TSDZ2 – XH18 Display anti-reflection and water-resistant Tuning

Anikea

10 mW
Basically I like the XH18 display very much and with the OSF from Mbrusa you actually get all the necessary information on the display. Provided you can read it and that's where I come to the main problem of this display. When the sun is shining, you can sometimes read nothing at all on the display. In addition, I had the upper display cover partially peeling off with the heat from the sun and the next time it rained heavily, the display was under water.

XH001.jpg

So I took the display apart once. Another plexiglas lens is located under the cover, which is attached with double-sided adhesive tape. Only then does the matte LCD come into play. This gives us a total of 5 reflection surfaces (4 mirrored and one matt).

XH002.jpg

At an optician's, I got a double-sided anti-reflective, curved lens without prescription correction. The material can be easily cut to size with a jigsaw. It is best to first saw it a little too big and then use sandpaper to get to the final dimensions.

XH003.jpg
XH004.jpg

Then you can polish the edges. I used a polishing machine for this. But it works the same way with fine pre-sanding and some plexiglas polishing.

XH005.jpg

Since I didn't like the silver of the display, I sanded off the silver paint.

XH006.jpg

Then I painted the display with black, matt 2K paint.

Since the display has no seal to the housing, a seal must be introduced here so that during the further steps a resin runs into the housing and then between the display layers. I used a strip of foam rubber for this. A lot of work has to be done here. Unfortunately, the display filled up the first time, it took several hours to remove the liquid resin on all display layers.

XH007.jpg

In addition to the seal, you apply a small joint of glue and harden it.

XH008.jpg
XH009.jpg

Then the display glass can be inserted and, slightly tilted, enough glue can be poured in from above so that all the air is pushed out of the housing.

XH010.jpg

Now straighten the display and press down until it is in the right position. The excess adhesive pushes out upwards and must be removed before you harden the resin with a UV lamp. Small amounts of adhesive residue can also be removed with alcohol afterwards.

XH011.jpg
XH013.jpg

As a result, we have much better readability and absolute water resistance.

XH012.jpg

Have you had a job offer from the manufacturer yet?

That flexi-self-adhesive covering has given me problems on similar devices, when it gets hot.

I'm not totally convinced your lighting conditions are similar enough (comparing the device shadows) to give a true indication of the improvement, but there is obviously an improvement for all that input.

Basically I like the XH18 display very much and with the OSF from Mbrusa you actually get all the necessary information on the display. Provided you can read it and that's where I come to the main problem of this display. When the sun is shining, you can sometimes read nothing at all on the display. In addition, I had the upper display cover partially peeling off with the heat from the sun and the next time it rained heavily, the display was under water.

View attachment 311083

So I took the display apart once. Another plexiglas lens is located under the cover, which is attached with double-sided adhesive tape. Only then does the matte LCD come into play. This gives us a total of 5 reflection surfaces (4 mirrored and one matt).

View attachment 311084

At an optician's, I got a double-sided anti-reflective, curved lens without prescription correction. The material can be easily cut to size with a jigsaw. It is best to first saw it a little too big and then use sandpaper to get to the final dimensions.

View attachment 311085
View attachment 311086

Then you can polish the edges. I used a polishing machine for this. But it works the same way with fine pre-sanding and some plexiglas polishing.

View attachment 311087

Since I didn't like the silver of the display, I sanded off the silver paint.

View attachment 311088

Then I painted the display with black, matt 2K paint.

Since the display has no seal to the housing, a seal must be introduced here so that during the further steps a resin runs into the housing and then between the display layers. I used a strip of foam rubber for this. A lot of work has to be done here. Unfortunately, the display filled up the first time, it took several hours to remove the liquid resin on all display layers.

View attachment 311089

In addition to the seal, you apply a small joint of glue and harden it.

View attachment 311090
View attachment 311091

Then the display glass can be inserted and, slightly tilted, enough glue can be poured in from above so that all the air is pushed out of the housing.

View attachment 311092

Now straighten the display and press down until it is in the right position. The excess adhesive pushes out upwards and must be removed before you harden the resin with a UV lamp. Small amounts of adhesive residue can also be removed with alcohol afterwards.

View attachment 311093
View attachment 311095

As a result, we have much better readability and absolute water resistance.

View attachment 311094
nice job!

does your display reset the odo by itself? Mine does so almost everytime I shut it off and it is very annoy in that I don't know how many kms I have travelled in total.

Back