Troubleshooting request: BBS02 with Luna 750c display powering off at full battery charge

airsquid

100 µW
Haven't narrowed down what part is the issue, so I will share all the details I can to receive helpful advice.

I have a BBS02 kit with a 52v shark pack battery and a Luna 750c display on my commuter bike. I was working on the build through September and finally got it into daily use in October. Haven't gone off-roading or even ridden in anything wetter than a heavy mist.

Yesterday morning was the first issue I had. It was day three of the three days I usually can ride on a single charge. On the way in to work it seemed like my battery life was dropping rather quickly for a mostly flat and partially downhill run, but the display estimates of how much battery is left have never impressed me, so I didn't think much of it, being day 3. At about 37% battery left, the whole thing powered off. No low battery warning. No official logo like when I manually power off. The display went black and the motor stopped, no skipping or hiccups like I felt when I went really low that once.

I stopped and tried to power it back on again. The 4 LEDs on the shark pack had the first two still lit up. The display came on long enough for me to put in my passcode and then went black again. I figured I had misjudged the battery, though it had given me low battery warnings before when I'd gone on long rides, and I'd only briefly once gone as low as 19% left. I biked the rest of the way under human power.

Before going home, after letting the bike sit in the office all day, I decided to unplug and replug the connector for my battery, just in case. The LED battery indicators on the battery itself had two of the four lights on still. The bike powered back on after I plugged and unplugged the connector! I rode most of the way home with just the lowest setting of PAS, and the display said I had in the 50-60% range left. Then, about 47% percent left or so, the same thing happened. Suddenly black. I tried turning it back on, and it came on just long enough to start putting in my passcode before turning black again.

Interesting detail - while the display screen was on when I tried to turn it back on (I was fussing with it while still biking to not lose momentum) I could feel the motor kick in and PAS helping me strongly and without any weirdness. The instant the screen went black again, no power at all to the motor.

Still thinking it was my low battery, I plugged it in last night. This morning, I got not even a mile into my commute on a fresh charge that was almost completely downhill, and the whole thing went black again! I could only get a split second flicker of life from asking the screen to turn on, and plugging and unplugging the battery didn't reset anything like it did last night. All four of the LED indicators on the battery were all strongly lit.

Thoughts? What does this sound like to you, and I'm happy to collect data or clarify anything you need more details on.

It sounds like it could be a few things,

First I would change the display to read voltage not %, and go by that. 58.8 is full 44 empty.

The cutting out could be the shark pack cradle connections, these could be better but you can tweak them a bit so they connect better. Also check other battery connections.

I have this same set up and really like it.

Back