The USA really needs to convert to Metric!

jonescg said:
Miles said:
At least we should use SI units on the Sphere............
Yes, but you'd want us to use bloody pi-radians or some nonsense instead of revs per minute :p . Meters per second could work out, but would take some getting used to.

So does a 120kv motor become a 240pirkv motor? Or is it 754rv? I suppose the radians are a legit concern with the hub motors. (I assume the k in kv is the variable. 36 volt motor, 120(36)v.)

But then the metric batteries should be 10v, 20v, 100v, etc.

Course English threads were for tapping into aluminum and fine for steel. With metric you only have fine threads which can more easily be pulled loose from pressure. Also I noticed the default hole wizard in SolidWorks and the standard for metric flat head screws is different from the actual flat head screws you purchase. The heads were smaller and would set lower in the countersink. I have to custom size the sinks in sheet metal or the heads fall into the sink to far. I asked some of the best screw houses if I can get "Mil-spec" metric screws and they just laughed. "No such thing as mil-spec metric in the USA".

Dauntless said:
jonescg said:
Miles said:
At least we should use SI units on the Sphere............
Yes, but you'd want us to use bloody pi-radians or some nonsense instead of revs per minute :p . Meters per second could work out, but would take some getting used to.

So does a 120kv motor become a 240pirkv motor? Or is it 754rv? I suppose the radians are a legit concern with the hub motors. (I assume the k in kv is the variable. 36 volt motor, 120(36)v.)

But then the metric batteries should be 10v, 20v, 100v, etc.
It should be Kv for velocity constant. You can express it in radians per sec./V or rpm/V.

CogHog said:
Course English threads were for tapping into aluminum and fine for steel. With metric you only have fine threads which can more easily be pulled loose from pressure.
:?:

Fine threads allow a stronger fixing than coarse threads....... They're also less likely to loosen.

American made aircraft remain 100% Impereal. I don't have a single metric tool at work, but plenty at home.

Metric threads are available in fine, standard and coarse.

The U.S. has the peculiarity of often using decimalised imperial units. tenths-hundreds-thousandths of an inch, kilo-pounds etc. I remember being unable to make sense of American examples of beam loading calculations as I had no idea what kips were.

Back