Vector typhoon 19 inch wheel and tire help

howard85may

10 mW
Hi guys,

I am a new member here. I have looked around this site but havent found the info i am looking for. I am trying to find info on rim an tyre sizes, preferrably 19 inch, that will fit the vector typhoon with a gp style tyre. I am going for the look of the ebike in the images. If anyone has any info that would be helpful, i would really appreciate it. This is my first ebike build and have found this forum very resourceful, you guys are great.

Image not showing up, search Google for super vector the bike is red and there is also a black version on ebay from ebike1.com. My apologies i do not know how to add photos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/8kihtg/super_vector_dual_voltage_67v_32ah_and_134v_16ah/ link to the image.

Wheel:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32820704658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.35274c4d8OS3Li

Tyre 80/100 x 19 Bridgestone TRAIL WING TW201

Jonno

Jonno said:
Wheel:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32820704658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.35274c4d8OS3Li

Jonno

Thanks Jonno! But looking at it closer it seems that bike is running a duro tire?

howard85may said:
Jonno said:
Wheel:

Jonno

Thanks Jonno! But looking at it closer it seems that bike is running a duro tire?

I have figured it out after looking through and comparing numerous photos. The tire is duro hf918 in 90/90-18 on front and 90-110/80-90- 18 on the rear.

The wheel that you link to on Aliexpress is a bicycle rim, and the one on the Typhoon is a motorcycle rim. The tires are motorcycle standard, and will not fit the Sun MTX39 rim that you linked. So, if you want those tires on your bike, you also need the motorcycle rims to match.

If you click on the link and look under options they have a 19 inch motorcycle wheel that you can choose.

howard85may said:
If you click on the link and look under options they have a 19 inch motorcycle wheel that you can choose.

Correct, that's the one I've got :thumb:

Sorry, I had checked the pic only. I went back to see and found it.
Yet, Chinese motorcycle wheel, and expansive shipping.
You could lace one locally with an Excel alloy MX rim or better a Trial rim, even a used one from ebay.

MadRhino said:
Sorry, I had checked the pic only. I went back to see and found it.
Yet, Chinese motorcycle wheel, and expansive shipping.
You could lace one locally with an Excel alloy MX rim or better a Trial rim, even a used one from ebay.

I have zero experience with lacing. Where would one source custom spokes? How would you calculate length?

Online spoke calculators are many. Rims and spokes are available on ebay and many online stores, even locally in any big cities. Yet I suggest that you give it to lace at a local wheelbuilder, that can be found at bike or motorcycle shops in populated areas. It will cost you less than wheel shipping from China.

I have had no luck, in a city of 1.3M people to find a motocycle shop that laces rims let alone a mc shop that has custom length spokes, or even knows of a shop in the city that does that. Admittedly, I called around to 4 shops, 2 big shops, 2 small including one with the name Custom in its name. No dice.

Bicycle stores maybe different for lacing and truing, but still 1.3M city, only found one store that cuts/reams spokes, and its an ebike store. One LBS has a chain of 4 stores, no dice.

I dont mind waiting for Justin to send me some spokes, if I require 13 or 14 gauge brand name spokes.

Rims are easy, ebay and local motorcycle shops, unless you want less then 1.40 wide. TreatlandTV website is a good source for that, expensice s/h to outside USA.

Surprising that you can’t find a wheelbuilder in the rockies, where so many DH and Freeride amateurs are destroying wheels. I know you’d find some in Calgary that’s what, 75 miles? ...and Whistler for sure, the very best.

MadRhino said:
Surprising that you can’t find a wheelbuilder in the rockies, where so many DH and Freeride amateurs are destroying wheels.

Bicycle wheels.
In 2013 I was trying to avoid the whole D.I.Y. wheel building routine for my first project, and went to my fav local bike shop in Toronto, 5 mln. people. Staff there was always super helpful before.
"- Ah, excuse me sir, I'm gonna need you to lace this front wheel bicycle hub into 16" moto rim, also I'm gonna need you to lace this Cromotor into the same 16" moto rim. 1 cross. 12 Ga spokes."
Guy looked at me like I was asking him to split the atom, and said no.
Now I had 2 options. Either suck it up, and let someone else build my wheels for me, or build it from scratch.
First option, even now, is super expensive. You have to ship heavy motor to your wheel builder, who after finishing your wheels, will ship it back to you, even more heavy and bigger, since its now laced into the rim.
Second, read ES, order spokes using many online calculators, this was my fav https://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator, and then practice. Better to do it during winter time. Nothing to do anyway.

LSBW said:
MadRhino said:
Surprising that you can’t find a wheelbuilder in the rockies, where so many DH and Freeride amateurs are destroying wheels.

Bicycle wheels.
In 2013 I was trying to avoid the whole D.I.Y. wheel building routine for my first project, and went to my fav local bike shop in Toronto, 5 mln. people. Staff there...

Yep. Many bike shops won’t touch any special jobs. But, in populated areas you can find some custom wheel builders. I know, because here I am one who does it, and I am not alone. I take local jobs and always try to teach newbs how to true and maintain their own wheels. This started because I couldn’t find a custom wheel builder 30 years ago, so I had to build my own, but soon after I got to know all of them wheel builders in my area.

The problem is that most custom wheel builders are not advertising, and usually not doing it as their main job. So, those trying to find one must be good at searching contacts.

I believe every ebike builder should learn to lace their own wheels, but I know most of them need some help at first. Watching someone doing it does save a lot of try and error. Today, many can learn by watching online vids.

MadRhino said:
This started because I couldn’t find a custom wheel builder 30 years ago, so I had to build my own, but soon after I got to know all of them wheel builders in my area.

The problem is that most custom wheel builders are not advertising, and usually not doing it as their main job. So, those trying to find one must be good at searching contacts.

I believe every ebike builder should learn to lace their own wheels, but I know most of them need some help at first. Watching someone doing it does save a lot of try and error. Today, many can learn by watching online vids.

Wow, 30 years, eh?

I didnt have anyone to teach me, but thanks to the magic of the internet, now most of the info is available online.
You just need to take your time to find it, read it, or watch it.

My front 16" wheel for project #1 was somewhat easy to do, since there's more space between hub and rim:

HjMjKLs.jpg

But rear one, oh boy.
Giant heavy motor, laced into 16" rim, plus I was determined to do 1 cross lace.

KBjd6Kl.jpg

I remember putting it together, and then taking apart at least 3 times, thinking I've ordered spokes of wrong size, or generally just screw it up.
But in the end, time spent on building these, was good experience to have, and good skill.
4 years later, and 12,000 km of city riding, not even single problem with my wheels or tires.
Later, when I started making project #2, with 18" moto wheels, things were a lot easier.
P.S. I still remember how my older neighbor was excited every time he saw me riding project #1.
He didn't care about electric part, he really liked my D.I.Y. wheels.
Later I found out he is experienced bicycle mechanic :)

The most spectacular that I have seen, was a Vietnamese guy who was lacing 30 wheels a day; wheels of all sizes that he was lacing various, some complicated and creative lacing patterns, because he was doing them all using the same only spoke length that he had in his shop. :shock:

Back