Trek DS 3, Trek DS 8.4, or Giant AC-2 for new BBSHD build? (Time sensitive)

BikeSpirit

1 µW
I am looking at purchasing a used bike this week. I have it narrowed down to three bikes. The plan is to ride out this year on the bike as is, and then upgrade either later this summer or next spring with a BBSHD. The bikes are:

1) 2017 DS 3 (asking $400, down to $300)
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../ds-3/p/17205/

2) 2013 DS 8.4 (asking $400)
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/6542118781.html
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...50&model=71672

3) 2003 Giant AC2 (asking $350 firm...bike is already sold but leaving it up here for reference)
https://www.google.com/search?q=2003+giant+ac2&pws=0&gl=us&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt4veD--XaAhUOBnwKHYrADV8Q_AUICygC&biw=1218&bih=576&dpr=1.56#imgrc=fSNypsztjYNP6M:

I listed the bikes in my choice order based on what is available in my price range and local market. My top pick is the 2017 DS 3 only because it is a steal of a price. It's last years model, with super low miles, and the guy just wants to dump it for fast cash of $300. He bought with receipt in hand for $800. It seems to have great online reviews. I can upgrade components as time goes on and even get a second wheel set for off road to onroad.

When I compare this to the DS 8.4 specs...they look so similiar of bikes from what I can tell that it would be silly for me to "not" get the 2017 at the price point.

The Giant is the only full suspension bike out of the three and the only descent one I can find in my price range. The only reason I have included it is because others have spoken about the value in having full suspension for the BBSHD or I have heard others that did not get full suspension how they wish they had. True? Thoughts on this?

I do about 60/40 riding, in late 40's, live on a very fixed income, and primary transportation also. I put on A LOT OF MILES a year, majority of them bike paths and road. As I continue to upgrade whatever bike I get, it will be tailored to be a primary transportation that I can go shopping with, get around town constantly, get off road and see the sites, and adapt to my needs as I age since this is my only transportation that I use year round.

With all that said, do you have any recommendations on which bike I should choose, or things to consider with these bikes and what I am looking to do? If it was up to you, and "YOU" had to pick one of these three bikes, which one would you choose and why?

Any other advice, comments, suggestions, etc... appreciated.

Thanks!

It looks like the Giant is already gone.

Full Suspension, you will be happier with one in the long run, Hard Tails are for young bodies,
and/or for people who ride on new smooth paved roads and bike paths,
In California that is no longer the case, even with more and very high gas taxes we are seeing our roads deteriorate each and every month. ( about 50 cents a gallon now just in tax )
what was a pleasurable ride on the roads I have ridden over the last 4 years have now turned into roads that I only want to ride a Full Suspension bike on now .

Why are you considering a BBSHD ?

Would a BBS02 or TSDZ02 or other lighter weight mid-drive motor work for you ?

I am wanting a mid-drive , only , because I live next to hills/mountains that are too steep and long for the low torque , high speed hub motor that I have . The Mac 6 t , which by the way goes up any hill 5% and under just fine.

You can find full full suspension bikes that are last years model or even a few years old that are being sold on clearance on the net or a small bike shop.

"Why are you considering a BBSHD ?"

Power for as I age. I climb a lot, sometimes pretty steep climbs. Sometimes pretty loaded bike. I live in the bottom of a valley also. Ever heard the expression, "I walked to school uphill both ways?" Well no matter what direction I go, I have to "always" go up and down to get "in" or "out." I would like a steady combination of power, distance, etc... I have read enough reviews that below the BBSHD for a mid system, and people don't quite have the max power they would like when climbing.

And yes the Giant AC-2 has been sold so it narrows my choice down to the two treks. As of the moment, I am heavily leaning on the Trek DS 3.

Back