US ebike Tour 6000 miles 2014 and Documentary feedback

tomcortijo said:
I bought them directly from China for $400 a pop. That's why i bought 2. It is making lots of noise but still holding up. about 1600 miles on it.

Yea I've heard about a 2000 mile lifespans on those gears. Most people get there in a year or so. You did it in a few weeks :wink:
That noise is probably a couple plastic teeth that have already come off. It's a runaway condition so it will only get worse. Since you have a support van and spare parts though, you might as well run it into the ground. I'd be interested to hear how much longer it holds up. The BBS02 is so new that not that many people have used it until failure. Your expedited lifecycle testing will be interesting.

Very smart that you brought a second motor. Though at this rate, you'll likely need a third or a fourth by the end of the 6,000 miles. Maybe consider switching to a hub motor at some point down the road?

To Tom,

Good luck on your travels!

Jonathan in Hiram said:
Cute kids, quite the adventure watching dad ride across country. Good luck on your trip and good luck with bike shops wanting to work on your ebike, and even better luck on them not screwing something in your electrical system up in the process.

I couldn't access your Garmin page, it wanted a login and password and I'm not a member.

At least he as a mid-drive. Most of the bike stays stock, so they can work on wheels if necessary.

Thank you Mlt and Cal3thousand!

I will run it to the ground. It still pulls, but i can feel the grind when pedaling!. I am in Iowa now. I am hoping it doesn't blow up for another 1200 miles. haha.

I did get a mid drive because my first e-bike (2009) was a back wheel hub and I had 2 major problems. A) Brake adjustment was always a pain and I could never have enough brake power (disc brakes were not available for hub motors back then) and every flat tire was a nightmare. Just taking the tire out would take hours (and then pitting it back in and centering to get the brakes to work was mission impossible).

I Emailed bafang's customer service today and told them a) What's happening to my motor, b) What I am doing. c) asked them if they wanted to help me. I am curious to see if they even reply.

If the motor was reliable (i've seen the bosch and they look pretty sweet), I would continue to ride mid-drives for years, I love how they work with the gears and how the weight stays low and in the middle!

It's gotten cold (35 today and couldn't find an affordable motel to crash, so we're camping) and my batteries' performance got really crappy. I am hoping i get better days because if not I am not going to get very far or I am going to have to change my route and start going south!!

Hey, the South is about as nice as it ever gets this time of year, it really just started cooling off here in Atlanta about a week or two ago and this morning it's about 60 degrees F, the coldest one we've had since about April or so.

Keep your batteries in the warm (particularly when charging) and put them on the bike only when getting ready to use them, then wrap them in some insulation, something like a foam camping pad cut up to fit would work, even bubble wrap would be better than nothing.

Fair skies and tailwinds to you..

Jonathan in Hiram said:
Hey, the South is about as nice as it ever gets this time of year, it really just started cooling off here in Atlanta about a week or two ago and this morning it's about 60 degrees F, the coldest one we've had since about April or so.

Keep your batteries in the warm (particularly when charging) and put them on the bike only when getting ready to use them, then wrap them in some insulation, something like a foam camping pad cut up to fit would work, even bubble wrap would be better than nothing.

Fair skies and tailwinds to you..

Hey Jonathan. Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try to insulate the batteries. We are also considering changing route. Maybe going close to NY and then south (skipping Maine and the northern tip).

The logistics of the cold are tough with the bike and with the kids!!!

Heading to Cascade Iowa today!

Maine is going to be... Interesting.... to say the least, if you don't get there soon. I rode for years in Pittsburgh winters. it's doable, but both mind and body numbing. touring in that weather would be a torture. even my 4 mile commute in sleet and snow was tortuous. full face helmet and thick scarf keeps the face from icing over, at least.

Ok. My bafang died a horrible dead. It just stopped working and gave me error 30 10 miles from Napoleon Ohio. Switching it tonight and I'll open it when I get to a place where I can stop for a few days can anybody recommend a more reliable mod-drive kit motor?

mlt34 said:
Maine is going to be... Interesting.... to say the least, if you don't get there soon. I rode for years in Pittsburgh winters. it's doable, but both mind and body numbing. touring in that weather would be a torture. even my 4 mile commute in sleet and snow was tortuous. full face helmet and thick scarf keeps the face from icing over, at least.

Hopefully I'll hit Niagara falls by the end of this week, and I'll be heading south in very early november!! (now i need to find a replacement motor to have a spare).

Thank you!

Massachusetts has some marvellous biking trails, including its première Mass Central Rail Trail. Some sections completed, some underway. Clinton is where the MCRT connects with the East Coast Greenway. My primo 2-acres in Clinton is a mere half mile from that intersect. Not too far from Worcester where I currently reside.
tomcortijo.png
You're welcome to camp out in Clinton. Also to lay-over in Worcester at my pad. Take a sauna at the local YMCA as my guest. Enjoy a home cooked meal. And would love to join you for a part of your journey southward towards Connecticut & New York. Let me know: PM arkmundi.

Without going custom, there really aren't any more reliable mid drive kits. The BBS02 has kind of been the somewhat answer to many middrive lover's dreams. There's the GNG and cyclone kits, but neither of them are great solutions and each has their weaknesses. I believe you can order replacement gears for the BBS02 already, which is likely what failed on you.

I'd just get a cheap hubmotor, even a HillTopper kit from clean repulblic would be great because it's small and easy to install. It would be quite a ride at 48V because it's geared for 24V.

How many miles have you done so far? One hill topper front hub motor might get you the rest of the way. It'd definitely get you there when combined with your second BBS02 motor.

mlt34 said:
Without going custom, there really aren't any more reliable mid drive kits. The BBS02 has kind of been the somewhat answer to many middrive lover's dreams. There's the GNG and cyclone kits, but neither of them are great solutions and each has their weaknesses. I believe you can order replacement gears for the BBS02 already, which is likely what failed on you.

