Time to learn how to run a mill.

cancerkazoo

100 mW
A buddy of mine and I picked this up today, should be fun.

247483_10150633157740368_712775367_18865832_3538223_n.jpg

AHHhh, a lovely re-claimed bridgport.

skys the limit now, did you score any nice tooling with deal?

Looking foward to seeing what you build with it! :wink:

Let me know when your ready for the grand tour of the hillbilly work shop LOL. BYOB & skeeter dope!

great :) are you planning to CNC it? I just converted a sherline mini mill....different league of course but the principles are the same. I haven't yet made anything with it though...I took a couple of weeks off the project to build an ebike :D

This one is my buddies, I just picked up a CNC sherline lathe a couple months ago. We sort of have a community workshop going on between us.

It did come with a shoebox full of tooling and eBay provided 3 servo motors / drivers. He also has a freq drive for it. Looks fairly tight, but he's grabbing a spindle mount for his indicator and has someone on reserve to scrape the ways if needed.

We've both been wanting machine tools for a few years and just finally running across good deals.

sounds good, look forward to hearing about the setup and conversion. If you have any ebike related gcode that will fit my sherline, I'd be grateful :D I'd like to start off with something known to work as I'm new to CAD as well and the less I do myself the fewer errors, lol

Thud said:
AHHhh, a lovely re-claimed bridgport.

skys the limit now, did you score any nice tooling with deal?

Looking foward to seeing what you build with it! :wink:

Let me know when your ready for the grand tour of the hillbilly work shop LOL. BYOB & skeeter dope!

Will do, I'm converting over a mini Oberon keg to transport my homebrew, so that will be following me.

jonathanm said:
sounds good, look forward to hearing about the setup and conversion. If you have any ebike related gcode that will fit my sherline, I'd be grateful :D I'd like to start off with something known to work as I'm new to CAD as well and the less I do myself the fewer errors, lol

Will do, no code as of yet though. Still figuring it out as I've never run a manual lathe yet, maybe a pendant would be helpful in playing around with the lathe before diving into the code and breaking things.

oh right you said sherline lathe, i missed that...I got the mill....thanks anyway...

I don't really get the point of a cnc lathe, why not just run it manually? Nice find on the mill, how did you get it into the trailer? Is it rude to ask how much? I'm just curious about east coast prices as people say there is more machines like this around in the east, but I checked craigslist in Maryland for a buddy and didn't see half as many items for sale as here in CA.

Other than trial and error, go take a machine class at your local community college, I just did last semester and learned alot. Also, better to beat on thier equipment then you know what not to do when you get home to your baby. :mrgreen:

Man.. that's fantastic!... I feel happy for you!

Curiously ... i KNOW how to run a mill... 8) but i dont have mill :(

you'll love working and making every of the pieces you need! :wink:

Doc

Mill was $600. A lot better than the average around here ($1000-1500+). The guy we picked it up from had a chain fall to load it with and a cherry picker was used to unload. A few pieces of blackpipe made rolling it around a bit easier, hey it worked on the pyramids.

I may take a community collage class. My brother is a die maker and my buddy has used one before, but even then a class may go over stuff they would assume someone knows.

Well the mill isn't up and running yet, but there is an excuse.

A Boxford lathe is getting upgraded with a freq drive and new controls.

5949018902_588f883b39_z.jpg

5948466973_6681e9144e_z.jpg

Back