Weatherproof "Vehicle" Covers

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
Need recommendations for inexpensive (>$50 if possible, max of $100) vehicle covers I could use on the SB Cruiser trike.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833

Not just a "tarp", but a decent cover that I can very simply and quickly take out of the cargo area and put over the trike, and fairly quickly just pull off and put back in the cargo area.

I haven't made measurements in a while, but it is about 11 feet long from front of front tire to back of cargo area, about three feet wide (a bit less), and about 5 feet tall. A plain "box" shaped cover would be fine, though I didn't run across any in my searches.

I may need to be able to park my trike outside a workplace for whole shifts; it isn't weatherproof enough to handle that long term, and I am not certain enough of my abilities to ensure full waterproofing against some of the (rare) storms we have here. Additionally, the sun is intense, and a cover (as long as it is open underneath for some ventilation) will help keep direct sun off the parts of the trike where heat builds up otherwise (like especially the battery compartment, the box under the seat).

I've googled around some, but there is a huge range of types, qualities, etc., and I'd like opinions based on personal experience, at least for brands that might be reliable.

I prefer something that will last a good long time, but I realize that sun and weather will degrade them. So a single layer plastic cover wont' do; it'll disintegrate too quickly and tear too easily.

The primary thing is keeping rain off the majority of the trike from the sides and above (can't do much about splatter from below in intense storms).

Secondary is keeping it a bit cooler, though that goal is not completely compatible with waterproofing, since the former needs ventilation but the latter prevents that. ;)

Tertiary is potentially keeping people from messing with stuff on the trike, sitting on it, etc., when I am working and can't check on it. A cover at least makes them have to lift or take the cover off to do anything, so they wouldn't do it just "casually in passing", but would need actual intent to mess with it, which is less likely for most people. (if they intend to do something, it doesn't matter what I do with it, they'll do whatever they feel like).

In my hour or so of poking around, the closest thing I found within my budget is this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P27J62Z
in either the SUV or Sedan versions (I would guess the $45 Sedan one is so wide that it would still fit the trike height anyway, but the SUV one would almost certainly fit, and is only $5 more).

My way of doing it would be to size up your ebike to the same size of a vehicle. If you have a fairing on the front then you'd have to size up a small minivan or a newer mini cooper put on backwards. Mini coopers arent small compared to the o.g.'s

Your 11' long x 3' wide x 5' tall requirements come close to a mazda miata being 12.8" x 5.5" wide x 4.5' high https://www.ebay.com/itm/111974991773?fits=Model%3AMiata%7CMake%3AMazda&epid=1030460398&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a123ac79d:g:NgIAAOSwc1FXYezp&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSR84A%252FGMxXIqJzFmDq6lDLlT7YpeIxbsQw0SSjrt5MMujZDnAfqzzynvXX9vutXnYiCD29vNGB9VoWKDBtVvBo4getWegkO7QJWNyilz11J6130tRAyOxcfkIEW1P5QiG7QwQgxkNO%252BDPfd2ftyNnux%252BVY2H2C%252B%252B9uhkcxBGwesTdF8PlqV4ie3DT4TGEd6dM0EWAawWUKqY74rNVG0D5HLXE2i7eNudubtZ2qqE8utOpxQnFptaHW2TAaP5WMhhRhYQykOm9FA2oCxddCInVaXfXwcPQJDFeYWe5EKmQDnNcYXZuZft3flWxR9DgtiZmHWjFNOtEtqN53ToZh3a%252Boa1bdSc%252BU8MUMJWnycndUMOCqpxOXaFN%252FvygeiZFf2PRH7ObrwDezza%252B2c0iuuSACaJKiuZjCQZFyo358fnLOBzoeS%252B1BktecB6ECwF3jghIHUBK3gy0nye43pN%252ByQZ66a8GVQUbt8b4b11jHKOQBA55hbnaGgHaIH4v5b0wYcJy0n%252BglwsrHHmnZc4lOnDYwkmqAf5rz4DrTdiuWWe3cP3e8xGxeNPJVKs6oJw7UqdXEgQLyDx1Xgm1Ne9UT6KeOyZ6vFFlN%252BII59Svmep4%252Bfr6g%252FZ0M3XPMIsPuuKwIr8bmfkscys%252FPlFmBnv7xAyWl3dNFuxHb4FIEia5CL9HS%252FSqsWp1zAXymSteVEwZEDjtxdnLuO0EyEGTnZq08%252FrzUxLshoOa2vxqnJJ%252ByV0pXUI%252FIigubKQyFWmHDtp7w1xg8s6Dz9SYxgaEIKAd23xG5sPpgIv2QqIQCJPDZzhlpY6dH2uGWns6iTo8EdJPra0uze4lKs5OuwU8p6%252Fa9xrmdQ%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7NfCyslf
Shipping:
FREE Economy Shipping | See details
Located in:
Los Angeles, California, United States
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181008748764?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2a24f650dc:g:K-EAAOSw7PBTodnr&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACsPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS7UXID%252BRPOSNsnm8kYPghtHDtBhObGYe2x649UAz9vUTUsDggJEkEJ4b2tDyMb%252FQKjxJGU4YMWnfLkEwVdfL%252BU6WW9uFzwJvP32KDL%252Feaf54cZwBFeD%252F2ZHp8AzerrthKp7ozWIGK3T0NzKuDtxCGEZO0q9%252FfWKIhdjWlXhTcHqzo2OTCIgGYPaILjZLL0%252BTcEiz%252FGvVKKW0Unlt7Yk1dW8tJS8XdhfSRTPmjQAZaonHPV%252FPgW9CfQ44q2Z4W9Nrb2zjiR6%252FlvHvMiAsiRnGZSEsBDYtVt7z22ojFf8H0yBMIQmPLcrdqaVKpTWOUmqSFQ0E9KthZtSccGgaBX%252B7y7s%252FjjTU0qTeJoKvnowZYGAJY3dViLMA8wMqNUUDhJMk6OyWs3E%252FM6rIxiVMwLqJWL2QVlnZsKEdkOMsd0g4qCFq6pAWzYSe5RXBb4EJCcZceXC8D9hEbD1LOyegAL82zkWtoxLrM63qYCcHsapLV7Z%252BmZE7PsheMB6Ri5MjFstsvsTgeRHq4dOx2JczKFBAGGgUShf03g5wKCtXIxLGo8TffKPsajtnW8trAPjaoghxPkt03vQ09nWVl2WvEeuD4ZsZttu0OM7p%252BUmQjLSwSqGEsGk6zYdPzBaL9XBPGxvy7TKXbPrLKMUfy89VrsmvT2Dcxjlgih4hMiYIoTkVtdH%252Fs7N2vfudqYcblj57GPkpG7CZL1Y11YlNequ8tJoGmtbVdtGYTcHsmMn6Rk1B%252Bj7aosg0BZwpK5I70FWmc29VQ7gwzUdYVobXRymOEM51PM7PPkFzNiFduaomhg8ZRFQB3QVuJumwRG2txg6PMqBcQ5fX4HgdKOiTvvuSQNu5%252BIR0u2F8NMxOMc70JwZMRhwI%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMtpDPyslf

