Turnigy CA120-70 8600W Brushless Outrunner (100c eq)

Metallover said:
recumpence said:
So, I wonder why no-one has pointed out the obvious.........

There is no shaft protruding out the mount side. That is something we need for belt or chain drive. This is the problem with the Plettenberg Predator........ :?

Matt
That should be able to be changed. The shaft on normal outrunner is attached to the bell with a grub screw, and can be slid back and fourth on the bell. I don't see how it would be much different on the monster.. Even if it was held in place by something other than a grub screw, a little machining would probably fix the problem.

The very fact there's a circlip on the shaft means it's highly likely the shaft is an interference-free/low-interference fit. Easily replaceable by a longer one, or potentially just offset the existing one up and out of the mounting end. It's not like its needed to be protruding at the prop attachment end.
file.php

WoW! That's a BEAST! so 150KV? Sounds like a nice motor if a controller can be built to handle it! Or like Etard said, fit a clutch to it and run one of the 200A R/C controllers...

What we really need for our setups is a small "stall converter" like in a drag car's automatic transmission. THAT would be KILLER because it would allow the motor to spin up a bit before engagement and then, depending on the application, can be tailored to "hit" at any RPM you like. Basically for those that don't know its just a really nice viscous clutch. But somebody make one PLEASE! It would allow us all to just run the R/C controllers with a little cooling and never look back! It would even take the harshness out of the throttle!

If it's actually 4.8mOhm, which does seem entirely possible for a motor that size with that high of KV, I want to see it hooked up to ANY rc esc. :) No amount of cooling is going to do jack squat for any RC esc trying to run that motor. lol

And at 70v? LOL!!! Omg...

Ok ok, get this. On the first starting sequence for a sensorless controller to try to find rotor position, if the inductance is too low to delay the dI/dT for the PWM freq (very likely), then you're going to be looking at 14,000amps of phase current on that first cycle. :) Who thinks that's going to go over well? :)

we work with this manufactrurer...Me and hal are making a e-bike with this motor... We know about problems of this motor.....and we are adjusting some stuff on it..
Also, this motor was rated 140kv , they made 70 kv for us....i see hobby city now has 70kv...... we have hal mounts.. :) I ...Also mine was factory rated 60v200 amp = 15kw . thats peak for sure. We run it at 84 volts...
As i was lookin around internet i guess it is based on Hacker : http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushless-A200-8.aspx
i am not sure if we can beat hobbys price....but i will ask accountant to give it a go .. ..

Right.. no , stator has 24 poles ... i must check mags, i really forgot.. But , i will try to find a video of testing..... just a minute..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14427 ,sorry didnt see it... i tougt the 70 in the name is kv.... Okay so they are making 140 kv , we did 70 :)

Ooops! I was busy doodling and trying to count on that pic and didn't notice Marko answered they have 24 poles. :oops:

Thank you Marko!
-Luke

i ll check Luke ..okay? :) Anyway , just to let you know guys...Hobby price is really good.... If shipping is included , no way we can get them....with that price..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsmJ60x9G8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQZyhpVB20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsmJ60x9G8

Miles said:
liveforphysics said:
Ooops! I was busy doodling and trying to count on that pic and didn't notice Marko answered they have 24 poles.
Looks like 32 magnets? That would be perfect for Thud's ABC winding :D

I would never question your powers of observation Miles, but I've gotta ask, by what clever method were you able to sum the magnets, when I can barely sum the poles? :oops:

liveforphysics said:
I would never question your powers of observation Miles, but I've gotta ask, by what clever method were you able to sum the magnets, when I can barely sum the poles? :oops:
Well, it's only a guess. I just eyeballed the size of the magnets in relation to the size of the teeth. Anyway, I want it to be 32 :)

everything about controllers they use.. not just data... Their experiance with them and stability of them . Most important , how do they act in low rpm....

markobetti said:
everything about controllers they use.. not just data... Their experiance with them and stability of them . Most important , how do they act in low rpm....

Yes! +1

I'm guessing they just rely on the x^3 power vs rpm relationship of the prop they are driving to skate passed the low RPM zone, but if they've found some other clever solution, it would be great to know it. :)

** edited x^2 to x^3. Ooops!

I know some of the guys who were doing some of the early work on electric paramotors here, back when I worked at the Defence Academy. They weren't really having controller problems at all, largely for the same reason that RC controllers are OK at high powers on model aircraft, the cube law power vs rpm characteristic of a prop.

To put this into perspective for this 8.6kW at 10,500 rpm motor, here are the propeller power absorption figures for some intermediate rpm, assuming the propeller is sized to absorb the full 8.6kW at 10,500 rpm:

500 rpm = 0.9 watt (yes, this is right......)

1000 rpm = 7.4 watts

2000 rpm = 59.4 watts

4000 rpm = 475.5 watts

8000 rpm = 3,803.6 watts

10,000 rpm = 7,429 watts

10,500 rpm = 8,600 watts

If you ran this motor on a single speed bike, with a top speed of 60mph, then the RC type controller wouldn't expect to have to deliver more than about 7 to 10 watts at 6mph, which explains why these things really struggle when running motors at high torque and low rpm.

Jeremy

Miles said:
liveforphysics said:
Well, it's only a guess. I just eyeballed the size of the magnets in relation to the size of the teeth. Anyway, I want it to be 32 :)
Looking again, it may well be 28.......

Miles said:
Miles said:
liveforphysics said:
Looking again, it may well be 28.......

It is surprizingly difficult to count things like poles and teeth from an off-axis partially blocked photo.

Since you know the stator dimensions and outside dimensions, maybe a 3d model that could be rotated at the same angle and scaled to the same size as the photo, and transparently over layed. Try the various possible combos, and see which overlay is the best fit. But again... this is lots of work for something Marko can just count for us when he gets a minute. :)

Based on the input that it is a Hacker copy, I would guess its a 20 pole & uses the popular LRK windings....cost effective with less magnets & goofy windings....I did a take-off on what it would take to get my 32 poles:

32pole-1.jpg

We could do a lot of expirimenting on a 24 tooth stator. Twin driven DLRK,6-series LRK, a straight DLRK winding 8teeth per phase. & all number of pole counts to play with kv & tourque ratings. Once we get to 32poles, we have all the multiples of 3 phase windings to tune the motor to an aplication

I ordered a bunch of magnets last week to be able to play with pole counts on my turnigys.
Lets have a discusion on the benifits or pitfalls of a standard winding as opposed to the LRK that is prevailent in outrunners.

Are all Hub motors wound ABC?
With ABC winding we may be able to use multiple sensored controllers (with a shared 120deg. Hall sensors)
Thats just a guess by me untill I get corrected.

This is a cool tool for playig with pole count & looking a winding senario's:
http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/files/Winding_Scheme_Calculator.htm

My unit is coming on the slow boat so whoever gets theirs 1st please post the pole count. T

I really hope it's 32poles!

Back