wallmart fatty

Is there no wallmart in canada?
Someone asked about the tires. They are wearing very well. I've got around 1000miles with no signs of wear. Under 10 psi is great off road but over steers on road. 20 psi handles great on road but very bumpy.

bee said:
Walmart in Canada doesn't carry these bikes.

Will they ship-to-store for you?

Just ordered one of these to build and sell hopefully. Might become a demo if I like it enough. Gonna do a simple MAC converted cross break style running around 1500 to 2000 watts. Hopefully it will come together quickly!

bee said:
cal3thousand said:
bee said:
Walmart in Canada doesn't carry these bikes.

Will they ship-to-store for you?
No because they don't have them in all of Canada, Walmart USA only ships within the US.

Lucky you don't have them in Canada actually. Small business probably exists still :|

Just ordered one of these to build and sell hopefully. Might become a demo if I like it enough. Gonna do a simple MAC converted cross break style running around 1500 to 2000 watts. Hopefully it will come together quickly!

It should go together fine for you. The rear brake adapter is 40mm. I have a stealth bomber that's collecting dust. Single track is epic on a fat ebike. Nothing like going into a sandy sweeping turn with unlimited traction. If I had to choose one word to describe it I'd say SUREFOOTED. If your going mac maybe a 10 turn? I'll post a pic of a mac in the dropout.

This is a mac 6t in a wall fatty frame. Just for reference. Looks like it should bolt right up with room for dual torque arms. I'm sticking that mac in a salsa muckluk.

Attachments

• 13850755493390.jpg
    13850755493390.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3,407
I went to look at fat bikes today and decided on the Salsa Mukluk as well. The 3-4 other frames I saw had designs that would make mounting a LHS mid-drive difficult. Most of the steel frames had bends in the rear dropouts to accomodate the wide wheel while keeping the frame 'tight' and seemed to use a short hub with the disc brake recessed into the wheel. The Mukluk dropouts don't have the fancy bends and look closer to the walmart beast dropouts. The disc brake is much closer to the dropouts, and will make it easier to mount a chain on the left side without rubbing on the tire.

If I can't easily get a mid drive going, then the Mukluk is also a fantastic option for torquier hub motors as the rear dropouts are replaceable so you can easily cut some nice custom ones from thick steel to avoid welding/gluing torque arms.

duncanjerry said:
This is a mac 6t in a wall fatty frame. Just for reference. Looks like it should bolt right up with room for dual torque arms. I'm sticking that mac in a salsa muckluk.

Thanks for the pic! I am planning a mid drive MAC but the size reference is hilarious compared to a regular bike!!

does anyone know if the gng mid:-drive kit http://www.gngebike.com/450w-brushless-mud-guard
is a direct fit for the walmart fatty?

If so I will do one.

*edit* what is the bottom bracket size of the mongoose beast.?

Just ordered one of these in green as the front rack that held my battery cracked mid ride thanks to a little road in Chelsea, MA that I have to use called "the kings highway". It is called thus for two things, the strip club called king Arthur's that sits in the middle of it and that there is nothing around but wharehouses and their accompanying endless night and day semi trucks. So as you can imagine, the road is complete shiat and there are not many street lamps. That sick little combo has been kicking the crap out of my old early 00's Raleigh M80 that I've been commuting on. In five or more two ways over the route I've had two flats when I haven't had any in many months, broken headlight and a fender both vibrating apart.

I'm hoping that the big tires will take some of the vibration out. I found this great thread on mtbr that has not only a basic means of turning it FS but just about all the detailed tech questions you could have in the over 20 pages of info http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/mongoose-beast-modifications-846664.html

Look at this great repurposing of a gervin fork.

IMG_1843_zpsdbe8c8e0.jpg

Re; rebuilt Girder fork by mtbr- blown240 He has started a fork #2 build thread ( mo betta ) in the " Fat Bikes " at http://www.undergroundvelo.com He has also put out a feeler there for building fork conversion kits for sale.

That full suspension wall-fatty is cool and all but.............................................KISS.

Anybody see a reason NOT to use this for the front? On a budget and needing disks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007HOFXK4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?colid=P17HMQ5X2EBG&coliid=I1SE78XXPKXWIU&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC

Being that I cant afford a bafang bbs02 just now -- and having a couple of spare motors and controllers hanging about --- I'm gonna try to do a dual motor build on one of these. The hubs motors are both lowish power things. DD 2807 hub on the rear, and a geared hub on the front. 16s lifepo.

In another thread on fat bikes ( http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44696 ) Chalo said: "If you do use a Surly rim with side-by-side spoke holes, consider lacing to the opposite side of the rim to increase bracing angle. Hub motor flanges are usually pretty narrow, and lacing to the same-side holes of a rim like that would leave you with minimal lateral bracing."

Having read here for a number of years and laced up a number of my own hubs - I've come to take what Chalo says about this stuff seriously.

So -- What means this? Am I to lace the (looking from top) left motor rim flange to the right side spoke holes and visa versa? There by creating an "X" pattern of spokes as viewed from the top?

This would seem to increase the angles of the spokes laterally.

Will this give me stronger wheels than conventional lacing?

Are there down sides or any special treatment that I should consider if i go this route?

DSC05468.jpg
I bought a Walmart Beast intending to put a Bafang bbs02 on it but the Beast's bottom bracket is way too wide. I discovered it was very straightforward to add my old Stokemonkey to the Beast--no drills, hacksaws, or wheel building required. I don't mind it only has one speed. And the coaster brake is adequate since on snow the rolling resistance is so high I can slow down sufficiently simply by stopping pedaling. However I think I will add a front disc brake at some point. I have to agree with previous posters that this bike is really fun! There are trails near my house that I used to avoid in winter, that now I'm drawn to.

Boring details at http://bikes-as-transportation.com/behold-the-beast-low-cost-electric-fat-bike-conquers-snow/.

I remember in Southern California that..when it rained a little bit, the construction crews took a day off (they pretty much worked year-round). If you try to do that in Seattle, you wouldn't be working very often, so...construction crews in those areas can be seen working in some pretty serious rain. If you don't work, you don't get paid.

What I'm getting at is that the mainstream bicycle guys continue to laugh at fat bikes, but there are places in the world where there is snow on the ground half the year. Should they just ride their road-bike indoors on a set of rollers, while watching a video of the French countryside?

The Stoke-Monkey is a perfect fit for a fat-tire snow-bike. Though it might require a single-speed to handle the type of power needed to reliably travel serious distances in the snow.

Has anyone "snuck" bikes into Canada before? I'm going to drive down to the US at the end of the month to pick one or two of these up, was thinking about assembling them in the parking lot, getting some snow/dirt on them with a quick ride, then driving them back with a buddy. Would I need some kind of proof that I brought them into the US from Canada? If there's a big risk of getting in trouble for this I will just pay the duty, they are only $200 bikes.

I love mine so far! I have yet to power it but its just rediculous, boulders, 10" high curbs, it doesn't matter just ram it lol!! It'll go right over just about anything that doesn't high center it!!

Back