here's what im starting with:

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Thats a cheap motiv frame i picked up and the remnants of the bike after i tore it apart to use the frame, shifter(s? maybe just one gear set, idk yet), derailleur(s) and whatever else. the brakes are used from recycled cycles in the U-district (Seattle, WA) which is where i also picked up the tubes, tires, and brake pads but those were all new. the motors and controllers are the amped bikes motors/controllers from hightekbikes.com. terry was also nice enough to give me money back for the other throttle and brake levers. and he made the y cables i need to connect the battery and throttle. the cells are headway cells from headway headquarters just a bit eas of me in Issaquah, WA. Jim was VERY helpful and gave me an AMAZING deal on all this stuff because this is a student project. i got the charger, hardware, and the 2 BMS from him as well. he gave me the old signalab ones he was selling because they're hit or miss i guess. signalab's quality control has apparently gone in the garbage. so he cant sell those 2 so i'll be trying to make one of them work. i'll only be running one BMS, the other is a spare.

the controller says its rated at 36V but terry told me these would work w/ 48V. im gonna call him tomorrow to make sure though. also they say they have E-ABS, energy feedback and mute features. lol. im guessing mute means the brake levers that kill the power to the motor. does energy feedback mean regenerative braking? i wont be able to hook these up a to a battery until i make the pack and strip the bike frame, paint it, etc. if anyone has done mods to these to get them to do regen, or etc please point me that direction.

now the fun part. for my graduate project, i will be focusing on the design aspect of this bike. i attend the Art Institute of Seattle, Industrial Design Bachelor of Science program and am scheduled to graduate in june of next year, so i am starting my graduate project. this phase is just the research phase, so im looking into all sorts of things and since I'm designing this e-bike i came here to try to get all the electrical and mechanical knowledge i could. i have a limited budget so i cant really go all-out (believe it or not, i got everything in those pictures for about $1k), but i want to make a viable electric solution for urban (even sub-urban and rural) commuters. here's an early concept of what i want to do and what i want it to look like. the headway cells are in there mounted perpendicular to the downtube and will be shielded in clear shrink wrap, but visible from the outside (why hide the power??) the enclosure will most likely be fiberglass, maybe with a decorative outer layer (black dyed fiberglass, carbon fiber, carbon kevlar, etc. and as for everything else esthetically im not really sure. just an idea right now, i dont start the design phase of the project (i dont have to anyways) until january.

ebikeconcept5.jpg

what i intend to have on this bike:

25 mph (limited to)
50 miles on a charge (with generous pedaling, and rider/ terrain dependent)
sexy styling
ease of use
safe
E-ABS brakes/Regen
adjustable amp-limiter (to extend range)
individual motor shutoff switches + master switch (key?)
a lot of fun

Make sure you make the battery charging as 'turn-key' as possible since it's suppose to designed for the average person. I assume you will have a BMS setup and all that for the Headways. Key switch on/off would probably be a good idea too. Stuff like that - to keep people from being stupid and leaving it on. Think like a manufacturer, which you probably already are if you are a design student.

Industrial design.... maybe that's something I should look into. I love design, but I'm not crazy about the hard math and super technical parts of engineering.

yeah, i actually included all of that -- except what i plan on doing for charging -- into my post (but i admit, its lengthy to read)

charging will be simple (exterior mounted shielded xlr connector with matching connector on the charger), i have a bms, and i will be using a key master switch (at least in the design, i may not do this for the prototype) as well as a switch to turn off the front motor (to save power)

ID is awesome. not a whole lot of math required (although i use quite a bit of it because i think technically a lot)

the controllers say they have E-ABS, energy feedback and mute features.

im guessing mute is the part that kills power to the motor when you brake. does energy feedback mean regenerative braking? (and E-ABS along with it)

i know i already asked this in my OP but there's a lot of writing and this makes the question more visible :)

Back