Tres Terra Europa - Good buy???

64ragtop

100 W
Bike is a little less than two years old, with 5,600 commuting miles.

400 watt Heinzmann, Lithium Ion 24 volt battery, seller says battery is "tired", but still makes his commute.

So, is the motor nearing its' end of life? Is it worth $500.00 - how much would YOU pay for it?

ATB

BC

Five-thousand-six-hundred miles? Wow. That sounds like about $100.00 worth of bike and $400.00 of your time
and effort to totally disassemble the bike and rebuild it. Rims, tubes, spokes, headset, bottom bracket,
brake pads, shifter cables, brake cables, deraillers, cluster, axle bearings, motor, wires, etc. Don't forget to look for
cracks everywhere.

The battery might still have some useful life if you balance each and every cell in it, but I doubt it would be worth
the effort. Probably better buying a new battery. That way you know the history.

I'd say keep the battery and offer 200 for the motor and controller. The bike is worth what with 5k miles, 10 bucks? Seriously, I'd go $300 max if it was local buy for me. I'm not familiar with the tres terra, I suppose it's pricy to buy new?

Well, last year's list price was $1,400.00. Not having ridden bikes very often over the last MANY years, I had no idea that everything on them would crap out like gregben sugested! I just thought they would last forever, like the Schwinn workhorse that I threw newspapers from for four years while I was in high school. I think all I ever did to that bike was grease the bearings and clean and lube the chain. :roll:

Since high school was a long time ago, I like the step-through frame on the Europa. I'm thinking about a 36 volt battery replacement, maybe controller as well. But generally the bike seems very well thought out for a commuter/grocery getter. :)

Thanks for the answers, folks. I am hoping someone here has personal experience with a Europa, and could offer first hand, real world comments. I've got more projects than I can shake a stick at right now, but this popped up and caught my attention as something I could ride while working on the others. :mrgreen:

ATB

BC

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. What I meant was that with that many miles on it, the bike (electric or not) should be gone over
very carefully before putting it into use yourself. I have owned many bikes over the years and feel it is a good idea to
give them a thorough inspection/servicing every 1000 miles or so. The bike may be in top mechanical condition, but perhaps
not. You have to open things up to find out.

Back