Two phase BLDC vs Three phase BLDC

Teh Stork

1 kW
I've researched and have a working prototype of a controller witch drives a three phase motor with Field Oriented Controll. FOC allways keeps the magnetic field in the motor 90degrees compared to the magnets - to ensure that all force go to make spinning force and not waste any on linear. FOC reduces the torque ripple to virtually none and also reduces the decoupling needed, as the current ripple is reduced.

Recently I teached our newest group member about FOC, and he basically said; "Why not apply this to two phases instead of three?" And so my head started thinking, a lot. I've tried to compare the techonogies, and this is my conclusion:

A three phase motor requires six steps to complete one electical rotation. A two phase motor requires four steps. If you try to fit these controll schemes, square and six edge, into a circle - the six edge fits best and so gives the best "circle follower". Mix FOC into the picture and everything changes. With FOC you can look at the controll scheme as a circle - for both the three phase and two phase motor.

I tried thinking about inverters and realized that I could run the motor with two class D amplifiers, based on one half bridge each - with negative bias. Four fets instead of six could be used (ofc with comparably higher current ratings). Less gate drivers, less current sensors, less processing power to do the vector controll. Basically we could slash the controller cost by 20-30%, possibly more. The motor would still need three phase wires tho; Gnd, phase A and Phase B.

Two phase BLDC is very new to me and I would appreciate it if someone could point out the, not so to me, obvious flaw I've omitted.

You need the GND node in your proposal, which would be the mid-voltage of your battery. So you need a 3-terminal
battery with 2 BMS 's (one for the + voltage wrt gnd, one for the - voltage wrt gnd).
Second thing, the voltage across one winding (between phase A and gnd) can maximally only be half the battery voltage.

Both can be fixed by having a motor with 2 windings and 4 terminals, but then you need 4 full-bridges, one more than the standard 3 full bridges.

I once proposed something like this but discarded it 'cause there's no real advantage.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30764&p=444428#p444428

Yeah, that was what I figured too ;) I don't quite know what to think of the idea myself yet. The most tempting thing is actually the lessened strain on the uC having x-y as the two directions.

I actually think 3 phases is easier for the uC than 2 phases.

with 2 phases,
phase A = X * sin (wt)
phase B = X * cos (wt)
This has no interesting 'side effects'

3 phases however
phase A = X * sin (wt)
phase B = X * sin (wt + 120)
phase C = X * sin (wt + 240)
Which has the interesting property (and I use this a lot as a shortcut in my code) that
phase A + phase B + phase C = 0

Also with 3 phases, if you sample them at the same time, make the values absolute
and take the maximum, the value you get is between 87% and 100% of X. In my code
I use this as a quick and dirty way to instantly get an idea of the amplitude.

Well, after thinkering some more with the idea - I could use a three halfbridge (6 switch) inverter to controll the two windings. Gnd would be one phase, A and B would be the other nodes. A possible plus is that you can choose to halve the voltages seen by the windings - and such there are some conditions that could be improved vs a three phase system. I'll try to touch them when I write up more on it later.

I sketched out something yesterday on 6 fet 2-phase bldc controll - but my scanner refused to work, so i had to webcam-paint hack it :?

If I were to produce such a inverter, the gnd node would have more powerful gate drive and fets able to take higher currents. I've added my notes. Two states will series the windings - being able to produce higher voltage, regen would benefit from this - for example. Startup of low L low R motors could also be slightly better.

Anyhow, take a look at this sketch if interested - hope I haven't made any big mistakes :lol:
2phasebldc.jpg

Back