Temporary replacement controller

Hey fellow nerds,
So, I blew my stock leafbike controller (hunk of junk anyway) the other day, went a tad overboard on the old shunt modding, and she peaked out at 80a and 4200w before BANG, extreme cogging, a sure sign of a blown controller. Tried to replace the blown fets with spares I had lying around, but my soldering job sucked and I just blew up it even further.

Here's my dilemma. I already had a nucular controller on back order, so long term, problem already solved. But short term I still need some way to ride, and since I have that nuc coming eventually I certainly don't want or need to spring for anything fancy. I just need something to get me by. Preferably cheap, and capable of 50-60a (even 40a would be begrudgingly acceptable). Those are pretty much my only requirements for a temporary stopgap controller. Lunacycle offers their 60a for $100, but it's been long out of stock so that's unhelpful.

I've found a couple others that could work on aliexpress and even Amazon (I don't trust the amazon listing for the controller though, it seems super sketch). But I am very very much open to and looking for any suggestions from the community. I can't be without a bike for the next 3 months!

Thanks guys!

Greentime EVFitting on Aliexpress is pretty cheap, sensorless, surely they have a 50 or 60A in your voltage.

Might take a while to be shipped from China during China Virus times. If your in the USA, you may have to spring for a Luna Cycle controller, or www.ebikes.ca may have your controller specs but you will be paying a bit for it from anywhere you buy in North America. You can try www.em3ev.com but they are in China.

I purchased a tire from Germany on ebay and it took 2.5-3 months to arrive to Canada. I purchased some 18650 holders with epacket (fastest method of shipping) from Fasttech in China and it took same amount of time.

As long as you can get either with irfb4110 mosfets, I've had good luck with with both Greentime's 18fet controller and YYK YuYangKing's 18fet with the advantage going to the YYK due to android phone programmability (maybe they have an iPhone app now, but no idea since I'd never own an i-anything.) Note that I never tried overclocking the YYK controllers I've had, and I've taken my Greentime 18's to over 100A as long as they get good air flow. Also, you need the bluetooth module for the YYK. Greentime can be slow to ship if the controller needs to be built up, so be sure to order what they have in stock and ready to go.

since its temporary, I'd say just buy a cheap ass 40 amps scooter controller. Base your decision which one on which can ship fastest to you more than price, or anything else. So look on ebay, or amazon and try for ships from your continent.

John in CR said:
As long as you can get either with irfb4110 mosfets, I've had good luck with with both Greentime's 18fet controller and YYK YuYangKing's 18fet with the advantage going to the YYK due to android phone programmability (maybe they have an iPhone app now, but no idea since I'd never own an i-anything.) Note that I never tried overclocking the YYK controllers I've had, and I've taken my Greentime 18's to over 100A as long as they get good air flow. Also, you need the bluetooth module for the YYK. Greentime can be slow to ship if the controller needs to be built up, so be sure to order what they have in stock and ready to go.

Ended up going with the YYK, but am a bit disappointed there is no PAS, or at least the model I bought doesn't appear to be wired for it. Would probably prefer a display as well but I can live with just the app. It will do the job for now and at a reasonable price. Thanks guys.

My Leafbike KT controller failed also after only using it 3 times. It was the stock 40a controller with no modifications. Glad I have a rear motor since it cogged pretty hard at 30mph and almost threw me off. Felt like a rear wheel lock up. A front wheel motor cogging would be dangerous. The wheel cogged when power stopped then power came on again for a second then cogged hard again when the power cut out. It was funny when I tried to pedal down hill standing up on the pedals for more leverage it would barely roll. Once I disconnected the phase wires I could pedal normally again. The blue phase wire was reading zero ohms so I suspect a fet failed.

Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184008919165

If you tamper with it like you did the last one, you'll probably ruin it too.

Is the yyk programmable in the sense that output amps can be reduced? I want to begin upgrading my second bike but plan to run the existing weaksauce motor a while longer as I handle battery and controller upgrades and don't really want to cook it.

Back