Test riding my "new" FS ebike results so far

MikeSSS

1 kW
Previous ebike used a direct drive, no Hall sensor, front hub and a 48V, 13.5 shark battery in the rear rack. First host bike was a rigid 3 x 6 speed sort of mtb, second host was a Jamis Hudson 1 x 7 that is sort of like a Townie. Those bikes worked just great but no suspension was too rough at times.

"New" build uses an old Mongoose FS mtb, 3 x 7, from back when Mongoose was a bike shop bike. Rear hub motor is a MAC 12T purchased from EM3ev, with matching controller, half twist throttle and a Cycle Analyst V3. Battery is a 52V, 20Ah, 14s, 8p, it weighs 12.2 lb, about half the weight of the gel cell battery I started with 6 years ago.

The Grin rear torque arm I got was made to attach to the seat stay, but that pivots. I made torque arms for both sides, fitted more snugly than the Grin TA. The cassette side uses two 3/16" arms welded together to give 3/8" thickness and a forward arm 6" long that transfers torque to the bottom of the chain stay. Two U bolts are used to hold the forward arm to the chain stay, they resist the torques attempt to pull the axle downward out of the dropout. So the TA resists torque and provides axle retention, in addition to the axle nut. The other side TA is similar but is open on top to admit the motors wires. This TA uses a 7/16" bolt to provide axle pinch. 7/16" because those nuts are big enough to be easy to weld to the TA. Like the other side, this TA resists torque and provides axle retention to assist the axle nut.

On the road and bike paths, the FS does indeed have a much superior ride to the rigid host bikes. The MAC 12T has more low speed power than the DD front hub had, top speed is about the same at 25 mph. Both were fine for my normal 12.5 mph average speed. There is less noise from the MAC than the sensorless DD at times when the DD made some cogging resonance. Otherwise both have been pretty quiet. When there was no cogging resonance, the DD was very quiet.

I tried CA throttle settings of Pass Thru and Amps, for me Pass Thru gives better low speed control and also works better with the Cruise Control function. The throttle bottom point was adjusted a bit for better low speed stuff and less initial dead band.

Using CC is really nice. Cruise is particularly useful on climbs, the rider just worries about steering, balance, shifting, cadence, and human power, Cruise handles the throttle and e-power. After 77 miles using the CA, I'm sold on it.

On a 40 mile ride, average amps were 6.9, average watts were 112, avg mph was 11.4 and avg miles per Amp hour were 5.74. It's been 39 degK in the sun, in the afternoon, highest observed hub temperature has been 62 degK.

Over 77 miles the MAC has averaged 5.65 mi/Ah. The old Aotema direct drive averaged 3.46 mi/Ah over 612 miles at an average of 12.5 mph, but that was based on recharge data and may be low. It is likely the sensored gear motor is more efficient than a sensorless direct drive motor.

So, I'm happy with an old FS bike using a rear hub motor, used for gentle riding.

MikeSSS said:
On a 40 mile ride, average amps were 6.9, average watts were 112, avg mph was 11.4 and avg miles per Amp hour were 5.74. It's been 39 degK in the sun, in the afternoon, highest observed hub temperature has been 62 degK.

Wow, mighty cold where you are. Nitrogen freezes at 63°K, oxygen at 54°K - that's solid, not liquid - so that could slow you down some. Ha ha.

For my next trick I thought I'd see if I can convert to Watt-hours/mile - comes out around 9 Wh/mi? That's pretty good, on a not too aerodynamic type of bicycle. You're putting a lot of the work in at the pedals?

Rear suspension is a significant improvement for a ride, motorized especially. Enough to mix C and K, which is still not as bad as mixing red and green. :wink:

Rankine, Kelvin, F, C, yeah I had a brain freeze moment.

Working pretty steady on the pedals, but less than usual because of being off the bike for 42 days between selling the previous ebike and getting the new one going. The human power will come back though. Last ride the iphone said San Antonio was 98 deg F, but my AC unit in direct sun said 107 F. This was after yesterdays ride, high temps slow me down some, especially if some shopping is done along the way. On that ride the CA3 tells me the MAC got up to 67.8C, I was probably being lazy on a climb.

Love the FS, now I need a FS bike that has enough triangle open for the 20 Ah battery to fit.

Life's better on two wheels.

Back