build up speed. The Falco was one I had high hopes for but felt like a dud riding in comparison to the MAC. I also got to meet Paul...he's a good guy. Honest and thorough. His new MAC motors are pretty cool.

If you really are going back to the leaf, I might pick one up just to play with it. They're so cheap!

BTW, where did you get your 18fet controller?

I might go back to the leaf. We'll see.. now that i am getting more battery capacity, i'll be able to go do some long rides and really test out what the continuous rating of these motors are :)

Once you get to these speeds, battery capacity kinda vanishes.. :lol:

neptronix said:
gensem said:

You hipster.. :mrgreen:

I really think you're right. Where the leaf performs better than expected ( 2000W continuous seems fine, i've taken 15 mile rides with it; maybe it eventually overheats at 30 or whatever, but it's close to 2000w to me ), the mxus seems to perform below expectations.

I think the same can be said about the cromotor.. it's not really ok with 5000-6000w continuous at all.

My CA is not currently calibrated since i dropped solder on the shunt to fine-tune the regen power somewhat, so i can't say what's happening with certainty.

Hey man, haven't seen you in eons.. welcome back.

Haha...
I have a cromotor v1 (the newer ones should be better) but it cant take 6kw continuos for sure. It can take very high bursts but if you plan to use it for a long commute you better keep you speed/watt ratio under 4kw. Maybe the over rating comes from people using small lipo packs, so the battery gets empty before the motor gets too hot. But now with alot of ebike purposed frames its not hard to see 20s 30ah-40ah packs.

The newer cromotor should be capable of 3kw continuos too.

I do post in here from time to time but none of my posts ended up in a thread you where at. Nice to see you are still around too Nep.

Well, i gave the mxus 3kW a serious whooping today and did a 11 mile ride with a good amount of stop and go, 700 foot elevation drop, 500 foot elevation gain today, averaging about 43-44mph the entire way.

I was in a full tuck whenever i exceeded 40mph..

Yup, the motor hit critical temps.. i did not 'feel' the stator coils starting to give way under the heat, dropping my speed ( which happened to the leaf after it hit 150C ), but the motor still got so hot that it could not be touched for more than a few seconds :/

This performs just a little bit better than the vented leaf, but not good enough for this challenging route.

I really believe this is not a 3kw continuous motor, maybe more like 2.5.. i think i will have to vent it in order to hold ~45mph speeds over this long distance.

I don't have a good frame that will fit a cromotor, so i think i will be venting this motor and crossing my fingers that this motor will tolerate that kind of abuse long term. It's basically the bare minimum for where i live.

On the upside, i think it is more efficient at this higher speed.. i used a few less amp hours on the trip than when i attempted this ride with the leaf at the same speeds, so that's cool.

Lol, well i got the flat from hell the other day.

Roofing nail went right through a maxxis hookworm.. i was walking the bike home and the innertube mysteriously exited the tire and wrapped around the axle. It then proceeded to shear the insulation off the hall/phase sensors as i was trickling the throttle to help me walk the ~60lb bike up the 3 mile hill.

FML.

I'm going back to the leaf motor for now. It's just so much lighter.. then, a 20ah multistar upgrade is coming soon. I'm excited about this because it will make the bike light again :)

I really think the MXUS was reaching overheat temps because you were using a 3T winding in a 26" Bicycle tire. The 3T really does much better in a small diameter tire and can sustain 3000W continuous. You would lose a bit of top end with the smaller tire, but gain on efficiency and use less current at cruising speed.

Alternatively, a 4T winding in a 26" tire is a good match, and can also sustain ~45 MPH and 3000W continuous.

You are most likely right. But that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the leaf motor ( which will do 1mph more on 12S ) and the MXUS 3T.

I'm liking the much lower weight of the leaf. I think that the perfect motor would be a 40MM wide MXUS/leaf..

Just gonna stick with the leaf until we get settled into the new place and have time to rewire the MXUS.

i have been looking at leaf motors for the last couple of weeks for my new build, I am so happy you did this thread thanks!! but do you really run a 12 fet at 70 amps? hell my 12 fet has never seen more than 35..time to get thr programming cable out ...

neptronix said:
You are most likely right. But that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the leaf motor ( which will do 1mph more on 12S ) and the MXUS 3T.

I'm liking the much lower weight of the leaf. I think that the perfect motor would be a 40MM wide MXUS/leaf..

Just gonna stick with the leaf until we get settled into the new place and have time to rewire the MXUS.

Why don't you get a QS 205 V3 with 50mm magnet and proper copper fill? Ok, it would weight 12kg but you have a proper heavy duty motor for your needs. Then you can say if the lighter leaf is better or not.

I had to watch that video twice. Grabbing the corners of my desk. Nicely done!

I just ordered the LB 1500 16 4T for my A2B Metro. Have you grenaded the 1500 yet? I ordered it with 3mm phase wires and a built-in heat sensor, but your build looked pretty stout.

ebikeSpareTire said:
I had to watch that video twice. Grabbing the corners of my desk. Nicely done!

I just ordered the LB 1500 16 4T for my A2B Metro. Have you grenaded the 1500 yet? I ordered it with 3mm phase wires and a built-in heat sensor, but your build looked pretty stout.

Can you give me a link to that kit? Please?

Back