I'd just get a cheap hubmotor, even a HillTopper kit from clean repulblic would be great because it's small and easy to install. It would be quite a ride at 48V because it's geared for 24V.

How many miles have you done so far? One hill topper front hub motor might get you the rest of the way. It'd definitely get you there when combined with your second BBS02 motor.

It wasn't that bad this time. The negative cable burnt at got cut (right at the battery holding socket). The Bbs02 is making a
Lot of noise but it's still going!! If it holds for another 500 miles I'll trust that I can finish my trip woth the one. Am using ad the spare I carry!
I just love the idea of the mid drive even though they fail more cause they have more moving parts!!

if your hub motor has a waterproof disconnect about a foot outside of the axle, then changing a flat is a 15min job at the most. There should be no problems with aligning the wheel. It should drop in and sit correctly if your ebike is set up right. Hub motors can be efficient on hills if you regulate throttle while watching wattage and input pedaling right. There's no question I would use a hub for any trip over 100miles. A mid drive as a 2nd drive would be good for steep hills

I hope your next motor lasts longer. Are sure its not the freewheel in the middrive?

arkmundi said:
Massachusetts has some marvellous biking trails, including its première Mass Central Rail Trail. Some sections completed, some underway. Clinton is where the MCRT connects with the East Coast Greenway. My primo 2-acres in Clinton is a mere half mile from that intersect. Not too far from Worcester where I currently reside.

You're welcome to camp out in Clinton. Also to lay-over in Worcester at my pad. Take a sauna at the local YMCA as my guest. Enjoy a home cooked meal. And would love to join you for a part of your journey southward towards Connecticut & New York. Let me know: PM arkmundi.

Thank you so, so much!!! I'll PM you when I am getting close to Worcester (maybe a couple of weeks). Camping this last week has been tough. We're mostly staying at motels cause of the rain. I really need to dry my gear up after riding in the rain!!

veloman said:
if your hub motor has a waterproof disconnect about a foot outside of the axle, then changing a flat is a 15min job at the most. There should be no problems with aligning the wheel. It should drop in and sit correctly if your ebike is set up right. Hub motors can be efficient on hills if you regulate throttle while watching wattage and input pedaling right. There's no question I would use a hub for any trip over 100miles. A mid drive as a 2nd drive would be good for steep hills

I hope your next motor lasts longer. Are sure its not the freewheel in the middrive?

Thanks a lot for the input. It was actually a burnt connecting cable at the battery cradle (i fixed it already) The motor went back to sounding rough but working. What is the freewheel? The BBS02 is now making noise but the throttle works alright and I can pedal on top of it. The pedal assist it not working very well, but i can live with it!. 2400 miles and counting.

I hope to get to Lake Erie's coast tonight (Sandusky, OH). I hope won't hit as much rain as i did yesterday!

tomcortijo said:
Thank you so, so much!!! I'll PM you when I am getting close to Worcester (maybe a couple of weeks). Camping this last week has been tough. We're mostly staying at motels cause of the rain. I really need to dry my gear up after riding in the rain!!
I've got a great eBike back-porch shop with tools you're welcome to use. If you need parts, you can send them to me, so they're here while you are. PM me for the address.

I Suck at uploading pictures/videos, but here is an article (with video) that a Newspaper in Ohio published about our ride.

Link to the video
http://www.tout.com/embed/touts/9r6z06

Link to the article
http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20141022/crossing-the-country-by-electric-bike-family-stops-in-mentor

I am changing tires and testing a pair of Continental touring ones tomorrow (700c x 45), to see if my riding gets more efficient!

So it was the battery cable that was causing your problems? Are you still on your original BBS02 that you started your trip with?

Keep the miles coming, great job!

Thank you guys so much.

Yes, my wife is an angel. She scouts the places to stay and waits for me every afternoon with a hot coffee to be able to put up with this cold.

I am on my way to the Boston area today, but here is our blog post and pics from our days in North Dakota (we're a few weeks behind with the blog)

http://www.camperclan.com/week-four-crossing-north-dakota-on-electric-bicycle/

Let's see if I can do some pictures, too.

deer_crossing_xing_bicycle_ebike_camperclan.jpg

Me and the handsome deer.

Highway13_CircleMontana_CamperClan_ebike.jpg

Speeding on the I94, not

glaciernationalpark_electricbicycletour_family.jpg

With the family at Glaciar National Park

We also got some love from a blogger that gives some details about the ride and electric bikes.
http://thelongshotist.com/2014/10/31/week-in-geek-10-31-14/

Thank you!

Tomas: We're all cheering you on. Keep the updates coming man, keep 'em coming.

You have my total respect for riding in the US Northeast this time of year. I hope you will post what it has been like and how you deal with the weather: what you wear every day and what you do to stay dry, warm and comfortable.

Please: tell us about your Bafang mid-drive: is it still the original and was the main problem the battery connection? You have us on the edge of our seats wanting to know, man! :p :p :p

mlt34 said:
So it was the battery cable that was causing your problems? Are you still on your original BBS02 that you started your trip with?

Keep the miles coming, great job!

Hey. My motor finaly gave up around 2,200 miles. The motor itself kept turning, but i asume some of the gears inside wore off. I didn't really open it to se what happened. I did contact Bafang (and told them the story) and to my surprise, they sent me a replacement motor from the factory to have as a backup and finish my journey for free.

I am runing my second motor and it's working pretty well. After using them for a while I can see why these motors have a shorter live than a hub motor. It's very easy to have the motor in the wrong gear and forcing the internal gears more than you should. I guess the secret is to try to keep the revs always up and not asking them for too much torque at high speeds.

Back