Upgrading to a 60volt fat tire scooter to 72 volt and wiring kelly controller

Loydbrawn101@gmail.com said:
So one thing I can't find alot of info about is matching a speedometer/ battery lever indicator / voltmeter display. Do all 3 of those measurements come on 1 display or would I need multiple little displays? I saw battery level indicatator on throttles but the only throttle option on the kelly website only has the 3 speed switch,not battery level? I would atleast need a speedometer and battery level indicator at minimum for this scooter. How can I do this?

Check out this web page. As a disclaimer, ebikes.ca is also the company that is owned by the nice person who pays to keep endless sphere up and running. "Thank you Justin!" :bigthumb:

https://ebikes.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=+cycle+analyst+v3

:D :bolt:

In a perfect world I would be able to just switch out the controller and motor on the original scooter,that way I could use the original throttle, 3 speed,brakes,display and signal lights that are already on the scooter. The Hard part for me is wiring all the extras. I think I understand the battery,motor,and throttle wiring but all the different lights and stuff is where things get complicated for a newbie. Also if anyone can tell me how(in general) to wire a brake without using the regen function. I just wanna wire the brake light and make it so the motor cuts out when brake lever is pulled. How many wires would I have to connect for that to happen. I hear of brake high, brake low,signal, I've read a ton of stuff about brake wiring, And looked at the kelly kls7218N wiring diagram,but I think I'm lacking the basics. It's hard for me to understand wiring diagram fully at this point.if someone can explain just the basics of what each brake wire is for and What it needs to be matched with on a kelly controller I'd appreciate it.I've learned so much in the last week tho, that I think I will pick it up soon,I just need a little nudge in the right direction. Alot of the info I found was about trying to put regen on, I need the opposite, I need to know how to wire it if I program the regen brake function OFF

Thanyou for answering my question,if u don't mind I have another. I'm a newbie at all this but I'm learning quickly, il be upgrading a 60 volt fat tire scooter to 72 volt. I'm buying a 72 volt hubmotor battery and controller. Can I set up a jig of some sort to put the wheel in,in order to get all the wiring between the throttle,battery,controler,and motor hooked up. Then can I program it just enough to get it working and spinning,then unhook everything and put it in its final place on the actual scooter? Will I have to reprogram the controller when I connect it back up to everything? In other words,does the controller lose its programming when it is unhooked from the system? It would be nice if I could do that because it will prob take a little while to figure all the wires out and the programming. I would Hate to have no scooter for that whole time. 60 volts is better than no volts lol. Plus I'd like to take my time with it,I don't wanna rush and melt something,especially not the 1000$ battery. Any info would be appreciated

E-bike brake levers are usually not very durable, they always seem to go bad at the tensioning barrels. However I have never had a e-brake switch go bad. How they work is that when the brake is not engaged, the lever keeps keeps the little spring loaded connector separated. When the lever is pulled, it gives room for the spring to connect the contacts thereby giving a complete circuit.

Page 15 on your manual shows that you should connect the brake lever between pin 11 and 25. (one break lever wire to pin 11 and the other to pin 25)

7218n brake wiring.JPG

:D :bolt:

Please make your own thread for these questions because its not related to QS138.

Ofc will the settings be saved, otherwise would you need to program the controller everytime you dissconnect the battery and thats not resanable is it?

I used a paddock stand with the hub motor axle clamped to the swing arm supports to do the initial testing of my motor, controller battery setup. It was OK for low speed / low RPM testing but be careful with putting too much speed through the motor as mine tried to pull itself off the clamps. But it was certainly fine for doing the angle identification test that the Kelly controller needs to first do.

As for the controller settings it will retain the settings when the power is off.

So I'm converting a fat tire scooter from 60 volt to 72 volt,but the biggest qs motor is an inch or 2 short for the dropout. I think qs 12000w said 150 dropout and 275 total axle length and my scooter is 255 dropout and 277 total axle length. So there about the same length but the dropout is very diff. I want to put that qs motor on the scooter. What's the best wat to lengthen the axle? Replace the axle with a bigger one( get ferro fluid while it's open),or add extender bolts? Any ideas? I know il have to get disc brake extended out a bit to reach the frame where the brake is. Is that possible? Thanks again

Thanks and where does the brake light get connected,I see that little doorway looking thing on the wiring diagram,what does that mean? Where would the rear brake light go to?

I was thinking about getting a qs273 8 or 12000w 72 volt. Instead of the fat tire. I will still have a 18 inch tire so it will match the front, but it will be a little thinner. I'm looking for power. The axles are almost the same length ,qs is 275mm and fat tire hub and frame are 277. But i still think the dropout is different even though there the same total length. That and getting the disc brake to line up are going to be the interesting things about this. But is it possible? Expanding dropout if axle the same length? And extending disc brake mount over a couple mm so it reaches the brake pads?

I'm going with the 8000w 273,not the 12000,too much for the 12000. I looked at some of the specs and it looks like it's actually the qs273 that has a 277mm axle and the existing hub on the scooter has a 272mm axle. But the dropouts are wider on the existing wheel. I think this will be a little challenging but Il still try,see what happens

Back