* * * THE 60 MPH CLUB * * *

:arrow: Let me remind everyone that to "officially" get into these clubs you need to do your speed run on FLAT LAND.

Having hit the ground twice at speeds in excess of 60MPH I can vouch that it hurts. The first time required hospitalization and I still have to wear my hair longer in the back to cover the scars, the second time it took a couple of years for the color to come back on my hands, the road rash was so bad.

Each time was on a motorcycle and it went from perfectly fine one second to sliding down the asphalt hoping the helmet would hold up the next. Jeans ripped about off, a leather jacket ruined and immense damage to the bike. (a Matchless 750 and a Harley XLCH)

The most recent of those was in 1967 and were lessons well learned. At my age I appreciate the fact I can go 30 or 32 MAX but simply don't cruise above 20, hoping I can survive that speed. With shorts I tend to slow it down a little more if conditions warrant. A few years ago, on this same bike, a crack in the sidewalk wobbled me into a 3' high concrete barrier on a bridge. The skin was effectively removed from my right leg in a six inch path from my ankle to my knee. It wept for weeks and PO'd my wife as it tended to ruin bed sheets. That was at three or four miles an hour. Oh, even at that speed it threw me over the barrier onto the road. Fortunately no cars were coming and my head never hit the ground which saved my helmet from getting scratched.

Go for it, realize that lacking full suspension and tires and wheels rated for that speed though can be hazardous to your health.

Mike, Palm Coast, FL

What kind of gloves were you wearing to get such bad road rash? :shock:

A friend and customer of mine went off the back at 110mph because he thought it would be a good idea to hit the nitrous while doing a wheelie in 4th gear. 110-0 sliding on the pavement and the only rash was to one ankle bone because he had cheap boots. If you ride without basic gear you're pretty much asking for trouble.

The problem was NO gloves. Boots, helmet, leather jacket and jeans. The jeans came apart in a couple of places but I was able to preserve my modesty, a little but I had forgotten my gloves.
Mike

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

Must have been going pretty fast if she couldn't hang on the back due to wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI7gk9GnGiQ

And some people should never be allowed on 2 wheels. (sometimes 4 as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBQllGwEJ18&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviIEitoyh4&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBtnC6JnifA

Man, the canned laughter on the guy ruining the harley is really bad taste.
He didn't even get up after the crash...

58.1mph one way speed on the way to work yesterday. Without resorting to lower fairings (not an option as it won't fit in a bike rack) 60mph will be more difficult to reach than I thought. Not counting downhills or tailwinds of course.

72 mph today...

...anybody else get spurious peak speed readings from a Drain Brain? It's accurate over a known distance, but I know I didn't go over 60 mph. This is the second time it's happened. All I can think is that the front wheel's leaving the ground briefly (pretty unlikely considering my riding style) or I'm passing through a space-time discontinuity.

Mine has given false MaxS readings a couple of times. Maybe has something to do with the sensor wires running beside the high current phase wires?

Good idea but I don't think it's that Lowell. I have the 600A version, which uses a shunt. The speed sensor wires run straight up the forks to the Drain Brain and are a good 300 mm from any power cable.

Must be a glitch/filter issue then. I wish it would do it consistantly so I could put my DSO on it and record the waveforms from the hall sensors.

100 kph - 62 mph

Intellibike_a.jpg

The first record was broken by the IntelliBike of the University of Applied Science in Biel. To develop the IntelliBike electric racing cycle for the World Solar Challenge in Australia in October 2001 has been one of the most challenging projects of the Technical school in Biel. On the 3025 km long World Solar Challenge across Australia the Swiss team reached a top speed of just over 100 km/h with this ultra light and energy efficient electric bike.

The cycle is lightweight on account of its carbon fibre frame and lithium polymer battery. The wheel hub motor has a maximum output of 1000 W. Its efficiency level reaches 96% at 570 revolutions a minute and 13 Nm. The intelligent motor steering takes account of pedalling frequency, rider performance and heartbeat. Energy consumption is 1.8kWh per 100km at an average speed of 66 km/h on the 3,025 km-long course across Australia.

http://www.e-mobile.ch/index.php?pid=en,2,2,7

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Yeah, but 96% efficiency isn't good enuf because its a hub motor. :lol:

Well this is obviously a true "pedal powered vehicle" on top of the motor power. So my "guess" would be that they designed the hub motor so that it "peaks" at really high speeds. The pedals are used for hill climbing and getting up to speed and then the hub motor "kicks in" where it's efficiency is best. Also, on a sprint the human body can add an additional 1000 watts so you end up with 2000 watts at the rear wheeel for a short period.

I'm sure that if they tried to climb a hill with that on a 10% slope at 10 mph the efficiency would be pretty bad for the motor. (like 50% or so)

Australia is mostly flat... so they probably tuned the bike for flat land performance... one wonders however that at 1000 watts if they were to place the guy into an areodynamic fairing if they could achieve the same results WITHOUT pedaling.

:arrow: That's my central theme... make the pedaling "optional" and focus on "sport riding" and wind resistance... make it more of a "light motorcycle" and less of a bicycle.

Still, all in all, this is a great (and expensive) project to have pulled off... (that rear wheel must have cost more than my entire bike combined)

The amazing thing was:

41 mph AVERAGE speed over a course that was 1879 miles long!

I wonder how many miles they went on each leg of the trip?

Seems that the areodynamic solar powered machines are WAAAAAY faster than the pedal machines.

Look at those AVERAGE speeds!

That's going 60 mph across the entire continent of Australia!

That's truly being a member of the 60 mph club. (that's no fluke)

1mph to go!

59mph on the way home from work, complete with backpack, windproof pants and jacket.

That Intellibike is very impressive, and a more powerful version would be my ideal ebike. 96% efficiency with no drivetrain losses!

:arrow: Wow!

You've set the bar up really high now.

My frame is able to handle speed really well and it seems to get better the faster I go. You need to build a better frame with a longer wheelbase and less flex so that those speeds are not going to cause you harm.

My new tires have been great and I've been doing controlled "drifts" of the rear wheel through high speed sweeper turns at about 30 mph. These new tires have a smooth edge on them compared to the bumpy edge on the old tires. Plus the rear tire is about twice as rigid as before. Without the very rigid frame the chances of frame flex that contributes to a "high side" is very real. Before you will be able to really "enjoy" that speed in a real handling sense you will need that new frame.

:arrow: The real "fun" of a "road racer" is turning. Once you get satisified with your top speed you need to focus on making that speed "count" by allowing the bike to handle better.

60 mph "should" be as far as any of us go with this stuff because beyond that you really are a "motorcycle". Actually, 50 mph is probably a more realistic top speed for this type of vehicle. If I ever sold these things as a product I'd sell it "crippled" so as to conform to the 20 mph or 30 mph base law and then allow the bike to be easily modified to go up to 50 mph.

I'm just not going to go after 60 mph intentionally... 50 mph is my goal... and on true flat land...

60mph on the flats is not practical from a battery drain point of view for my bike. For the bicycle unfriendly sections of my commute, 50mph is just right to go with the flow of traffic, and 35-40mph otherwise.

I let an R6 rider take my bike out last night, and he thought is was really cool and surprisingly fast.

Back