wallmart fatty

Hi Guys! Wow, we're all going FAT here. Just got mine and was thinking of mounting a rear drive Bafang BPM2 to the front. The Beast fork dropout spacing is 130mm and the rear drive Bafang is in the 135-137mm range. The Beast front axle measures 9.35mm. Anyone have a measurement for the BPM2 axle diameter? The dropouts look like they have enough meat to grind out a bit as needed.

I'm looking for a low-cost conversion. BMSbattery has a pretty fair price on the kit (don't know about shipping yet). My plan is to get the kit and proper spokes to lace the rear drive BPM2 to the front rim, making the beast a low speed/high torque two wheel drive, human to the rear and gear reduction drive to the front. Initially I intend to make-do with the coaster brake while the disc brake on the front can be adapted at a later date.

So what do you guys think? I see some familiar and VERY knowledgeable names on this thread. I'd really appreciate your feedback, guys. Thanks and bike on!

Attachments

• 100_4880.jpg
    100_4880.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 562
duncanjerry said:
Here's a wallfatty I recently slapped together for a friend.
Hey duncanjerry. Nice build. Which Bafang is that and what length spokes and spoke pattern did you use? thanks!

Cyclebutt said:
Hi Guys! Wow, we're all going FAT here. Just got mine and was thinking of mounting a rear drive Bafang BPM2 to the front. The Beast fork dropout spacing is 130mm and the rear drive Bafang is in the 135-137mm range. The Beast front axle measures 9.35mm. Anyone have a measurement for the BPM2 axle diameter? The dropouts look like they have enough meat to grind out a bit as needed.

I'm looking for a low-cost conversion. BMSbattery has a pretty fair price on the kit (don't know about shipping yet). My plan is to get the kit and proper spokes to lace the rear drive BPM2 to the front rim, making the beast a low speed/high torque two wheel drive, human to the rear and gear reduction drive to the front. Initially I intend to make-do with the coaster brake while the disc brake on the front can be adapted at a later date.

So what do you guys think? I see some familiar and VERY knowledgeable names on this thread. I'd really appreciate your feedback, guys. Thanks and bike on!

A bpm fits a 10mm dropout, but a bpm on walbike forks?

friendly1uk said:
A bpm fits a 10mm dropout, but a bpm on walbike forks?

Yeah, I know, the fork is REALLY beefy though. The fork dropouts are 130mm wide and that rear drive BPM is 137mm. Also, the rear drops are 160mm wide! That's why I'm curious about that other BPM mounted on the rear. Did he use extra spacers, bend the frame A LOT, or what? I never have liked the idea of a front wheel drive on a two wheeled bike but with that big fat tire, it could work. Besides, I'm going for relatively low speed with high torque.

On the other hand, the rear derailleur and disc brake mounts look much simpler than I had previously thought. Either way, I need the SAME spoke length to lace it together. Found a calculator that allows for rim staggering but haven't run the numbers yet. Still need to go back to Sheldon Brown to brush up on the terminology first. I've only built one wheel (had an instructor) and re-laced one 1000w rear DD, nowhere near the experience these guys have.

Spokes are the only thing holding me up from ordering right now. The beast rim seems to have a ERD of 549mm. Did I measure that right? Anybody?

Bling bling wall fatty w front and rear hydraulic brakes. Powder coated.

New wallmart mongoose dolomite mock up.

Attachments

• 13957854145061.jpg
    13957854145061.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,255
One more. It's hard to see in the pic but very pretty black w gold flake powder coat.

Attachments

• 13957856403090.jpg
    13957856403090.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,265
How are all these projects coming along? Please share your experiences with this bike especially with higher speeds, and going over curbs, stairs, etc! Thanks for sharing, guys!

Release the mothballs!

Attachments

• 100_5347.jpg
    100_5347.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 860
  • 100_5354.jpg
    100_5354.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 778
Back