swapping out the controller on bosch ebike system

mikeysr

1 µW
I am planning to do an ebike trip of India. I would take my R&M ebike with Bosch motor but am looking on how to use ebike battery that I could source in India as I can't source Bosch battery in India. Any suggestions??

Is this a system that requires the battery communicate with the controller for it to work? If so, you will need the correct battery to do that.

Or you would need to reverse engineer the communications and build something to fool the controller, or find someone that has done that and do what they did.

Or replace the existing controller with an external one that can run the motor and read whatever sensors there are, and work with a generic non-communicating battery. This probably means losing the display your system has now, and probably various features the built in controller/display provide.

I'd recommend looking for threads / webpages where someone has already done this and do what they did if they were successful. If there aren't any, then you'll have to determine if the motor uses standard UVW hall sensors, or is sensorless, or uses some other position sensor / encoder, as the controller has to match this type. Then you have to determine what PAS / etc sensor is used to sense your pedalling, and make sure the controller supports that, too. If you have a throttle and don't require pedal control, then you can skip that step, and just run the system via throttle when you need it, as long as the new controller supports this.

Or use a different motor system entirely that is made of generic parts and does not depend on communications between parts to operate (which is probably a better idea, so that you can use generic replacement parts when things fail on your trip, so you aren't riding unassisted for the rest of the trip after the failure.

Back