Took my 13 year old son for a ride today.

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
As the title says, my 13 year old son and I went for a ride together today. He has ridden my E-bikes before, but only with the speed set way down at 10mph. Today I turned up the speed to 25mph and we went for two long rides (about 16 miles total). He is hooked! The EV grin was crazy.

I am so excited to do more riding with him. :mrgreen:

Do you guys take your kids riding?

Matt

I have yet to procreate, but when I first started riding MX a couple years back I was getting passed by 13 year olds flying thru the air at 50 MPH. Get your son a motocross bike and he will learn 2 wheel dynamics better than on any other platform. It will be essential training for his future addiction!!

I built this scooter for my son, (48vdc / Mac) he's having great time. Often when we get home, he says, "that was so much fun!" Oh, he's 10 years old. Later we'll work on a bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,096
This is what I use for my grandson...A length of all-thread runs through holes at the tips, the two sides are clamped together by two large "couplers" (long nuts?), and I covered the couplers with pieces of wood dowel that had been a closet hanger-rod. Tightening the two foot-rests will clamp the whole thing to the frame. It removes and attaches easily and pretty quickly.

I'll get a better pic of the finished unit when I get a day off...

ElectraToddlerSeat1.jpg

ElectraToddlerSeat2.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
file.php
Sorry for off topic, but what "triangle" bag is that"? Looks like a great fit for the cruiser frame.

It's the same size and shape as the Falcon, em3ev, and Luna triangle bags. In this pic, it's mounted upside-down, simply because I like the way it looks like that better. The zipper is now on the bottom, so I have to lay it on its side to access the inside components...

Hi Matt, I can't think why you waited so long! (Maybe you didn't have anything in your garage with less than 40Kw available??)

A couple of years ago I built an electric minibike for my 4 yr old grandson. It took him about 10 minutes to get the basic idea of controlling it, and the rest of the day to become quite proficient!
It was made from a 16" kid's BMX salvaged from the scrap metal dealer, a 24V industrial brushed motor on a worm gearbox, two 7Ah gel cells, a thumb throttle and 250W brushed e-bike controller, and a few scraps of stainless steel tube.
To get the seat height low enough and fit the motor / gearbox in I had to replace the original back wheel with a 12" one.
1.jpg

He could ride it for about an hour, covering around 7km on flat ground, and it was not too much hassle for me or his father to carry 2 more fully charged batteries in a backpack for the return journey. It had the torque to climb anything it could get traction on, even from a standstill, and a top speed lower than my maximum running speed (Very important!!). At these speeds, the lack of suspension wasn't too much of an issue, and it taught him good riding techniques on rough ground, climbing kerbs etc.
He rode it on bike trails, urban footpaths, beaches, mountain bike tracks, skate parks etc and we never got a negative comment. We were frequently stopped by people wanting to know more about the bike, and saying they thought it was great. Of course little kids are inherently cute and non-threatening, but the near silence must have been a major factor.
He is now riding a 16" Oset and his younger brother will be on the one I built very soon.

A word to the wise though Matt... when you build something for your 4 yr old grandson one day, triple 3220's might be a bit over the top!!!

Back