The Revival - Puch Magnum Build

Progress this weekend:
-Front end situated, spacer cut / drill etc
-steering head bearings situated, it took a bit of shimming and otherwise.
-Swingarm pivot lubricated. Damn that thing would barely move. Really weird rubber setup
-Hope Mono M4 installed on the front... I think I want to go to V2s... at least for the front
- Rear shocks installed. Bushings situated, The rear shocks are wayy too stiff.

If I remove turns of a coil, does the spring get stiffer or looser? Why this is not intuitively obvious to me I don't know, but I can make the equations say either thing depending on which ones I use... Ugh

Removing coils from a spring only changes the active range. It will still have the same initial force to start compressing it. You are going to have to use other springs. Can you use the ones from the stock suspension on your shocks?

dbaker said:
Removing coils from a spring only changes the active range. It will still have the same initial force to start compressing it. You are going to have to use other springs. Can you use the ones from the stock suspension on your shocks?

Thanks man. The stock springs definitely won't do. I really want to run these nitrogen shocks, instead of the crappy springs... I'll have to contact the manufacturer...

cutting down the spring a bit might allow me a little less preload, which may help slightly, but I figure the spring constant basically stays the same.

Cutting the spring will *increase* the spring rate!

Think of it as a torsion bar that's been coiled up - the steel twists as the coil is compressed. We all know from messing with materials in day to day life that a long piece of anything is easier to twist, and springier than a short piece of the same material.

Punx0r said:
Cutting the spring will *increase* the spring rate!

Think of it as a torsion bar that's been coiled up - the steel twists as the coil is compressed. We all know from messing with materials in day to day life that a long piece of anything is easier to twist, and springier than a short piece of the same material.

Ahh of course! I'm not sure why this was counter intuitive at first. I'll probably just have to get a different shock at some point.
Thanks!

Just traded in my M4s for these bad boys... :D
hope-techv2vtd-203mm-Vented-Rotor%2BLevel%2BHose.jpg

20140209_184645.jpg

20140209_184641.jpg

20140209_184635.jpg

Waiting on rotors but progress is made. Time to build an enclosure and weld some mounts.

That brake looks awesome. What model is it? Almost looks MTB sized, but the rotor seems too fat. I like it.

nice build :)

the braking system looks like a Hope tech V2 with vented rotor. one of the best bicycle brakes out there (i think it is the best).

EVTodd said:
Looking good!

Can you tell me the length of those forks from the center of the axle to the bottom of your headset? I may have to get a set for my moped project. They look great.

I think they're 29 inches, but I dropped them through the clamps to drop them down to like 28.5.

madin88 said:
nice build :)

the braking system looks like a Hope tech V2 with vented rotor. one of the best bicycle brakes out there (i think it is the best).

That's correct. However, I just accidentally ordered the non-vented rotors. I think I'll try these out and then maybe swap out the front for the vented rotor. The vented rotor was so sexy that it was pretty much the whole reason why I went with them :) They're still above as thick as a normal motorcycle rotor, so I have some faith.

Where did you get the clip ons?! I have that same fork on my build!

Whiplash said:
That wrist angle looks painful. Might the clamps be upside down? Seems like the open slot should be underneath so as not to collect water and crap.

gogo said:
Whiplash said:
That wrist angle looks painful. Might the clamps be upside down? Seems like the open slot should be underneath so as not to collect water and crap.
Yeah, they're intended to be flipped so they're swept downwards (I have clip-ons too). There's a decent selection of these bars from various eBay suppliers. They fit various DH forks too, but I had to make a shim for mine from a red bull can ;)

Oh OK cool thx!

Whiplash said:

Awesome! I just got them from ebay fairly cheap. I think they were like 50 bucks.

trevc2 said:
gogo said:
Whiplash said:
Yeah, they're intended to be flipped so they're swept downwards (I have clip-ons too). There's a decent selection of these bars from various eBay suppliers. They fit various DH forks too, but I had to make a shim for mine from a red bull can ;)

Yeah the rise is intentional. There's only 7 degrees of rise. The clip-ons are indeed reversed and opposite to the way the manufacturer intended. This is something very typical in the street fighter/stunt scene. I've had renthals with more angle. I think it's more the picture. Any they are by no means setup yet.

I've been curious how you decided on a DH MTB front-brake instead of something from the motorcycle side of the fence. Wouldn't an MC brake be more durable and resistant to fade? Some wouldn't be too heavy either, not relative to the build.

Hope it's going well, great thread.

Cheers

trevc2 said:
I've been curious how you decided on a DH MTB front-brake instead of something from the motorcycle side of the fence. Wouldn't an MC brake be more durable and resistant to fade? Some wouldn't be too heavy either, not relative to the build.

Hope it's going well, great thread.

Cheers

Yeah, I went back and forth. These will have much better modulation and are still cheap to maintain. Since both wheels have a standard ISO bolt pattern, is was alot easier to go with a bicycle disk, since I didn't really want to make an adapter plate do a larger disk. I'm sure it will evolve over time :) I have faith in these brakes though. The rotors are about 3x heavier than any other bicycle brake, it practically is the same as a small motorcycle brake. It fits the application really well.

More pics we need more pics!! Lol! :!:

I know! I need more time to work on it, I haven't made much progress in the past month. Grad school is killing me, not to mention I'm working on Zero powered electric superbike... a few too many irons!

grindz145 said:
Progress Albeit Slow. Getting there though.

View attachment 1

Looks awesome! Have you thought about extending the rear swingarm a little? With those big tires it might look a bit short. Might look cool that way though.

Back