UPP Battery Question

EVOXY6768

100 mW
This is going to be my first battery purchase for my motor cycle conversion. I have been in contact with upp enquiring about there 20s 12p 2160wh 72v 30ah battery. They have given me 2 options Using there Chinese cells or using Samsung cells which will be a higher price. My question is has anyone bought battery's through them using there Chinese cells and are they any good, I have read through here that they are pretty good and reliable company to deal with. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

This is the controller.

Votol Controller EM-100
Type: Sine Wave Controller, Sinusoidal Controller.
Voltage: 48V-72V (max. 90V).
Battery Current: 100A (maximum).
Phase Current: 330A (maximum).
Flux Weakening Ratio: 200%.
Size: 218 x 124 x 62mm.
Weight: 1.650kg

Main Funtion
3-Speed.
Boost/Sport.
Reverse.
High Brake.
Re-Generating.
Flux Weakening, increase the speed of motor.

EM-100 Controller is suitable for 2000W, 3000W DC Brushless Hub Motor and Mid Drive Motor.

Paired with this motor QS 2000W mid drive

Motor Diameter 143mm
Motor Length 211mm
Wheel Material Aluminum
Axle Single (Customized)
Number of Motor Phase 3
Cross Section of Cable 8 Square Millimeter
Rated Power 2000W
Max. Power 4630W (Peak 5760W)
Rated Voltage 72V
Continuous Current 50A
Max. Current 65A (80A in 5 seconds)
Max. Torque 49.60N.m
Max. Efficiency 85-91.3%
Rotating 2700-5058rpm
Waterproof Grade IP54
Max. Working Termperature70 ℃ (peak 120℃ in 5 - 10 second)
Color Black
Weight 8.80kgs

I would only use a quality cell that can do 15amp per cell. Many in that class . Now you need a battery maker that has figure it out proper series busbars to handle the load. Not upp.
Maybe a battery out of an automotive grade battery as Leaf ect.
Always overate your battery as the heart of your system. Who wants a battery that last 6 months.

I would only use a quality cell that can do 15amp per cell. Many in that class . Now you need a battery maker that has figure it out proper series busbars to handle the load. Not upp.
Always overate your battery as the heart of your system. Who wants a battery that last 6 months.
[/quote]

999zip999 said:
[/quote]

Thank you. I thought this could be the hardest part of the build. I am not sure where to look do you know of a company or builder that would be able to meet the requirements ( must be able to post overseas ) I have thought about leaf batt but dont think will fit in my frame with it being mid mount.
Cheers

Upp has different grades of batteries different grades of BMS has some of their BMS just have high and low cut off without cell balancing before this company you must ask and know what to get.

I've seen a few of their generic packs, 48V-52V, that gave decent service. But not 72V packs,
UPP uses cheap BMS and a buyer should spec the BMS wanted and the features needed.
Next UPP never uses pure nickel connections. Nickel coated steel is typical. I'd buy another 36V-52V pack from them but only lower power stuff.

UPP and Luna BMS

71E3E766-9F37-4157-A894-51D3567683DC_1_105_c.jpeg

999zip999 said:
Upp has different grades of batteries different grades of BMS has some of their BMS just have high and low cut off without cell balancing before this company you must ask and know what to get.
THIS!!

999zip999 said:
Can we see a pic or the dimensions of your frame and or battery box.

This is what I am planning for the size 260mm long x 210mm wide x 150mm deep

Attachments

• SAM_2336.JPG
    SAM_2336.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 699
  • SAM_2337.JPG
    SAM_2337.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 699
999zip999 said:
1,500 to 2,000 watts I would trust some upp packs.
Not for motorcycle.

Eggs Ackley!

I was really excited about UPP but after looking behind the curtain I see what's going on just like Dorothy in The wizard of Oz. What's really behind the curtain.

999zip999 said:
I was really excited about UPP but after looking behind the curtain I see what's going on just like Dorothy in The wizard of Oz. What's really behind the curtain.

They do offer Panasonic cell packed version for the D-034 pack( which I was looking at ) which they said cost more. Waiting for a reply on the amp rating of the cell and a price.

After looking into this a bit more I have decided to flag the UPP battery. Have found a couple of builders here in NZ. First one has come back to me with these options. Would appreciate what you guys think. Cheers

Your max is 80A for a short term and 65A, so you need a battery which is rated 130A max. For the cells I am using not much a problem. It will be able to go much higher.

To build with Samsung 25S (2500 mAh) you need 20S12P This makes 240 cells, weight will be about 12Kg.

Building with Samsung 40T (4000 mAh) cells you need a 20S7P (28Ah) or 20S8P(32Ah) making it 140 or 160 cells. These are higher output cells and slightly bigger. Total weight about 10kg for the 28Ah and close to 12kg for 32Ah

I can also build in Samsung 30T (3000 mAh) it is the lighter brother of the 40T but you need 10P and that makes it 13.8Kg. This pack would never heat up (can handle 3.5 times the current what you need) , but it is a bit larger and heavier.

For you application you need a charger: 72V 5Ah

BMS is constant 130A peak 250A. And yes it is an active BMS which will also balance you cells when charging.

Back