Try checking out The Cover Store for options. They have so many sizes off-the-shelf you're bound to find one that'll work.

My experience: I found this vendor after the flimsy/cheap ebay bike cover didn't work out. Apparently there's a science behind balancing weather protection, durability, and breath-ability of the material. While this size won't work for your trike, here's the bike cover that worked for me. Going with a lighter color and 300D material (they call WeatherTite+Max) is the way to go IMO.

If you're using for transportation, it helps a great deal to use elastic cords to keep the cover + stitching from flapping itself apart in the wind. Straps could also help as an extra step to deter theft/vandalism in your case.

Thanks. Their stuff appears decent, but they have little actual detail, not much in the way of actual photographs of the materials and construction on each cover. Better than many of the other places, but not enough to judge quality/usefulness much, if any, more than the other places.

Unfortunately a cover that will do what I want (with the WeatherTite+Max) and is large enough is far too expensive, at almost $225, on this page
https://www.the-cover-store.com/vehicle-covers/golf-cart-covers
The $150 one might work, but it's still too expensive, especially not knowing how it is made. (maybe once I have been working again long enough, it might be affordable)

I also couldn't determine if their covers are multilayer (except for the "form-fit" version that isn't listed as available in any of the covers I could use, and starts over $300 anyway, twice even the next lesser alternative) or just the single "woven polyester" layer stuff. A single layer is much much less durable because anything that makes a nick or starts a stress-crack that becomes a tear in it is now a hole from inside to outside. A double or multilayer will have a tear in the one layer, but the other layers will still cover the hole, and it will last longer before disintegrating.

They don't have any other ones that are large enough in all dimensions, except for car/truck ones that are much larger than I need. None of their custom options can be made large enough. (which is pretty stupid; you'd think that if they custom make stuff they could custom make "any" cover, but they only have a limited range of sizes / etc, meaning they aren't really custom, they are just "variants" of the ones they already sell).

BTW, whoever designed their website needs some re-education. The main page only even shows patio furniture / outdoor backyard stuff covers, and doesn't indicate in any way that they even sell other kinds of covers, even in the pictures you can scroll left/right. There is *one* picture in the stuff that autoscrolls at the *bottom* of the page, far out of view until you scroll at least two pages down, that includes a cover partly over a bicycle, but there's no indication of vehicle covers, or any of the several other types they sell, or the custom covers they can make. :roll:

You have to notice and then click on the tiny "hamburger menu" (three horizontal lines) to find that they have anything else. They need to have that information available right there on their main page, front and center, if they really want incoming customers to know they have that and sell this stuff.

I actually found this site in a list of sites that sell covers originally, but when I opened the page and saw nothing about any useful cover for my purposes, I left and didnt' go back. The hamburger menu symbol is not very visible on my screen because I am using a "dark mode" browser view, and that symbol on their page is black. (same with their "cart" symbol).

Back