That darn Aluminum Adaptor!!!

carl2.0

10 W
Hey guys,

I have one of those old conhis rear motors with the left hand free wheel thread of course I used a freewheel disc brake adapter like this one http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...sc-brake-adapter---free-or-flip-flip-hub.html and the threads are complete shit now :(

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a steel adaptor that I can just weld on to the hub motor(by tacking it onto the axel ofcourse) ???? Yes I explored just getting it made. where I leave machinist seem to enjoy ripping you off for small work... one guy charged me $60US labour+ material :S This is the best I've seen so far it even has a screw to lock it in place but it will take a while to reach me (in the Caribbean):( http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-arai-to-disc-brake-adapter-for-140-mm-oln-98-td-prod29105/. The sooner I get back to riding my retro the happier I will be :)

480459_10152504995890344_334888328_n.jpg

carl2.0 said:
Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a steel adaptor that I can just weld on to the hub motor(by tacking it onto the axel ofcourse)

I assume that was a joke.... tacking/welding the brake adaptor onto the axle.....

Anyway, have you thought about gluing the current adaptor onto the knackered thread with that dp stuff doctorbass uses?

Yeah, it can't attach to the axle, it has to attach to the part that rotates, the hub cover.

So your options are pretty limited. Find a new hub cover, or some kind of epoxy it on solution. It could be possible to weld an aluminum adapter to the aluminum cover.

But the real solution you need, for brakes you can trust to stay on, is get a newer motor with bolt on disk mounts built into the cover.

There is a possibility that a different brand hubmotor cover would fit. 9c and muxus covers can swap for example. I don't know if conhis is that close to same or not.

Spicerack said:
I assume that was a joke.... tacking/welding the brake adaptor onto the axle.....

Anyway, have you thought about gluing the current adaptor onto the knackered thread with that dp stuff doctorbass uses?
You guys are correct its not the axel, the correct thing to call it is the cover. You say that cover is made of aluminum ?? If so I can buy one of those alumnium freewheel adapter and have a aluminum welding friend to tack it onto the cover

That's a possiblity. Or even just the aluminum type that have more threads and surface area might work better than the steel adaptors for epoxying it.

Might be worth a try to just replace the hubcover with a 9c one after confirming that the diameters of the flange are identical. The bolt holes can be re done if needed.

If you're going to glue or weld, you need to think about the accuracy you need to hold it level, otherwise you'll have a wobbly disk.

Back