What is this sound?

Some of you know, my Fardriver is still not how it should be.
Today, b4 the rain came back, I quickly rode down to the shop, but even only turning on the bike, the wheel with the hub motor made this noise, and still does, all the time, I checked it. Note that the wheel really is NOT turning. Sth inside the hub causes this sound, but why/what/why me? :cry:

Photo that the wheel isn't turning :)
1711736299484.png

Extracted sound bite: smaller file :) attached as zip as Amberwolf had recommended, thx again.
Can you listen to the 6(?) seconds and say if you know it?
Cheers

Attachments

• what-is-this-sound.zip
    320.9 KB · Views: 11
FOC controllers may, especially in sensorless mode, have to create signals in the phases to interact with the magnets so they can figure out where the rotor is, so they can operate. I've heard assorted types of noise from different ones, some quite loud, some not so much, but all annoying, and different from each other, so I couldn't tell you if your sound is that or not.

But if the sound comes from a completely motionless system, but has the controlelr powered on, it must come from signals the controller is sending.

Hmm, but the sound is new, intially Fardriver didn't cause this noise while the wheel isn't even moving.
Hopefully I am just over-concerned when I am thinking "hopefully it's not caused by humidity having gotten into the hub motor" (we have tons of rain here, and I have no garage, but there's a pvc cover over the bike)

When things dry up, I will have to take loads of measurements, numerous things don't work with the Fardriver as they worked with the stock controller (a King maybe).

When I ride it, the torque is lovely. But I fear for the noise!!?

Is it in sensorless mode now, vs sensored mode before? If it has a sensorless-fallback mode, then it'll do this automatically whenever it has an issue reading the sensors.

I use a Phaserunner v6 and v1, and have had this noise happen on the v6 intermittently; I suspect (but have not confirmed) that there's a hall sensor connection fault in my terrible temporary test splicing job in the motor/controller cable, so sometimes the v6 falls back to sensorless. I can hear the noise cut in and out, just sitting there doing nothing with the trike, whenever the problem does happen. (almost all the time it's totally silent sitting there, just the very occasional time I hear it; it's pretty loud vs the silence when it happens).

Back