The Revival - Puch Magnum Build

I see no reason to extend the rear swingarm, there is plenty of clearance even for this 3.125" tire. If anything I would cut the headtube and take and make it a bit more steep. The rear shocks are too short though. I'll have to find suitable replacements at some point.

Longer swingarm would net more travel though!

Whiplash said:

More travel isn't exactly what I need right now though, just a longer shock itself for geometry sake. Travel is great for downhill bikes, but you really don't need much on a street bike.

grindz145 said:
Whiplash said:

More travel isn't exactly what I need right now though, just a longer shock itself for geometry sake. Travel is great for downhill bikes, but you really don't need much on a street bike.

It's going to be a wheelie monster too. Either way, I can't wait to see it done. :D

EVTodd said:
grindz145 said:
Whiplash said:

It's going to be a wheelie monster too. Either way, I can't wait to see it done. :D

Haha, oh I see your concern now :) This will be a bit overpowered, but I like the short wheelbase for city "flickability" but it will affect straight line performance.

Worked on my torque plate last night. Half-inch steel is a pain in the ass to machine with a drill press :) Almost there though. I am not a mechanical guru by any means.

Looks like a cool project! Nice rear wheel :lol:

You picked a good bike for the conversion. I would suggest the batteries are mounted high for better handling at speed. The closer to your own CG, the faster the bike will react.

Was there any frame modification to fit the pit bike forks?

johnrobholmes said:
Nice rear wheel :lol:

Thank you sir, that's all JRH right there. If anyone wants a gorgeous rear wheel, voltriders.com ftw. I'm tempted to build a front wheel with that hoop as well, because the thing is just so frocking gorgeous.

johnrobholmes said:
I would suggest the batteries are mounted high for better handling at speed. The closer to your own CG, the faster the bike will react.

Hmm no kidding. I'm planning on mounting the batteries in a box near where where the motor used to be. This is mostly because of the size of the battery and such that n00b riders would perceive the bike as lighter and more approachable. You've brought up a very good point though. If the weight is higher, on a faster turn, the lean angle will be less, CG of the bike is further into the turn. Although, I'm intentionally using a smaller battery pack (2kwh) in order to keep the weight fairly small (25 lbs as planned) so it may not be that much of an issue, since my body will be much more of an influence on the CG of the bike anyway, as opposed to my 700lb sport touring fatty (don't tell her I said that).

In that case, you will be able to man handle the low slung weight just fine. And have a super easy mount point for the box! It won't be worse than a stock bike, for sure.

Where did you pick up the rear shocks? Moped Ed?

If you're wanting to keep the bike light, why are you using 1/2" steel plate? Why not aluminum?

torquehd said:
If you're wanting to keep the bike light, why are you using 1/2" steel plate? Why not aluminum?

Aluminum is a bad choice for torque arms, that's why. When he says "keep it light", you have to realize the rear wheel is about 35 pounds by itself. Keeping gross weight under 120lbs will be light. The difference in 25lbs or 50lbs of batteries will make a difference, but the rest of the components are beefy enough to withstand the massive hubmotor.

johnrobholmes said:
Was there any frame modification to fit the pit bike forks?

I didn't have to modify the frame, although shortening the head-tube would have allowed for more threads on the stem nut. I have maybe liek 6 threads on there, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. I did have to shim out the steer tube (whatever you call it in motorcycle terms) of the forks in order to fit the races from the magnum. I also had to add some QuickSteel to make a collar for the top side. It was an experiment, but damn, I actually feel pretty good about how it turned out. No more steering slop:

20140209_132012.jpg

johnrobholmes said:
I
Where did you pick up the rear shocks? Moped Ed?

Just some Ebay store. They're generic "RFY" shocks. I need longer ones, but they were cheap. They're also wayy overspring.

torquehd said:

Mainly Because I don't want it to snap off.... If you have upwards of 30hp pushing up against a 1/2 of metal, you better make that half inch of metal, pretty frocking strong. It will also serve as a brace for the entire rear part of the swingarm, including suspension mounts. I'm actually considering using aluminum for the other side, since it will have to be a brake bracket as well, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach it yet.

How is this build going?

I picked up a Motebecane Mobylette (50v I think.) frame with fork and front wheel from a local moped shop. I am leaning towards using an old 5304 rear hub, but will need to mod the axle to fit the narrower dropouts. My attempt at a road legal, properly lightweight and quick machine.

Hey Veloman. I just picked the build back up. Just finished the torque arms and received all of the cells in. I'm going with (drum roll) Sony VTC4 cells.

Hopefully have it done by mid June.

This is awesome man, i'm very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

EVTodd said:
Any progress on this? I'm getting ready to get more serious about my moped project this winter and need inspiration! :D

Hey man! Progress has been slow! It's kind of a back burner project, and I'm treating it more as an art project rather than a practical build. HillsOfValp is welding up my pack for me right now. Realistically it will probably be done next spring. It has been dragging on forever, but I kind of enjoy just tinkering on it, rather than racing through it like i usually try to.

Looking good. I finally found a plated moto for cheap enough to go for it myself. I'm going more for a hack-n-ride than the beauty you're building. I am going to try 2wd though, since I've had these 2 hubbies in 17" moto rims sitting around doing nothing since Luke was down, yeah the ones he broke 60mph on with just one motor. Two should do the trick nicely. :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
Looking good. I finally found a plated moto for cheap enough to go for it myself. I'm going more for a hack-n-ride than the beauty you're building. I am going to try 2wd though, since I've had these 2 hubbies in 17" moto rims sitting around doing nothing since Luke was down, yeah the ones he broke 60mph on with just one motor. Two should do the trick nicely. :mrgreen:

HAH! That should be just a tiny bit fun to ride.... :D :mrgreen:

Love how things are turning out. I also have a Puch Magnum with the working ice intact. Have been contemplating turning it into a ev. Your thread is definitely inspirational. Thanks, keep on keeping on!

grindz145 said:
John in CR said:

HAH! That should be just a tiny bit fun to ride.... :D :mrgreen:

I can't touch my HubMonster powered SuperV for fun. This will be a workhorse as well as a proving ground for 2wd. Sure the front can't be optimal until I get a controller that has traction control, but I still think it will be better than 1wd.

Back