The King of Mid-Drive Batteries

elementary

10 W
HobbyKing that is...
My early ebikes needed to use RC batteries for the 30 plus amps of the inefficient motors and controllers. Now that has change because the efficient Bafang BBS-XX only need 25 to 30 amps, but the small packaging of 10c 6s Multi-Roto LiPo's has kept us loyal to the King... HobbyKing!
Currently, most fat bike rides are10 to 20 miles of single track wooded, muddy, logs, and rocky trails with average speed of only 5 to 10 mph so the small 10 amp hour package is adequate.
Before hooking up with BestTech BMS systems we would bulk charge... and only with close monitoring fires were avoided. Now the BMS units offer better battery life and the bad cells are being identified before they go critical.
IMHO, the BBS-02 mid drive compact size and light weight is complemented by the 5 pound 10 ounce 100 amp capable battery pack.
When mounted the large frame bag (metal tray holds batteries) the bag also carrys a High Volume tire pump, tool kit, patch kit and tire iron.
Check out the pictures:
size7sm.jpg
View attachment 4
bagopensm.jpg
fitsinsm.jpg
smallbag2sm.jpg
fattiesmall.jpg

So, a fire can be avoided with very careful monitoring. A fire in the neighborhood of my crotch. It does not sound like a kingly ride to me.

I'm running the 8AH version of those batteries with my BBSHD but I don't have the BMS. How does that work? Do you leave it plugged into the balance leads while riding and when charging? I looked on their website, which one did you get and why. I've only been using a balance charger on mine. I love the power density of those batteries but they do scare me a little. Sounds like a BMS is good for a little more piece of mind.
Pete

Back