The freewheel broaching sign-up thread, and video of process

MrBoots said:
For anyone considering a moderately-powerful RC system, I think the ENO might be the only viable option. My cheapo freewheel from Monsterscooterparts is now toast with maybe only miles on it. Luke - sent you a PM!

Hey MrBoots, did I miss something? Have you posted pics of your working setup?
Last I saw it was in the final assembly stages. :D

Photos of broken innards of Dicta freewheel would be fun too.

Grinhill, yeah my ebike worked for about two weeks. With my tall gearing, I think there was just too much torque for the freewheel at anything less than 10mph. I haven't been able to take photos because I dropped my camera while trying to record video for a 35mph run. Once I get the freewheels from Luke and get a replacement camera, I'll post them right away.

I mailed out your broached freewheels yesterday, along with 6 others for other folks. :)

I just wanted to sing the praises for LFP and his father. Next time I'm out in the PNW (or if you come to Boston), drinks for both of you guys are on me. I just received the broached freewheels and they look absolutely amazing. No kidding, this is the kind of job that machine shops would charge a pretty penny for and you're just doing it pretty much for free. Luke, you're a real stand-up guy - thanks for helping me get my ebike back on the road!

Does anyone know if there is a difference in spline sizes between cassettes from different manufacturers? I got the ENO's back from LFP but I'm having a heck of a time tapping them onto the cassette hub and I don't want to force it too much as to damage/break the freewheel. Am I doing something wrong?

they do them as a tight fit (press fit) it will take some work to get them on. I used a dead blow hammer. Also, you will need to be hitting on the center, I used a sprocket from the old cassette amd and a 1/2" drive socket that fit over the splines.

If you have a casstte other than a shimano it may not fit. Match it up with the old sprockets and see if they are close.

Drewjet, thanks! You're right, I just wasn't using enough muscle to bang it onto the cassette. I found a 33mm socket and used that to hammer it in. Took a little effort, but it's nice and snug now! Now I just need to readjust my chains and the bike will be back in action again. Thanks all!

Link to working SRAM DD 3 speed Please ?? .... besides Miles and Randy

Whoa! That's crazy!

Just a few pics of how I've put Luke and Thud's great work to use. Plus big thanks to Luke's father.

220620101101.jpg

220620101102.jpg

220620101099.jpg

280720101173.jpg

gear ratio is 10:1 (100:10) using a 12s lipo the top speed should be about 62kph, though should've paid more attention to the HV110 first time out!

100720101124.jpg

No time to test the new HV160 out, am on hols o/s for 6 weeks, but hope to post some more when I get back.

cheers

Brian

Nice setup! That's as good as non hub drive gets IMO. Beautiful with the #219 chain and spoke isolation setup. You even made your poor HV110 controller look like my pair of them looked after being confronted with the big HXT motor. :)

Thanks Luke, appreciate the compliment. Aimed for a clean looking install, and figured where you'd fitted your motors was the about the best place to put the big HXT.

Had a few sync problems under load with the HV110 but pressed on anyway. Result was a big plasma fire ball!

Am modding a 12 fet with 3077 fets to run on the bike, but will test my luck with the HV160 in the mean time.

I push the limits of very beefed up 18fet controllers to my HXTs, and its about all they can take.

Running at a lower voltage with the 3077s with a 12fet should be fine thermally (maybe better than 18fets with 4110), but you still will have the package leg limits, so pay special care to get as much copper on the board in close proximity to the fet legs to help them stay cool, and minimize additional sources of leg heating.

Were you running additional caps on your hv110? doesn't appear so on the above pic of the blown unit.

I would be worried about cleaning the motor up on rock or a tree hanging out the side, reminds me of one of them cheap currie setups, definitely don't think its the best place to mount a motor, regardless well done on the instal you will have much better luck with a hv160 i think, wasn't able to blow mine under riding conditions.

KiM

will do Luke, have some 12 gauge solid copper wire to beef up the traces. This will be my first go at modding a controller so unsure how it will turn out.

hey Kim, you what you mean about it looking like a currie, that's what I had one my first ebike! Weighed up the downside of it hanging out the side of the bike like that versus a nice short chain and thought it was worth the trade off. I did have extra caps on the HV110, you can see two 1000uF panasonic caps above the originals and yep it worked fine on my other deeper geared bikes. The caps themselves were fine, the fets went into thermal runaway and ultimately blew the sh*t out of them.

briangv99 said:
hey Kim, you what you mean about it looking like a currie, that's what I had one my first ebike! Weighed up the downside of it hanging out the side of the bike like that versus a nice short chain and thought it was worth the trade off. .

Long as you dont ride too close to things on the right side and/or fall off the bike on the right side it should be fine LoL...Cringe thinking to what will happen to the motor when you fall off in dirt though... :-S

KiM

Long as you dont ride too close to things on the right side and/or fall off the bike on the right side
will definitely post if the HXT gets some unintended road rash lol.

Cringe thinking to what will happen to the motor when you fall off in dirt though
This one will be mostly a streeter, this one will be all dirtbike
260720101172.jpg
:D but still a bit of work to go before get that one going

Aussie ....

Your video shows a 100m run on 48 volts .. 35amp controller ....Cyclone motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66L_xOQYik

have you changed motors ? Any better times ??

considered a broached freewheel set up ?

Is the motor freewheeling on the hub or motor end ?

Did/have you considered the SRAM DD ?

briangv99 said:
Just a few pics of how I've put Luke and Thud's great work to use. Plus big thanks to Luke's father.

220620101102.jpg

gear ratio is 10:1 (100:10) using a 12s lipo the top speed should be about 62kph, though should've paid more attention to the HV110 first time out!

Hi Jmy,

this is the freewheel broaching thread, so of course at the hub. What you see at the motor is an aluninium adaptor I turned up on the lathe.

I do have a SRAM DD ready to test, see below. Will give it a go once I'm back from overseas.

100620101098.jpg

jmygann said:
Aussie ....

Your video shows a 100m run on 48 volts .. 35amp controller ....Cyclone motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66L_xOQYik

have you changed motors ? Any better times ??

considered a broached freewheel set up ?

Its not my bike its Matt.P E.S member 1000w and no its same motor but he has modified the
cyclone controller for 50amp now or 75 i forget either way its quicker it already runs
a ENO freewheel on the back hub with a belt setup from cyclone to hub.

KiM

briangv99 said:
Hi Jmy,

this is the freewheel broaching thread, so of course at the hub. What you see at the motor is an aluninium adaptor I turned up on the lathe.

I do have a SRAM DD ready to test, see below. Will give it a go once I'm back from overseas.

100620101098.jpg

will you use 10:1 ratio ....(10 teeth - 100teeth) ?

what volts .. amps ??

Back